carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Wow!

Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:01 am

Oh, so that's what a Howler looks like. I've always thought those were P-10/15s with different thingies attached to rotator. The cone is bent, I think.

murrfarms
YouTube Username: murrfarms

Re: Wow!

Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:25 am

carexpertandy wrote:Oh, so that's what a Howler looks like. I've always thought those were P-10/15s with different thingies attached to rotator. The cone is bent, I think.
Yep, that's an ACA Howler. It's a lot like a P-10/15, except it uses belts to rotate it rather than the Penetrator's chain-driven rotator. It is pretty much a 10hp Screamer turned on its side with a projector and a rotator. About the cone, a tornado that came through the area back on mother's day of this year, and literally just about sucked the intake cone through the screen. It was held on by a single lower bolt, but now it appears that it has come completely loose, and I bet that the next activation will knock it out.

carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:28 am

[quote="mr_thunderbolt1003"][quote="carexpertandy"]Oh, so that's what a Howler looks like. I've always thought those were P-10/15s with different thingies attached to rotator. The cone is bent, I think.[/quote]

Yep, that's an ACA Howler. It's a lot like a P-10/15, except it uses belts to rotate it rather than the Penetrator's chain-driven rotator. It is pretty much a 10hp Screamer turned on its side with a projector and a rotator. About the cone, a tornado that came through the area back on mother's day of this year, and literally just about sucked the intake cone through the screen. It was held on by a single lower bolt, but now it appears that it has come completely loose, and I bet that the next activation will knock it out.[/quote]

Is it as loud as a Screamer?

murrfarms

Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:41 am

carexpertandy wrote:Is it as loud as a Screamer?
From what I've heard, it's about 120dB @ 100', whereas the S-10 Screamer is around 100-110dB (not sure on the exact number). Since the Howler is a directional siren, it's going to be a lot louder than the omni-directional Screamer

Tannre

Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:53 am

Wow nice find Ian! Great pictures!
Tanner L - Your one of only a handful of siren experts of the Oregon area!

thunderbolt1000

Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:57 am

When was it installed, Ian?

murrfarms

Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:02 am

thunderbolt1000 wrote:When was it installed, Ian?
Not sure, depends on if it's an original installation or if it was bought second-hand and installed there. As far as the siren's age, I'd have to guess early 80s since the siren, aside from the intake cone, is in really good shape. Minimal to no rust on any of the metal parts, and the fiberglass is nice and smooth with no chipping and cracking.

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:36 pm

mr_thunderbolt1003 wrote:
carexpertandy wrote:Is it as loud as a Screamer?
From what I've heard, it's about 120dB @ 100', whereas the S-10 Screamer is around 100-110dB (not sure on the exact number). Since the Howler is a directional siren, it's going to be a lot louder than the omni-directional Screamer
It's new and improved, Screamer in a Can!

thunderbolt1000

Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:37 pm

What does a howler sound like? :?:
Proud to be a tour bus driver/owner.

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:19 am

thunderbolt1000 wrote:What does a howler sound like? :?:
Most had 9/12 port configurations (sounds like a banshee or SD-10) but some left the factory with 8/12 configs (sounds like a P-50).

I've also heard that they made a few single tone port howlers (could somebody verify this), which would sound like a single tone allertor or P-15.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”