dilloncarpenter

Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:12 am

My problem is not the forum being outdated, I'm living with that just fine and dandy. But it's the insane amount of kiddies on here posting a bunch of pointless stuff, reviving threads that are years old (this is an example), acting like they know what they're talking about when they're wrong on something, etc. It gets on my nerves pretty quick. There's no moderation like there used to be.
Kicking it in the siren party since '08

uncommonsense

Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:20 am

dilloncarpenter wrote:My problem is not the forum being outdated, I'm living with that just fine and dandy. But it's the insane amount of kiddies on here posting a bunch of pointless stuff, reviving threads that are years old (this is an example), acting like they know what they're talking about when they're wrong on something, etc. It gets on my nerves pretty quick. There's no moderation like there used to be.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I think being a kid is just WAY different than it was even a few years ago. Unfortunately, being a kid in 2012 comes with a sense of entitlement and arrogance (calling people out for being dead wrong or being out of line is hardly bullying--it's life and kids need to learn to cope because its all that much worse in the "real world"). No one is watching outside of cyberspace on what goes on in cyberspace to make sure it's met with decorum. Or if there is monitoring, we live in a "my kid can do no wrong" culture that shelters them and stunts them.

Back when I was a "kiddie", you asked and you learned and if you were wrong...oops...sorry...now I know. Or if you made a post that was utterly pointless...someone said "who cares?"...oops, sorry, move on. Unfortunately, today, it's total unmoderated recklessness.
Last edited by uncommonsense on Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

ACCWA

Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:28 am

I admit that I'm a kiddie, when I joined here I wasn't really grammar-equipped. I am now in the process of maturity and "growing up", not sure how other people think of me.
In need of Synth Experts, Siren Experts, & Moderators on MSS & More 2.0! Please help by joining MSS now! metrosirensynths.forumotion.com

Urbanexplorer
YouTube Username: 500 Internal Server Error

Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:33 pm

Back in 2005, I was eleven years old and had just discovered Brent Willcox's database of Texas sirens. I joined the forums and was quickly suspended for making posts that an eleven-year-old would make. I still have a printout of the email that Adam sent me explaining why I was suspended. (Incidentally, when I rejoined the new forums a year later as "Conky 2000", no one remember who I was on the old forum or what transgressions I had committed against the siren community. :lol: )

Dillon and uncommonsense are right in that there is literally almost no moderation on the forum nowadays. For a laugh, go way back in the help section and see how many threads about the "new" karma system you find. Then see how many of those were locked for being pointless. That's exactly how the board used to be moderated.

I guess my point is that the forum is a lot more open to kids now. Not always welcoming, but usually tolerant. Six or seven years ago, several of the youngest members on here would have been banned in a flash. Not saying I like how it is now, but I guess you younger members really have something to be thankful for.
<Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
Formerly known as "Conky 2000".

dilloncarpenter

Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:50 pm

Thank you guys for actually agreeing with me.

Back when I was a kiddie (not too long ago actually...) I got several warnings from people telling me to improve my posting habits. I really liked this board back then, so I quickly changed. Like uncommonsense said; "oops, sorry.." then move on. My karma score went from about -5 to 101. (getting into that in a little bit) Kids nowadays don't listen to anything you tell them, and they think they're always right. What sucks is, in the end, they get the benefit of the doubt because the moderators don't do anything on here anymore.

Speaking of karma, I have a rant on that too. These kiddies that we're talking about overuse it a lot. It hardly matters anymore what karma you have because it gets abused. Sure, it might have been a good system at first. Sure, it was a little exciting to get to 100 karma for me..but did I deserve it? I know a lot of people on here who deserve their karma score, whether it be positive or negative. The opposite is true. I'm going to call on someone real quick, thewoog. I know you don't care about karma at all. But you have changed a lot since you first joined and your karma doesn't reflect it. You don't deserve the karma score you have. But is anything going to be done about it? Probably not.

ACCWA

Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:08 pm

I have a confession to make, as you may see in my signature, I am Siren Boy (Metro Siren Synths). When I was "Banned" (you might say) I was sort of a mental bomb on this forum. Now I've figured that if I throw the past behind me and grow up, I would be better appreciated around here, so I figured I've been steady on here, no breakdowns.

I think I can get along well on here, (don't know if its necessary to bring this up again) since kaleidowolf left.
In need of Synth Experts, Siren Experts, & Moderators on MSS & More 2.0! Please help by joining MSS now! metrosirensynths.forumotion.com

Trevor
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:13 pm

ANOTHER ACCOUNT?!?! Are you joking with me?!?! This is getting ridiculous. I'm borderline wanting to leave this forum for good for TSB.
Trevor
AirRaidSirens.com Moderator
[email protected]

dilloncarpenter

Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:14 pm

While it might have been a good idea to leave for a little bit...a few days wasn't what I had in mind. It would have been better if you had waited until maybe February.

ACCWA

Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:38 pm

firealarm211 wrote:ANOTHER ACCOUNT?!?! Are you joking with me?!?! This is getting ridiculous. I'm borderline wanting to leave this forum for good for TSB.
Just to let you know I'm NOT going back to TSB. Final. It's here, MSS, or nothing.

Civil D Siren
YouTube Username: jjjjentges

Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:54 pm

ACCWA wrote:I am Siren Boy (Metro Siren Synths)

This won't end well
Last edited by Civil D Siren on Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live ACA/ASC! Made in Wisconsin!

My Siren Recordings: http://www.youtube.com/user/jjjjentges?feature=mhee

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”