Notre.Dame1003

Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:03 am

The Defender is a roatating 10V. I think it would be neat to see a full line of rotating sirens from Sentry.
"When it comes to great steaks, I've just raised the stakes."

-Noie, Director of sarcasm-

Federal Signal RX, Model A, Model D

Youtube
Facebook

Jim Z

Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:07 am

Notre.Dame1003 wrote:The Defender is a roatating 10V. I think it would be neat to see a full line of rotating sirens from Sentry.
*shrug* most of their one-pager marketing stuff touts the fact that their sirens are non-rotating, so I dunno if they'd want to do an about-face like that.
holler wrote:I hope they found a way around the volkswagen sized battery box it takes to run that sucker.
I don't see how; they use 72 volt motors so that means you need at least six batteries, and they tout 10 minute run time on battery power so I'd wager they have 12 batteries in the cabinet. Them's big.
Last edited by Jim Z on Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:12 am

The Defender wasn't the best design of a siren. I do like omnidirectionals better, but the Defender wasn't THAT efficient and wasn't very loud. If they made a P-50 out of a 40v2t, who knows how loud that would get? Even making a rotating 10V would be a decent idea. However, rotating sirens go against their main advertising point, that omnidirectionals require less maintenance. Which is true. I'm also not a huge fan of 8/16 being used for dual tone.
Dude, just stop because the more you say the less you make sense.

First of all, utilizing the 40V's 10 port rotor is what I mentioned in the post that you quoted.

Second, the Defender wasn't that bad and was certainly better than a 2001. Just as Notre. Dame. said it was basically a 10V in a can, so I suggest you check your facts before you make a statement. Loudness really doesn't mean squat if your super loud siren fades out by 1/2 mile. Even with it's simple horn design it would carry pretty far. They rated it at 127 DB which is the same as a P-15.

Sentry may not like directonal sirens, but a large percentage of bids specify a rotating siren.

8/16 works great, so does 8/8. Old sterlings would scream, so what makes you think 8/16 is such a bad idea?

Best of all, the defender wasn't very expensive, and utilized a very solid and proven siren design.

If you would hear a model 3 in person, and then a 10V, it should be apparent which one is louder to begin with and has more potential. Unfortunately the 10V hasn't really been pushed to it's limit.

AQHort

Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:41 am

holler wrote:
The Defender wasn't the best design of a siren. I do like omnidirectionals better, but the Defender wasn't THAT efficient and wasn't very loud. If they made a P-50 out of a 40v2t, who knows how loud that would get? Even making a rotating 10V would be a decent idea. However, rotating sirens go against their main advertising point, that omnidirectionals require less maintenance. Which is true. I'm also not a huge fan of 8/16 being used for dual tone.
Dude, just stop because the more you say the less you make sense.

First of all, utilizing the 40V's 10 port rotor is what I mentioned in the post that you quoted.

Second, the Defender wasn't that bad and was certainly better than a 2001. Just as Notre. Dame. said it was basically a 10V in a can, so I suggest you check your facts before you make a statement. Loudness really doesn't mean squat if your super loud siren fades out by 1/2 mile. Even with it's simple horn design it would carry pretty far. They rated it at 127 DB which is the same as a P-15.

Sentry may not like directonal sirens, but a large percentage of bids specify a rotating siren.

8/16 works great, so does 8/8. Old sterlings would scream, so what makes you think 8/16 is such a bad idea?

Best of all, the defender wasn't very expensive, and utilized a very solid and proven siren design.

If you would hear a model 3 in person, and then a 10V, it should be apparent which one is louder to begin with and has more potential. Unfortunately the 10V hasn't really been pushed to it's limit.
I wouldn't nescessarily say better than a 2001. 2001s from an engineering standpoint have a very efficient design, and are pretty durable under proper conditions. Also, unlike the 2001, the defender had a large rotator. However, from a sound standpoint, the Defender was better with its lower tone. In all, I would say they were about equal, leaning towards the 2001 being better in efficiency.

SirenMadness

Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:06 pm

If they made a P-50 out of a 40v2t, who knows how loud that would get?
Good luck fitting two rotors separated by a large motor, in a single horn. I wouldn't mind seeing a 40V in the form of a two-head Sterling, though. 8)
~ Peter Radanovic

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”