Siren Man

Purdue University (West Lafayette) Sirens

Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:33 pm

I just noticed that a 2T22 was taken down and replaced with an Eclipse. I'd go get it myself if I could but that's out of the question. So if anyone out there can call up Purdue and try to save it from the scrap heap, go right ahead. There were other 2T22s and an STH-10 around campus but I haven't walked by them to see if they were replaced also or not.
Have: A-4 Vibratone bell, Model 60 klaxon.

bmeiser
YouTube Username: squiddy7863

Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:36 pm

You beat me to it! I was going to post something about this as well. All the other campus sirens (including the one in my avatar) are still in place. I'm not sure what happened to this one to cause it to need to be replaced. Last I heard, it was working just fine. The STH-10 is the one that needs replaced, or at least fixed. It has some motor issues.

The Thunderbolt on top of West Lafayette High School was replaced as well. A 2001-130 sits near where the T-bolt was on the roof of the high school. The T-bolt was apparently damaged in a storm sometime last year.

As for obtaining the siren, I would imagine it was the county that took it down and not Purdue although I do not know for sure. Purdue can control the sirens on campus but they do not maintain any of them.

I don't have anywhere to store a siren so somebody else can have at it, if they can figure out where it went.

cmoore

Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:23 pm

That's messed up, but the other xT22 on campus is still up right?

And ya'll should film a video of the ambiance. I'm anxious to hear what the "new" system sounds like!
Naptown Sirens

bmeiser

Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:35 pm

Yea, the rest of them are still up. I don't live up there anymore so I won't be getting a recording any time soon. I might be able to get one around football season though.

Travis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: DL1011

Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:32 pm

Sorry to revive an old topic, but I was on Campus the beginning of this week....All of the XT22's are gone and have been replaced with Eclipse-8's. I didn't get a chance to go check out the Hilltop STH-10, but I would imagine that it has been up-gauged as well.

bmeiser

Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:47 pm

Travis, I was throughly surprised when Matt told me you found that out. The one on the Pharmacy building that was originally replaced was struck by lightning and that is why it was replaced. As far as I knew, the others were working just fine. Maybe they've opted for battery backup, which is a good move. Did you notice a battery pack on the one at the playground at Purdue Village?

Next time I'm up there, I'll head up to Hilltop to see if the STH has been replaced. Like you said, I'm sure it has been as well.

It's sad to see the old sirens go; I loved the ambiance at Purdue. It's good to see them being replaced with Eclipses though. I'm kind of surprised that they didn't take this opportunity to install Mods so that they could have voice capabilities.

thewoog34
YouTube Username: Thewoog34

Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:36 pm

I happen to like Eclipses too. Definitely more than I like the STH-10. I'll still take a Sentry over an Eclipse though.
What happened when Napoleon went to Mt. Olive? Popeye got pissed.

http://www.youtube.com/thewoog34

bmeiser

Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:42 pm

According to this webpage, there are two new sirens on campus that I didn't know about:

http://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/qt/2011/ ... nInfo.html

One at the new grand prix track and one at the physical facilities building. Birds eye and satellite imagery are too outdated to show them. Now I really need to make a trip up there and do some hunting!

I also found this video of a tornado warning in West Lafayette where you can clearly hear the sick STH-10. If it has been replaced, it was after November 14th, when this video was shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AIJzqcRr5o

Travis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: DL1011

Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:48 pm

I didn't get to go around and look for all the sirens, so some of my previous statements were based on assumption. It's possible they may have just moved some around?

bmeiser

Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:23 am

I dunno. I think they added two more. All the old locations are still on there. Matt also found this Facebook post from Purdue Police that suggests they're upgrading all of the sirens:

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?s ... 0760329651

I emailed a bunch of questions to the EMA director about the new system and I will post his answers on here if he allows it.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”