bmeiser
YouTube Username: squiddy7863

Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:24 am

Update:

Drove around campus today. All of Purdue's old sirens have been replaced with Eclipses with battery backup. The new eclipses were placed in the same locations as the old sirens. Purdue also added two more sirens to their (and the county's) system on Purdue property slightly off of the main campus. Both are 2001-130s. One is located at the Physical Facilities building south of campus and one at the Grand Prix track / Tennis Center NW of campus. I'll post pictures later.

BadgerSiren

Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:06 am

bmeiser wrote:Purdue also added two more sirens to their (and the county's) system on Purdue property slightly off of the main campus. Both are 2001-130s.
This is slightly tangential but you have me thinking: why would a campus install and maintain its own siren system, and I'm guessing here that Purdue's sirens are a part of the county's system, and not use voice-capable sirens? I may be misunderstanding you here, though.
A resident of arguably the most siren-diverse county in history.

bmeiser

Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:11 am

Well, it's Kind of complicated. Purdue's sirens are part of the county system in that when Tippecanoe County activates sirens within the zone that Purdue is in, Purdue's sirens sound. Purdue also has the ability to activate their sirens on their own (for a campus emergency, etc). It would appear that Purdue maintains its system separately from the county, but allows it to be activated by the county. I've emailed the EMA director a bunch of questions about Purdue / Tippecanoe county's sirens, but haven't heard back from him yet.

bmeiser

Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:26 am

Pictures:

Earhart Hall:

Grand Prix Track:

Hilltop Apartments:

Pharmacy Building (sorry this was taken with my old phone):

Physical Facilities:

Purdue Village:

I believe the only one that I don't have a picture of is the one on top of Hawkins hall. It's a 15 story building, so it's hard to get a good angle. I got a picture of the 2T22 that was up there from on top of an adjacent parking garage, but apparently the new siren is on the other side of the roof because I can't see it from the parking garage.

Ziginox

Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:39 pm

Say, did anyone else notice the different style handles on the cabinets?

TimeAttack

Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:52 am

I've noticed on the service connect handle there is no lock on it. Can someone just run up to it and turn the handle to "off"?

bmeiser

Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:02 am

I noticed that too. It would appear that one could just go up there and turn the power off to the siren, but I wasn't going to try. It also looks like some of the control boxes are missing locks.

Ziginox

Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:18 am

bmeiser wrote:I noticed that too. It would appear that one could just go up there and turn the power off to the siren, but I wasn't going to try. It also looks like some of the control boxes are missing locks.
I noticed the missing lock on the disconnect as well, and about the locks on the cabinets, it appears that Federal Signal changed them. On the 2001-130s and Modulator that I have seen they had a small knob at the top and a keyhole at the bottom instead of a single handle with a space for a padlock.

Travis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: DL1011

Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:10 am

bmeiser wrote:I noticed that too. It would appear that one could just go up there and turn the power off to the siren, but I wasn't going to try. It also looks like some of the control boxes are missing locks.
Well we all know how crime-ridden PU is.... LOL

bmeiser

Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:13 am

Oh I know! Soon I'll wake up to 4 separate text messages from the university telling me somebody set the sirens off :D .

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”