footose

Restoring Klaxon Horn

Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:29 pm

Hey Guys.

My Dad has been holding onto this horn since his childhood. As the "story goes", he got it from a Rolls Royce (or some car) out of HIS dad's car dealership back in Scotland (we live in canada now). I guess this horn made it across with them when they came here ~30 years ago. It's been sitting in our garage for as long as I can remember (I'm 25).

I thought it would be cool to restore it for him for christmas, since he has always talked about it. Kind of a "mini overhaul". I was able to 'steal' it without him noticing (yet!). I've sent out all of the brass pieces, the horn and the rear portion with the stamping on it to have it re-brassed. I also have the motor out getting refurbed (Just took it to an reputable alternator place).

There are a few pieces of my "restoration" that are still missing that maybe some of you could have advice on.

1) The steel piece that the rotator rubbs against to make the "ahh ooo gahh" noise has worn down over the years of use. The gear that rubs it looks completely fine, but the actual diaphram with the rivet on it has worn out.

Is there any recommendation on what I could replace this with? I've attempted to buy other horns in the hopes that I could steal or use their diaphram / rivet, but that hasn't been helpful at all as they are really difficult to find. I really want to get it working espically after all the work of rebrassing it and whatnot. I was thinking of having the plate taken to a shop and having them weld a piece of metal onto it, then i could grind it down to make it work.. i'm totally stumped on this, and i could use some help!

Thanks guys.

Here are some pictures of before I sent it out for brass / refurb.

footose

Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:01 pm

bump? :D

StonedChipmunk

Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:07 pm

Bumped. Come on people, just help the guy for a Christmas present... excuse me to anyone who hates Christianity and its various customs... and this guy is trying to help out his own dad. I'd be heartbroken if I couldn't get it done in time... And it's of such sentimental value. Think of how happy his dad would be when he finds this in perfect, restored, working order.

My opinion? Send it to the metal shop. Maybe they can weld something on there to make it so that it gets rid of that wear and tear.

EDIT: And send some pictures our way when it gets back from the rebrassing place.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence indicating that you tried.

Jim_Ferer

Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:20 pm

It would seem to me a diaphragm could be fabricated without too much trouble, and the rivet added... I'm getting an image of a certain Hilti fastener.. wish I could give you a catalog number.

footose

Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:01 pm

Thanks guys! That is my first plan right now.. Taking it to a shop and having a piece welded on. I guest next option would be like Jim says and have a whole new diaphgram fabricated. It could probably be made straight out of alumnium or something. I'm not sure what effect that would have on the sound!

I will keep everyone here updated on the progress :D I should have the brass parts back before the end of the week so I will definately post pictures.

The Brass place I am using is http://www.shineguard.com/, the guy's name is John. Very Helpful guy!!!

I'm not sure what a "Hilti fastener.." is.. website possibly??

And ya, I'd like to get this all done before christmas of course! Looks like I'm on the right track, but this last obsticle could kill the whole project!

There aren't many people out there (on the internet anyway) with these horns, this website is the closest I've found!

Jim_Ferer

Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:33 pm

What was the diaphragm made out of originally? I'm guessing brass might be a good choice.

I think trying to weld or braze a new piece on the striker pin (for want of a better word) is going to be tougher than a new piece like a rivet that goes right through the diaphragm so that it's really fixed well.

I tried to find a picture of he Hilti fastener I was thinking of, but I couldn't. Sorry.

Good luck. You've cut it pretty close for Christmas, but I hope it happens.

Daniel

Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:41 am

You'll want to be sure that the pin or rivet is of the same metal as the ratchet, or a metal of the same hardness, or else one of them will wear quickly. It is a beautiful horn and a very thoughtful Christmas gift. You'll have to post a sound file when you're finished with it.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

footose

Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:41 am

:D I think the original piece isn't brass. Actually I have it right here, I'll snap a picture of it..
Good luck. You've cut it pretty close for Christmas, but I hope it happens.
Yah! I thought over a month would be plenty of time, but I kinda just thought it up! Hopefully it comes together at the end really quickly. Like I said, the Brass will be back this week and I should have it all back together by next week.

footose

Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:30 pm

Hey Guys. Haven't been around much in the last 2 weeks because of school / x-mas.. but.. here's an update on the horn..

Just got the brass pieces back from the brasser, and it looks freaking good. I also had the motor rebuilt. I put it together and had a test, but I'm going to strip it again and make sure its mint before christmas! here are some shots. The thing is freaking LOUD too, I need to adjust it to make sure its working 100%, and its kinda echoy in the garage.. i'll get more shots later.

You'll notice a few "dents" and "dings" in the horn, but it was decided that they best be left in there incase the brass cracked when hammering it out (This horn is probably close to 80 - 90 years old)

Here is how it sounds... before final assmebly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcXZANQneB8

This is the piece I had welded (Thanks to Jason @ Forigen Automotive!!!) that makes the sound!

AllSafe

Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:58 pm

you ought to put that horn out in the open and make another test recording.

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”