3t22
YouTube Username: federal3t22

AF hook up help

Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:02 am

Yesterday I decided to blow the dust off of my AF and see if it even worked. I got it powered, but I'm not sure on how to hook something up to see if the timer functions properly. I was told by the previous owner that the attack microswitch was fried, but when I push attack or any signal button the relays clicks on, and the timer activates for 3 minutes (I timed it earlier), but when I tried to hook up one of my 120VAC horns nothing happened. so my questions are, 1 can you even run a 120VAC device directly off of it (I know you can't run an outdoor warning siren using it alone and I've heard an A/L/D can be run off of one alone), and 2 does anyone have a copy of the manual and wiring diagram? I wanted to use it with the 2T and a motor starter for New years, but if worse comes to worse I'll set the 2T off manualy on a push button starter.

Justin

Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:21 am

Hmm

I would say wiring almost anything to the timer wouldn't work as the rails won't give enough juice to run the device. A transformer would help here, but don't ask me how wiring goes; I have no experience with timers of this sort or that old.

Is it single-phase or triple-phase?

For the manuals, you'll probably have to phone up the manufacturer and see if they still stock one or two, or in PDF format.

If worse comes to worse, you could probably fashion a simple, single signal timer from a few electrical components. Only if the AF timer doesn't work.

::Re-write::
I found a motor controller circuit with a potentiometer which you can use to control the motors speed and thus the signal created. Be careful, this is for a DC motor, a converter may be needed. A transformer will also be required.

http://www.dprg.org/tutorials/2005-11a/index.html

PWM means Pulse Width Modulation, which essentially is power bursting. What this is, a voltage is applied on and off extremely rapidly before the motor has enough time to slow and you can control speed by varying what's called the duty cycle. So a 10% duty cycle will result in a slow speed, 100% the motor will be constantly on.

It's probably not the best solution, but at least it's one.
Hope this helps.

cdvtripleseven

Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:57 am

The Thunderbolt manual states about the AR/AF timers....

The output circuitry is electrically independent of the
timing circuitry.Consequently, the output circuit can utilize
up to 480V. The capacity of the microswitch contacts in the
signal circuit is 15 amperes AC or 1/4 ampere DC.

Here's a pic of the inside of my AF timer and how I hook
it up to run like an AF timer. I put a jumper between
terminals 1 and 2 on the main terminal strip. I then hook
up what I want to switch to terminals 2 and 3. Since this
timer is a 120/240 AF timer and I power it with 120V I
hook my plug to 9 and 10 on the main terminal strip.
You also need to put a jumper across terminals 15 and 16
of the small terminal strip if you don't already have a jumper
there. If there is no jumper there the timer will cancel itself
as soon as the button is released. I hope the photo is clear.
Dad, what does that CD mean on that big yellow horn? Well son, I believe it stands for Cyclone Device......

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:12 am

You can run a model A or L off of it directly, but anything larger definately not. And like Eric said, make sure you got a jumper between terminals.

3t22
YouTube Username: federal3t22

Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:03 am

Thanks Eric and Jason. I'll test this out tomorrow.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”