Melvin Potts

How good Are ATI's?

Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:42 pm

Not very good, IMHO.

Nashville has 70 of these devices located around the city.

There's one at a school about 1/2 mile from my house. Some test days(1st Saturday at noon) I've never heard it. Others faintly; have only heard it loudly enough to recognize if atmospheric conditions are right or wind is blowing this way.

There's another ATI at school about 3 blocks from the church where I am organist. I mentioned this on another ATI post. Two weeks ago I stopped practicing a couple minutes before noon so I could listen for the test.

My "headquarters" is near front of sanctuary on side facing the school. I heard the siren. However, if it had been sounded on a Sunday, I doubt that it would have been heard in that area.even if I weren't playing.

The Nashville ATIs just sound like a high pitched electronic squeal. I've never heard a "startup" or "winddown" from them.
Last edited by Melvin Potts on Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2001srnfan

Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:08 pm

Enough of the ATI talk, everyone already knows the locations, specifications, dimwitted tones, etc... Every week an ATI thread comes up.
Owner of Ontario Severe Weather Forecasting
http://www.scostorms.com

40V2T22

Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:33 am

The wail tone is often confused with a hi-lo tone, making the siren SUCK!

AllSafe

Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:34 am

The sirens work until the tornado comes...
Same thing with radio or TV. A lightning strike ripped out the aerial on a TV transmitting tower east of here a couple of years back. They still have the old aerial sitting on the ground right behind the transmitting site.
Ich spreche nicht Deutsch...doh!

Melvin Potts

How good Are ATI's?

Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:28 pm

Nashville still tests the system of ATIs at noon each 1st Saturday.

Yesterday I went to Elmington Park shortly before noon. This park is in front of West End Middle School, where one of the ATIs is located.

The siren is on S side of the campus. I parked at N end of parking lot..about a block from the siren.

The ATI sounded off at noon just as scheduled. There was no startup; just a sudden high pitched squeal for about 20 seconds, then the device shut off.

This is the same ATI I heard inside church sanctuary last month.

Even outside..and about a block away..it' was a pathetic sound. Somewhere on this board someone made the remark that ATI sound is "annoying." I have to agree with that opinion.

pyramid head

Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:57 pm

From what I have seen all over, ATI and the word "good" do not belong in the same sentance. :lol:
Pyramid head walks into a bar... there are no survivors.

SirenMadness

Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:55 am

Well, tomorrow, I will get to hear the ATI sirens from Sarnia, unless they get drowned out by the Modulator. :roll:
~ Peter Radanovic

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:57 am

SirenMadness wrote:Well, tomorrow, I will get to hear the ATI sirens from Sarnia, unless they get drowned out by the Modulator. :roll:
Modulators pack a punch, no contest.

SirenMadness

Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:59 am

Yeah, I'm gonna have to be careful if I'm going to hear more than just the Modulator.
~ Peter Radanovic

SirenMadness

Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:32 pm

Well, I've heard the ATIs and the Modulator, and the ATI sirens seem to be a tad bit louder than I thought!! However, the sound... ohhh! :lol: The ATI sirens did a hi-lo signal, an alert signal, and a whoop signal, as I remember it. I have also heard a dual-tone Thunderbolt from Michigan. I never knew that the ATI siren could broadcast a voice message! The Modulator did two rounds of Westminster chimes as its work-out today. Overall, the ATI did better than I thought that they would, though they still disappointed me. Mike: if you go to Sarnia, you will find that they have added an extra cell to their Modulator; the Modulator has four cells now.
~ Peter Radanovic

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”