Elliott

Collectors?

Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:02 pm

Just wondering who here may also collect lights and beacon, etc.
I may have to group all of mine for a picture soon.

I have the following:
Sho-Me Stealth- Red, Amber, Clear
Federal Fireball Red Teardrop
Code 3 PSE Amber 550 Beacon
1970's(?) Red Tripp-lite Strobe Beacon, 120 volt
w/ older fresnel lens
Code 3 Dashlaser M, Red/Clear
Code 3 Dashlaser, Green
Code 3 Force 4 LP Minibar, Green
Federal JetSonic, being converted to JetStream
Napa Two Beam Red Rotating Beacon
Red Tripp-Lite Beacon (dash style)
Grimes (now Honeywell) Aircraft Beacon, anti-collision
Starlite PURPLE rotating beacon, 120 Volt
Edwards Red Rotating beacon, 120 volt
Edwards Green Rotating Beacon, 120 Volt
Federal "square" red rotating signal, 120 volt
Federal Red Beacon Ray, 120 volt (works like a Thunderbeam with rotating plate)
Red Marine Lantern, top of buoy with motorized bulb changing system
Red LED barricade flasher with Electraflash-style lens
Old Amber no name with suction cup and flashlight style bulb
I also have a clear domed, but empty Code 3 420 minibar shell that I installed driving lights inside. I deliver pizza part-time and use it to light up mailboxes to see addresses.
Elliott, A.K.A. KD8FOV, and Sirenzrok on Youtube

Undertaker

Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:46 pm

I have a couple of beacon rays but I have about 7 or 8 sirens starting from a Q and going down to the WL. I also have a B & M Siro~drift. The one without chrome. That's enough for me.

Robert Gift

Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:51 pm

Elliot, that must all be pretty if you have it all going at once.
I'd love to have something like that on a garage wall.

3t22
YouTube Username: federal3t22

Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:14 pm

I have a 6 volt 66L, but I'd love to get my hands on a 120VAC Red Beacon Ray, (there's one near where I use to live, that's been up for at least 28 years, paired with a Vibratone 350 with a PR projector attached, used as a fire alarm). I came so close to winning one on Ebay last year, but someone sniped me right at the last second :evil: (don't you just hate that). This may not count as an official light or Beacon, but I have one of those Radio Shack rotating party lights with a red lens (it also came with a blue lens, which I still have, but I prefer the red). I've had that for about 10 years.

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:06 am

3t22 wrote: I have one of those Radio Shack rotating party lights with a red lens

Hahaha....when I first joined the fire department, I just couldn't wait for the lights I ordered of of sirennet.com to arrive to put on my truck. My mom had given me one of those stupid lights as a joke at Christmas. Since I didn't have an inverter, I bought a 12v 100w halogen light and turn signal flasher. I proceeded to rip the guts out of the beacon light, and install the 12v light and flasher. The thing was about as crappy as it got. Of course, there wasn't any way to mount it to my truck, so I had to resort to zip tie'ing the light to the top of my luggage rack rails. Funny thing is as soon as i went over 45 mph, that POS light would flip completely over. Oh, and for grill lights, I bough a set of small driving/fog lights from walmart, hooked them to a SPDT turn signal flasher, and put red brake light tape over them. When those were on they were pink....literally! Haha, I think I had those light on for about a week, they were so ghetto. I responded to a couple of calls on those things, and surprisingly, people yielded and pulled over. Thanks for sparking my trip down memory lane! :wink:

AllSafe

Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:53 am

I used to have a 120V Tomar Microstrobe with a clear lens.
Ich spreche nicht Deutsch...doh!

Robert Gift

Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:05 am

JasonC wrote: ...I bough a set of small driving/fog lights from walmart, hooked them to a SPDT turn signal flasher, and put red brake light tape over them. When those were on they were pink....literally! ... I responded to a couple of calls on those things, and surprisingly, people yielded and pulled over.
Those brake light repair tapes have an interesting mysterious bluish tint in what is supposed to be brake light red.
They actually stand out quite well and allow passage of a lot of light.
Compared to regular 4001 R bulbs, they are much more noticeable!

Daniel

Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:56 pm

That brake light tape gives the same color, if applied thick enough, as the pinkish-red shade used by most European car manufacturers. If you're on a busy street and notice that one car's taillights are pinker than other cars, chances are that car is a Mercedes, BMW, Volvo, Audi, or something else from Europe. In fact, only newer Volkswagens use the US-spec orange-red. Except for a few Pontiacs, this pinkish "ruby red" color was never used by US automakers.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

Robert Gift

Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:53 am

Boy, Daniel, you're good!
I never notice those things.
All I ever notice is if the lights are LED - by their rapid pulses seen when I visually scan across them.
I do notice an erie purplish light which is from drilling and installing those nickel-sized blue lens in RED tail lights.
It is interesting how that little lens imparts a purplish cast to the WHOLE brake light fixture when seen from a distance.

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”