Mac

Sterling M5 restoration (Updated 1-23, new pics)

Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:54 pm

Took the stators off- No problem bolts, everything just came right out...Some by hand once lose! Between the stator mounts and the stator appears to be the original silver paint in MINT condition!... behind one of them, and stuck together by the silver paint, were several small pieces of old tin with letters on them...any idea why? Perhaps just paint cleanup, but they have been there for probably 90 years and look new.
The back of the stators appear to have red where they were bolted to the silver- Were they 2 tone (color I mean, the siren is 16\16), or which was original? Red or silver?
Stator Mount:
Stator:

Both pins pried up with the claws on a hammer and slid out by hand! No drilling!

One stator simply slid off with a tug- the other I heated slightly and tapped on the shaft gently with a hammer- it then slid off as well

Stator mounts come off with a little wiggling!

Bearing cap (only removed one so far, but as easy as the rest of it!)- a bit nasty, but not nearly as bad as I had expected.

Here is my motor issue:
What is this? It is infront of the bearing and looks absolutely chewed up on 4 spots spaced out around it. I need to get the sides off to take a look in the motor...Can't until I can get these off.
How? Do they need to be replaced, or are they supposed to look destroyed?
:? :?:
Last edited by Mac on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sterling M-5, Sterling Mechanical Siren Timer, Federal Electric Co. Type B, Federal C3 1/2, Secomak VS1, Federal Type A (Coded & Standard), AF Timer, various other sirens \ controls

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:14 pm

That is a lock ring, and it looks like someone has been in that motor before. Take a screwdriver and a hammer and gently tap one of the indentations to loosen it up and unscrew it.

Also, since it's on a spinning motor shaft, I wouldn't be surprised if it has reverse threads.

Mac

Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:46 pm

I cleaned off the shaft right up to it so I could just barely see the side of the thread to determine direction, then tried tapping... removed the other cap and tried that side too....These things are completely stuck. Are they easily replaced? If so, perhaps I could find easier means of removal.
Sterling M-5, Sterling Mechanical Siren Timer, Federal Electric Co. Type B, Federal C3 1/2, Secomak VS1, Federal Type A (Coded & Standard), AF Timer, various other sirens \ controls

Westgate Thunderbolt

Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:20 pm

That is a bearing retaining nut. It should have four equally spaced slots. To install or remove the nut PROPERLY it requires a special spanner wrench or socket. The wrench or socket fits into the slots in the side of the nut.

There are two variations of this nut. One has a nylon insert that requires no lock washer. The other requires a lock washer. The lock wash has several tabs equally spaced around it. When tightening the nut you line up one of the slots in the nut with one of the washer tabs. Once lined up you just bend the tab into the nut slot and that keeps the nut from backing off during operation. Check for this washer before you remove that nut. If it has one, find the bent tab in one of the four nut slots and just bend it back out.

The tools for those nuts are very hard to find and are very expensive. I've looked around. You can't just run to your local hardware store or SEARS and get them. That is one good reason it is probably in the condition it is in now. I have had good success using a couple sections of properly fitted square key stock and a pair of Channel Lock pliers. Put the two keys in opposite slots in the nut. Grab the keys with the pliers and turn. The keys will get marred up, but the nut won't. You can usually find short shaft keys at any hardware store.

Those nuts are still made if you wanted to replace it. They aren't too expensive either. You just need to know the size number. All of those nuts I've seen had the size number stamped on them somewhere. A major manufacture of those nuts is Whittet-Higgins.

holler
High Leg
High Leg

Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:27 am

Actually, I think I see one of the "ears" of the lockwasher behind it. Get a small flatblade that will fit in the groove flush and use a hammer to drive it all the way to the back of the nut. If there is a lock tab on it it will force it back out of the way. Do this for all 4 of the little indentations.

Mac

Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:49 am

There are 4-5 tabs on each, but they aren't lined up with anything... also they are close together. 3 on one side and 2 on the other side next to eachother... Doesn't really make sense.

holler
High Leg
High Leg

Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:57 am

Are the tabs in the grooves?[/list]

Westgate Thunderbolt

Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:13 am

Only one lock washer tab will line up with any of the four nut slots at any time. The other three slots will not have tabs that line up. The washers should have tabs around the whole circumference of the washer. Here is a page from the Whittet-Higgins web site with an image of a nut and washer: http://www.whittet-higgins.com/part.php?series_id=40.

If you find your nut and washer number, there are several on eBay under Whittet-Higgins. Most of them are the Bearhug nylon insert type though. There are also a few sockets, but even on eBay they are expensive.

landmobile

Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:19 pm

Mac: It seems like you and I had very similar projects yesterday, except that while your Sterling was coming apart mine was going back together.
Here's how it looked at the end of the day:

Sorry I can't help with your bearing questions, my motor has oil lubricated sleeve bearings.
I was wondering about the pieces of tin you mentioned. Does anyone think they might be shims to keep the stator aligned correctly?

Westgate: Thanks for sharing the bearing and retaining nut information.
Chris Bors
Land Mobile Corporation

Mac

Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:52 pm

Thank you all for the info. I'll give it a better look and try again shortly.

Landmobile- That is looking good! I notice yours has a vented motor...and you say oil sleeves. Do you know what year yours is, and does that make mine older or newer?

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”