dilloncarpenter

A couple NE Oklahoma sirens. A REALLY cool one in here.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:19 am

Hello all,

On Monday, my mom took me all the way up to Tulsa to a mental health facility for being extremely suicidal and depressed. Don't worry, I'm fine now. I got some cool pics for you guys on the way there and back though, and I think you'll REALLY like one of them.

Chandler, OK
P-15
Cropped way down so that's why it's so small

Stroud, OK
P-15
East one

West one (this is the really cool one. I'm guessing a Chrysler was on here at some point.)

Fresh-looking STH-10

Tulsa, OK
4004/Vortex (most likely 4004)

And I got a couple of Oklahoma City Whelen pics, but those aren't so interesting so I won't bother wasting you guys' time with them. Enjoy.
Kicking it in the siren party since '08

Siren_Dude

Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:20 am

Very good pictures! Yeah that one sure looks like a Chrysler tower. Is there anyway to find proof there was one there?
Your Canadian Siren Expert!
https://www.youtube.com/c/ColdWarCanada

FSThunderboltfan1000
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: FSThunderboltfan1000

Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:28 am

Glad you got the help you needed. I don't want to lose a siren member
to suicide.
Proud owner of rcm1, model 2,2T,Model A, Thunderbolt 1003, AF timer, FS SS1000, 500SHST
Wisconsin siren services
https://www.swssirens.com

Travis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: DL1011

Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:11 am

I really like that CD sign on the small building by the tower. I don't really know why Stroud thought they were a huge target...but it's awesome none-the-less!

williesan

Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:37 am

SirenkiD wrote:I really like that CD sign on the small building by the tower. I don't really know why Stroud thought they were a huge target...but it's awesome none-the-less!
Stroud a target? Only for tornadoes. But 17 miles north and west of Stroud is a pretty big target going back to Cold War days: Cushing.

Why? Pull up Google earth and look at all of the white dots in and around the Cushing area. Those are all oil storage tanks. You know the "Strategic Oil Reserve" that comes up whenever there is a major oil crisis (i.e Middle East flare-ups, post-Katrina gulf oil slowdowns)? That's it... well, at least that's part of it. I read a story on either CNN or the Tulsa World (before they made it a pay site...) that there's something like 10 million + barrels of oil in storage there, with the capacity for more. (And it could grow - especially if the Keystone Pipeline gets the blessing it needs from the government.)

I was doing some Cold War research not too long ago and came across some reports of the "kill zones" for some of the bombs the Soviets had developed were measured in terms of dozens of miles away from the point of impact. :shock: Chew on that for a bit, and you realize the CD signs are probably not too far fetched.

Granted - the practicality of those bombs were limited by the fact they needed a heavy bomber to carry the weapon to the target. Such an attack was impractical, and those weapons were replaced by smaller, more maneuverable - and yes, somewhat less "explosive" weapons that could be delivered by a missile in multiple quantities. But a nuclear attack on Cushing would have been (and still would be) a crippling blow to the nation.

Cool pix though. The only one I had ever seen going through Stroud was the STH-10 that's about 400 yds east of the midway fuel/rest area for the turnpike.

Cheers!

Williesan

Travis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: DL1011

Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:46 am

williesan wrote:
SirenkiD wrote:I really like that CD sign on the small building by the tower. I don't really know why Stroud thought they were a huge target...but it's awesome none-the-less!
Stroud a target? Only for tornadoes. But 17 miles north and west of Stroud is a pretty big target going back to Cold War days: Cushing.

Why? Pull up Google earth and look at all of the white dots in and around the Cushing area. Those are all oil storage tanks. You know the "Strategic Oil Reserve" that comes up whenever there is a major oil crisis (i.e Middle East flare-ups, post-Katrina gulf oil slowdowns)? That's it... well, at least that's part of it. I read a story on either CNN or the Tulsa World (before they made it a pay site...) that there's something like 10 million + barrels of oil in storage there, with the capacity for more. (And it could grow - especially if the Keystone Pipeline gets the blessing it needs from the government.)

I was doing some Cold War research not too long ago and came across some reports of the "kill zones" for some of the bombs the Soviets had developed were measured in terms of dozens of miles away from the point of impact. :shock: Chew on that for a bit, and you realize the CD signs are probably not too far fetched.

Granted - the practicality of those bombs were limited by the fact they needed a heavy bomber to carry the weapon to the target. Such an attack was impractical, and those weapons were replaced by smaller, more maneuverable - and yes, somewhat less "explosive" weapons that could be delivered by a missile in multiple quantities. But a nuclear attack on Cushing would have been (and still would be) a crippling blow to the nation.

Cool pix though. The only one I had ever seen going through Stroud was the STH-10 that's about 400 yds east of the midway fuel/rest area for the turnpike.

Cheers!

Williesan
That's an interesting bit of information! Honestly though, almost every town had its reason for being "A Target." If you look hard enough, you can pretty much find something worth blowing up in almost every area of the country.

Also, if that was indeed a Chrysler, and was part of a larger network of sirens in that area, logic would suggest that there were more than one of these units.

Perhaps more research will yield further information. Looks like that could have been a radar or "listening" site of some kind as well.

TBOLT1000

Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:46 pm

That`s a cool picture of the one on the Chrysler like tower, there probably was one there at one time. It looks like a Civil Defense outpost or something next to that P-15.
Proud owner of a Thunderbolt 1000A, Model LV, and a Model J.

Notre.Dame1003

Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:53 pm

Love the P-15 on the tower! Also the picture of the 4004 looks kind of creepy.
"When it comes to great steaks, I've just raised the stakes."

-Noie, Director of sarcasm-

Federal Signal RX, Model A, Model D

Youtube
Facebook

dilloncarpenter

Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:46 pm

williesan wrote:

Cheers!

Williesan
THAT'S why Cushing has so many sirens!! Thanks for the info!
Kicking it in the siren party since '08

CDV777-1
YouTube Username: vanamonde2

Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:50 pm

Dillon
Where is that tower siren in Stroud? I've been trying to find it on the aerial map view.
Eric

Another thing.
Someone comments in the thread that "Stroud thought it was a huge target" because there is a tower that looks like it had a Chrysler on it and a little shack with a CD sign next to it and several start discussing on here like it's fact.
Just thinking "out loud" here.... :roll:
Did anyone in Stroud actually ever really consider the town a "huge target?" How large of a town would Stroud have been when Chryslers were in use? Maybe a few hundred people? Could that town even have purchsed a siren like that back in the early 50s? I noticed Dillon tagged the pic as "west one" Wouldn't they have put a Chrysler smack dab in the center of town if they did have one? I think it's most likely some kind of antenna tower.
Proud owner of a garage full of junk.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”