ACA HODAG

Local news story about sirens

Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:27 pm

When watching the local news this morning i saw this story. my city has 4 T-128's. the newest one (newer logo) is less than 500 ft from my house. the oldest one (no logo) may be from 1998-2001

http://www.wjfw.com/stories.html?sku=20120417174708
Proud owner of a downed ACA Alertronic RE-1600
Hunting for the ledgendary ACA allertronic 5000

ACA HODAG

Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:38 pm

after reading the story and watching the video (if you can, having trouble viewing it at school) i see how misinfomed people really are. first off, they say "who sets off the "STORM SIREN" i see 2 things wrong with that. #1, they are outdoor warning sirens, not "storm sirens" and #2 they say "siren" as in singular, when in the video they show at least 3 different ones

uncommonsense

Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:59 pm

ACA HODAG wrote:after reading the story and watching the video (if you can, having trouble viewing it at school) i see how misinfomed people really are. first off, they say "who sets off the "STORM SIREN" i see 2 things wrong with that. #1, they are outdoor warning sirens, not "storm sirens" and #2 they say "siren" as in singular, when in the video they show at least 3 different ones
Is this really the worst of your concerns? Storm sirens are a colloquial nickname for the units. Always has been. How is it any different than saying tornado siren? People call them whistles, horns, etc. Still means the same thing. Its just another nickname.

And big deal--they made a grammer error. Are Mr. and Mrs. John Q Public going to really care about an S or not? They care they can hear them and they work. They aren't going to care that there's xx number of sirens in the system. Its irrelevant. You could also make an argument there is no error and they're going for the collective singular here.

AQHort

Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:56 pm

Great article. It's good to see towns who put in time and effort to make their siren systems as efficient as they can be. I'm trying to encourage my city to do that.

ACA HODAG

Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:16 pm

another article popped up a day later
http://www.wjfw.com/stories.html?sku=20120418182536

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”