Daniel

Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:53 pm

I've always wanted to get one of those vented brake discs off a large vehicle, the kind with vanes between the two disc surfaces, and plug off half of each slot to make a rotor, then machine a corresponding stator. It would take a large motor and would have a very slow rise and fall. Another similar shape is the fan from a Volkswagen Beetle (the real Bug, not the new one). These fans have a venturi shape and move a lot of air, but are much lighter than a brake rotor.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

loudmouth

Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:21 pm

i have a flywheel i just need the metal. and a welding machine..... my friend who dose welding for commercail pipes said he would do it if i had a welder since his work is picky on why a welder is used.
and yes taking a flywheel off a small engine is a tricky feet due to the fack that its on top of the engine it gets wet and some times rusts badly. which there a couple ways of pulling the flywheel off eather with a pully puller , hammer and punch or with a littel help from the Oxy torch not to cut but to make the metal expand. i have a feeling might have to do this to fit some parts.
ill keep you guys updated with pictures

Wait i might not my dad just droped my Camera... :x

SoundOff
YouTube Username: yuandrew

Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:00 am

Well, I had my bathroom fan apart for cleaning and I broke the blower wheel by accident trying to pull it off the motor shaft :x :roll: but if you have a Lowes hardware store anywhere nearby; they sell a replacement blower wheel with a motor for about $12. You'll be looking for a replacement for the Broan Model 688.

You can probably make the chopper blades using slats from a mini-blind. check the bottom of some of the blinds in your windows to see if there are extra slats that you can carefully cut out. You'll also need some strong glue; I wonder if model glue from a hobby store will work or something like E-600 or JB weld may also be used. The hard part will be the stator but I think one could be made using a plastic container.

10(3000)/60=500
The blower wheel has 10 vanes so it would make a 10 port siren if you put a chopper blade on every vane. Most of those C-frame type shaded pole motors spin around 3000 RPM so it would create a 500hz tone. I do not have any idea of how loud it will be though; maybe around 80-90 decibles but I would probably do a growl test outside first.

SirenMadness

Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:10 pm

If you guys remember the home-made siren that I've built over two years ago, you'll probably remember that its chopper was made from cardboard pieces stuck onto a grinding wheel. I have to find the pictures that I took of the siren that I've built a while back. I think that tin sheets used on a rotating surface would work pretty good.
~ Peter Radanovic

Daniel

Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:08 pm

If I had a shop, I'd be making my own version of an HLS siren. I'd get a thick piece of brass pipe about 3"-4" diameter, cap it, drill a row of five and six slots, find a suitable motor, and balance it. Then, create a matching stator and find a good air supply. Anything I build I want to last, so glued plastic is not an option.

Another idea is to find two vehicle sirens with large rotors, preferably with different numbers of ports, and attach them to a bench grinder motor.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

Jim_Ferer

Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:31 pm

soundoff wrote:You just reminded me of the bathroom vent fans in my house. I was changing a bulb in my bathroom since the fan also has the light and I noticed the actual fan was similar to a siren rotor. If one can get a replacment motor/impeller assembly, it can probably be modified with pieces of plastic glued on and a stator created.
Just leave the fan up there a few years, and it'll start sounding like a siren all by itself.

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”