Thunderboltlover
YouTube Username: thunderboltlover

Wichita, KS Siren Upgrade

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:54 am

Hi all,

I'm curious as to how many sirens are being replaced and how many are simply receiving a control upgrade in Wichita (and all of Sedgwick county for that matter).

I was originally under the impression that only the controls would be replaced, but apparently that isn't the case. Are the only sirens being replaced sirens that are not working or are in very bad shape, or are only the very best of the older ones staying and all others being replaced?

Thanks!!

Thunderboltlover
Proud owner of a Thunderbolt 1003

Unit of Civil Defense

Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:56 am

I was in Wichita today..the fire station just west of I-135 on 53rd. st. North to be exact....I noticed several T-22's? (I am not as good as the rest of you at i.d'ing sirens) :oops: setting directly West of the station as if it was some sort of staging area. I was busy with work and did not have enough time to inquire about the sirens.

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:05 am

You mean T-128s? They look like a big piece of okra sliced in half on the front and have ASC stickers on the side.

Unit of Civil Defense

Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:56 pm

Here is what I saw...two round rows of small horns, one on top of another.... 11 horns? per row...Federal Safety Yellow in color. I compared what I saw with pictures that have been posted here and the T-22's most resemble what I saw. ...again I claim to be no expert, you guys are :)

uncommonsense

Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:02 pm

Unit of Civil Defense wrote:Here is what I saw...two round rows of small horns, one on top of another.... 11 horns? per row...Federal Safety Yellow in color. I compared what I saw with pictures that have been posted here and the T-22's most resemble what I saw. ...again I claim to be no expert, you guys are :)
Ah ha! You saw 2T22s. And most likely they have been removed. Sedgwick County is upgrading with ATIs. Hope that helps!

Unit of Civil Defense

Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:02 am

uncommonsense wrote:Ah ha! You saw 2T22s. And most likely they have been removed. Sedgwick County is upgrading with ATIs. Hope that helps!
Yes, these sirens that I saw had been removed from their original locations...most appeared to still be attached to wooden poles...some with possible control boxes? Might be worth looking into unless they are for trade in allowance.....Between work and life ,I personally don't have the time to investigate or I would. :(

Unit of Civil Defense

Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:15 am

...Went by the fire station again today...I don't know if they have added more sirens to the pile or I missed it the first time , but today I noticed 4 to 6 Thunderbolts in the heap as well.
Last edited by Unit of Civil Defense on Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaleidowolf135

Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:17 am

I thought ATI went out of business.
Why are they even bother still making lawsuit-worthy crappy systems? (I edited out the excessive part)

When will they learn that the censor beep does not penetrate as well as things like FS and Whelen tones do?
ATI is the disaster that most siren kiddies make on youtube now - Useless piles of garbage.
/rant (sorry for so many of these)
Last edited by Kaleidowolf135 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Home of a Model RX, a curious piece of history!
My website has restoration progress under the siren page.

Busgeek71

Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:36 am

Kaleidowolf135 wrote:I thought ATI went out of business.
Nope. We got new ATIs to be installed soon in many parts of OK. I don't see how they aren't out of business, though.

Kaleidowolf135

Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:38 am

Busgeek71 wrote:
Nope. We got new ATIs to be installed soon in many parts of OK. I don't see how they aren't out of business, though.
I figured with how much they've been sued that they'd fallen a long time ago.
Home of a Model RX, a curious piece of history!
My website has restoration progress under the siren page.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”