FSThunderboltfan1000
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: FSThunderboltfan1000

Siren Manuals

Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:52 pm

The City of Sheboygan electrician droped off "Some old literature" So here are the pictures.

Siren Manuals by FSThunderboltfan1000T, on Flickr

Service Parts Index by FSThunderboltfan1000T, on Flickr

2001 Manual by FSThunderboltfan1000T, on Flickr

Siren Manual by FSThunderboltfan1000T, on Flickr

Thunderbolt Manual by FSThunderboltfan1000T, on Flickr

Canadian Model 2 by FSThunderboltfan1000T, on Flickr

Canadian Model 2! by FSThunderboltfan1000T, on Flickr
Proud owner of rcm1, model 2,2T,Model A, Thunderbolt 1003, AF timer, FS SS1000, 500SHST
Wisconsin siren services
https://www.swssirens.com

murrfarms
YouTube Username: murrfarms

Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:19 pm

Wow, talk about opening up a time capsule for a couple of those manuals! Been a while since I've seen an original color copy of the old Thunderbolt manual, as well as the one for the 2/5/SD-10/STH-10/STL-10. What does it cover in the "Service Parts Index" manual? Don't think I've seen that one before, at least not with that cover. That was very nice of them to drop those by to you!
-Ian M.

FSThunderboltfan1000
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:32 pm

The City of Sheboygan got the Model 2 down by the lake got repaired at the Sheboygan moter shop back in 08' and the bill was $1723.00!
Proud owner of rcm1, model 2,2T,Model A, Thunderbolt 1003, AF timer, FS SS1000, 500SHST
Wisconsin siren services

FSThunderboltfan1000
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:35 am

mr_thunderbolt1003 wrote:Wow, talk about opening up a time capsule for a couple of those manuals! Been a while since I've seen an original color copy of the old Thunderbolt manual, as well as the one for the 2/5/SD-10/STH-10/STL-10. What does it cover in the "Service Parts Index" manual? Don't think I've seen that one before, at least not with that cover. That was very nice of them to drop those by to you!

Let's say you need a new brush it will tell you the part number. The devices it is for are light bars, Industrial sirens, Civil defence sirens, horns, lights, fire alarms, fire truck sirens, ar af PGA timers, and rcm panels.
Wisconsin siren services

Allertor113
YouTube Username: RLDproductions

Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:31 am

Wow I always thought the Canadian model 2 was just the ARS name for it, I didn't realize Federal actually called it that. "You can either buy the Model 2 orrrrrrrr the Canadian version!"
Siren/Field Technician
Moore, Oklahoma

500AT

Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:14 pm

Allertor113 wrote:Wow I always thought the Canadian model 2 was just the ARS name for it, I didn't realize Federal actually called it that. "You can either buy the Model 2 orrrrrrrr the Canadian version!"
At one time Federal Signal made two different versions of the Model 2. Their was a regular or standard version of this siren, and the extreme cold weather "Canadian" model. To save on production costs, Federal Signal, in the 1970s eliminated the standard edition; thus, making the Canadian version the status quo.

in this photograph, you can see both production units side-by-side. On the left is the standard Model 2, and on the right is the Canadian version. As you can see the housing is clearly different on both models.

The Canadian Model 2 design, made it less likely to freeze up in the winter months. This siren also used anti-icing technology, which prevented the ice from forming on the moving parts. When the temperature fell below a certain point, the rotor would turn slowly, and a heater would come on to keep key components warm. This same technique can be found on many older Federal Signal sirens in northern climates.

Sincerely yours,

Ron W.

"When your siren's a failin', chances are it's a Whelen."

CDV777-1
YouTube Username: vanamonde2

Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:58 pm

To save on production costs, Federal Signal, in the 1970s eliminated the standard edition; thus, making the Canadian version the status quo.
The parts diagram shows the "Canadian Version" as an upside down motor model 2. I always wondered why turning the motor upside down would reduce icing. Are you saying all model 2s were changed to this upside down version after the 1970s?
Proud owner of a garage full of junk.

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:55 pm

I've owned several 80's model 2's and they were all the standard version.

500AT

Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:40 am

CDV777-1 wrote:
To save on production costs, Federal Signal, in the 1970s eliminated the standard edition; thus, making the Canadian version the status quo.
The parts diagram shows the "Canadian Version" as an upside down motor model 2. I always wondered why turning the motor upside down would reduce icing. Are you saying all model 2s were changed to this upside down version after the 1970s?
What I meant to say, "Federal Signal, in the 1970s eliminated the standard edition housing; thus, making the Canadian version the status quo."

Sincerely yours,

Ron W.

"When your siren's a failin', chances are it's a Whelen."

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”