Siren Man

What horn is this?

Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:16 pm

What horn could i easily get that would closely resemble this sound:

http://www.audiolicense.net/sfx/sfx_lis ... at_id=7042

Daniel

Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:25 pm

This is a sound that is enhanced by acoustics, and may also be an electronic sound (recorded from real horns) used on submarines and ships. Any 120 volt electromagnetic horn operating on 60 Hz. will sound like this, especially if it has a projector horn. The closest ones to this sound I can think of are horns by Simplex and Benjamin that have projectors. Vibratone-style square horns tend to be more raspy. Get any horn of this type and sound it in an unused gymnasium, and it will sound like this.

By the way, who in their right mind is going to shell out 4 quid (about $9) for a 25 second alarm sound? For not much more, you can buy the real thing on Ebay! Here's one that's considerably overpriced (there are three resonator horns for sale at half this price) but gives you an idea: http://cgi.ebay.com/HORN-SPERTI-FARADAY ... 0084864439
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

Siren Man

Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:27 am

any more suggestions? im not really knowledgeable in that department. What about an old FS 350 with a projector on it?

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:21 am

Federal Signal Vibratone 350, sounded in a warehouse, may or may not have a horn attached.

3t22
YouTube Username: federal3t22

Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:01 pm

Daniel wrote:This is a sound that is enhanced by acoustics, and may also be an electronic sound (recorded from real horns) used on submarines and ships. Any 120 volt electromagnetic horn operating on 60 Hz. will sound like this, especially if it has a projector horn. The closest ones to this sound I can think of are horns by Simplex and Benjamin that have projectors. Vibratone-style square horns tend to be more raspy. Get any horn of this type and sound it in an unused gymnasium, and it will sound like this.

By the way, who in their right mind is going to shell out 4 quid (about $9) for a 25 second alarm sound? For not much more, you can buy the real thing on Ebay! Here's one that's considerably overpriced (there are three resonator horns for sale at half this price) but gives you an idea: http://cgi.ebay.com/HORN-SPERTI-FARADAY ... 0084864439
I have the 120AC verson of this horn, the Type 2, it has a more bellowing sound than that recording. I paid about $20.00 for it, counting shipping. but those old Vibratory horns, especially the Vibratone 350 (aka Simplex 4040), are very easy, and cheap to find on Ebay.

AllSafe

Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:14 pm

The item is in Wichita. Too bad I couldn't go and get it myself because of my injury.
Ich spreche nicht Deutsch...doh!

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”