Greg

Milwaukee Model 2 audio from late 80's

Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:46 pm

Here is the audio recording of a city of Milwaukee model 2 from the late 80s or early 90's. I remember when I recorded this that the P 50s were starting to be installed around the city but were not being used yet.

http://snd.sc/Yxt9T7

OhioSirenHunter
YouTube Username: SRP
Discord: srp

Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:26 pm

Nice Video, It's interesting that Milwaukee used to test in Fast Wail.

Mark N
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:18 pm

Do I hear their Hurricane?

Archon

Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:19 pm

I don't heard a hurricane and Fast Wail was not the normal Test I rember The 2's They were tested the 2nd Wednesday at noon in Alert

OhioSirenHunter
YouTube Username: SRP
Discord: srp

Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:00 pm

Then It was probably a malfunction? Or it was self-activated?

Greg

Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:50 pm

This was a normal once a month test and not a self activated malfunction. I am not sure how the model 2's were activated to the different modes. I know it was a phone signal to activate the siren but what made it go thru its different signals. Is that thru each sirens controls?
As far as hearing a hurricane I don't know what other surrounding cities had during this time period. There was another model 2 about 4 blocks away from the one I recorded. Remember this was taped over 20 years ago before the county took over. Milwaukee was testing once a month when this was recorded but they had tested every other Wednesday before switching to once a month.

murrfarms
YouTube Username: murrfarms

Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:11 am

Almost sounds like it was controlled by a coding device or something, definitely appears to be some sort of a three-blast code for the first part. Would somewhat make sense, since they were operated by a standard leased-line telephone relay.
2T22Bman wrote:Do I hear their Hurricane?
No, that was a 2T you heard in the background. I know they had some in the system with the single tone 2s, since Scott (FedFan) obtained one of them from the city.
-Ian M.

Civil D Siren
YouTube Username: jjjjentges

Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:48 am

Very Cool. I assume you don't know which one this was. Very few are left in the city. I have seen a few of the Milwaukee ones in person, ant they are in pretty bad shape.
Long Live ACA/ASC! Made in Wisconsin!

My Siren Recordings: http://www.youtube.com/user/jjjjentges?feature=mhee

Archon

Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:01 am

[quote="mr_thunderbolt1003"]Almost sounds like it was controlled by a coding device or something, definitely appears to be some sort of a three-blast code for the first part. Would somewhat make sense, since they were operated by a standard leased-line telephone relay.

The controller a Western Electric Bell System dial up system was at the Police headquarters in Downtown Milwaukee At the time probley same room were the Police calls came in And it was a cord board too. and were they dispatched the calls from (Pre 911 days) known as POlice5-2323 FD was FIre7-2323. When activated the Siren controller sent 96 volts DC on all the telephone lines to the Model 2 controller via the telephone relay to turn them on.

Archon

Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:04 am

Civil D Siren wrote:Very Cool. I assume you don't know which one this was. Very few are left in the city. I have seen a few of the Milwaukee ones in person, ant they are in pretty bad shape.
I got the Model 2 from Waterford And S 6th street. IT was sized up and full of mouse crap Took it all apart and repainted it rebuilt the motor it runs now and is quite loud. The siren went up in 1957 it is single tone.

Return to “Videos and Media”