SirenMadness

Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:13 pm

The government probably wanted it painted that way.
~ Peter Radanovic

Robert Gift

Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:55 am

Daniel wrote: San Francisco's sirens have enough bugs in the system, but they are quite expert at dealing with buggery so they should be working in no time.
Lol
Daniel wrote:Robert -- what's the deal with flowers?
Doesn't a 500T already have a flower shape?
I would merely paint it so.

Daniel

Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:11 am

If the 500T looks like anything other than a siren, I'd probably go with a shallow funnel, or possibly one of those little shrubbery sprinkler heads. (you must bring us . . . ANOTHER SHRUBBERY!!!)

Nelso90

Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:36 am

Excellent usage of Monty Python Quotes!
I love that movie! :mrgreen:

Robert Gift

Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:05 am

Daniel wrote:(you must bring us . . . ANOTHER SHRUBBERY!!!)
Wuh?
You can call me Boblivious.

Justin

Re: Photo of The Feminized Federal in North Hollywood, CA

Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:46 am

kx250rider wrote:Image
...Here's a photo that I took today of the hot pink Federal 500 AT (?) in the parking lot of the 99-cent store in North Hollywood, CA...
...The paint on the siren is exactly the same as the paint on the 99-cent building...
...so I am guessing they did it as an attention grabber...

Disconnection and abandoning aside, they broke the law. It's vandalism. And they ruined a perfectly good 500AT! Id p!$$ myself laughing and breathe a sigh of relief if they ever got done for it and had to 'repair' the damage. :D It would draw attention to the fact that having a siren system is a worth-while cause.

But I always like to observe a positive aspect in any situation... At least this hot pink paint might preserve the metal for awhile. As you can see, this siren is disconnected and abandoned along with all of the Los Angeles County sirens :cry:
One might consider that it would act as a reminder that outdoor warning is an indespensable way of alerting the public.

It sure grabs my attention, and my desire to climb the pole armed with a can of paint remover :twisted:

Charles
I know I would. A nice CD Yellow, a few replacement parts and power source to show that store my 99c! :twisted: :roll:

Elliott

Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:37 pm

Now all they need is a lavender colored Federal Modulator with the following voice message: "Attention....Attention...GAYDAR has detected a fashion emergency on Rodeo Drive....This is a Code Pink Alert....please contact your hairdresser for details."
Elliott, A.K.A. KD8FOV, and Sirenzrok on Youtube

cdvtripleseven

Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:29 pm

Disconnection and abandoning aside, they broke the law. It's vandalism. And they ruined a perfectly good 500AT! Id p!$$ myself laughing and breathe a sigh of relief if they ever got done for it and had to 'repair' the damage. It would draw attention to the fact that having a siren system is a worth-while cause.
Broke what law? Is there some law on the books against painting an abandonded siren?

Vandalism? I think letting the thing sit there and rust to pieces is more like vandalism than putting some paint on the thing no matter what color.
Is that pinkish color really that much wackier than CD yellow?

If the thing is in the parking lot of the store they could have had it taken down and junked instead of painting it. At least the old pig is still standing.
Now if they really wanted some publicity they could get the thing working and have their own version of K-marts "blue light special." They could have their own "pink siren special." "Come in for the great deals whenever you hear the siren sound."
Dad, what does that CD mean on that big yellow horn? Well son, I believe it stands for Cyclone Device......

Daniel

Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:00 am

Elliott wrote:Now all they need is a lavender colored Federal Modulator with the following voice message: "Attention....Attention...GAYDAR has detected a fashion emergency on Rodeo Drive....This is a Code Pink Alert....please contact your hairdresser for details."
"Hair raid! This is a Bad Hair Day alert! Duck and cover!"

Poor duck.

Justin

Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:02 am

I was probably wrong to say 'broke the law', but damaging, defacing or modifying council/government property over here is regarded as vandalism and you can get slapped with a pretty hefty fine. Im not sure what the CA laws are on this, but this aint a political forum; so Ill leave it be.

Ill agree with you that at least they didn't take the ol girl down completely, but that would have made for some nice bidding if they got permission and sold it, preferably to one of us.

I wonder if the County would allow people to purchase the sirens and take them down...

I wouldn't mind a 500AT, then again; my preference is for a Thunderbolt, but so is everyone elses.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”