Robert Gift

Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:13 pm

A pink pole is in the background.
Did the store paint the siren to match their other pink poles?

Justin, would you really want to obtain a Thunderbolt?
What would your costs be to ship one to Australia?

Montgomery, Alabama may be selling sirens, including Thunderbolts (I think).

I'd rather have a 500AT and not deal with a 1000 lb Roots blower.

Robert the -LXXI

SirenMadness

Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:19 pm

The 500- series were made to be an efficient alternative to the Thunderbolt series

I don't like the color, either. Put a dark purple-gray color instead! :twisted: I wonder as to whether the government has allowed that; I'm not doubtful.
~ Peter Radanovic

Robert Gift

Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:23 pm

Knowing L.A. as I do, (lived there while caring for a patient) I doubt anyone from L.A. County cares - there are so many more important problems.

Maintenence probably didn't mind that someone spent their own money and effort to protect the siren with another coat of paint.

They should allow collectors to take down the sirens.
But there would be liability concerns unless County can be released
from any and all liability for any problems/accidents.
But such releases may be challenged, so that may ruin collectors
removing them.
And L.A. does not have money to have their own people remove them.

They'd need a private insured contractor they can hire to harvest sirens.

Justin

Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:52 am

robert gift wrote:Justin, would you really want to obtain a Thunderbolt?
I do, but if say a Thunderbolt we're given to me for free; and the whole kit is... 300kg? I'd be looking at a shipping cost well over AUD$1000, not something a small country town high school student can afford. Then there is Customs duty.

It would be more practical for me to have it stored over there, I'd have to get someone to do that, then pay for a long-term rental garage.

Ill just wait till I move over there. Im hoping there are some disused larger-scale sirens around the DC, Marylands or Virginia areas. My Dad will be working in DC hopefully soon, if all goes to plan.

I wonder if there's some sort of system that if your already trained as a police officer here, you can transfer over there with minimal fuss.
But that's for another board.
from any and all liability for any problems/accidents.
But such releases may be challenged, so that may ruin collectors
removing them.
Just have them professionally removed at the collectors expense. This shouldn't be too much for a rare item never to be made again.

Robert Gift

Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:17 am

I'd be afraid professionals would charge too much, especially if they knew you consider it a collector's item and want it done carefully.

Would be nice if you can find someone back east who can find a siren and store it for you.

Good luck,

kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: kx250racer

Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:07 am

Justin Savidge wrote:
robert gift wrote:Justin, would you really want to obtain a Thunderbolt?
I do, but if say a Thunderbolt we're given to me for free; and the whole kit is... 300kg? I'd be looking at a shipping cost well over AUD$1000, not something a small country town high school student can afford. Then there is Customs duty.

It would be more practical for me to have it stored over there, I'd have to get someone to do that, then pay for a long-term rental garage.

Ill just wait till I move over there. Im hoping there are some disused larger-scale sirens around the DC, Marylands or Virginia areas. My Dad will be working in DC hopefully soon, if all goes to plan.

I wonder if there's some sort of system that if your already trained as a police officer here, you can transfer over there with minimal fuss.
But that's for another board.
True that it would be costly to ship to Australia, but not TOO costly. I bought a Toyota Hilux Diesel 4x4 engine & gearbox in Australia, and had it shipped here in a huge crate for $400. Much heavier than a T-bolt. $400 wasn't too bad, but I realize that it's likely too much for a student. I was one not TOOOOOO long ago, and I know how it was. (And it isn't too much better now for being able to afford stuff :? )... If you want one, I can say that you WILL get one sooner or later.

Charles
Yes, that's a real 500-lb Federal SD-10 I'm holding (braggart!)

Justin

Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:26 am

kx250rider wrote:True that it would be costly to ship to Australia, but not TOO costly. I bought a Toyota Hilux Diesel 4x4 engine & gearbox in Australia, and had it shipped here in a huge crate for $400. Much heavier than a T-bolt. $400 wasn't too bad, but I realize that it's likely too much for a student. I was one not TOOOOOO long ago, and I know how it was. (And it isn't too much better now for being able to afford stuff :? )... If you want one, I can say that you WILL get one sooner or later.

Charles
Really? Damn!
But you are right on one thing, I will be getting myself a Thunderbolt sooner or later.
But yeah, $400 is a little expensive; and Mum wouldn't want a 300kg noise maker sitting in the garage doing nothing, and the neighbours don't want to be rudely awoken at 3:00 in the morning. :twisted:

Oh, how much fun I could have on New Years Eve! Attack for three minuites anyone? :D

Daniel

Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:31 am

I did buy some VDO automotive gauges for my VW Bora from an Australian supplier once (VDO doesn't sell metric-face gauges in this country), and the shipping wasn't cheap. One of these days I'd like to get something from Grifco, something like a bench grinder but a little louder, but I don't want to think about shipping it here.

I remember the fuss certain local officials made when you wanted to restore that Wailing Joe siren, so I can imagine what they will think when they see that big yellow horn in your garage! If the wind is right, they might be able to hear it in Grong Grong!
Last edited by Daniel on Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Justin

Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:36 am

Plausable deniability.

"I swear it's a mulcher, officer!"

Daniel

Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:39 am

I suppose one could angle the horn upwards and feed branches into it.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”