gil64

I finally got some info on the new sirens in my city

Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:37 pm

A while back I posted a pic of one of the six new Federal Signal 2001-130's in my city. Well reading this morning paper , they claim there are seven of them , not counting the Federal model 5 and the 2 STH-10's. The new siren system cost $132,000 , they will have three different tones . The first wailing sound will be for tornados in the area . The sound will peak and drop off several times for three minutes . The second sound is a fast wailing sound that will peak and come off quicker and will last for three minutes . It will be used for Haz-Mat situations . The third wailing sound will be a steady wail for three minutes also , and it will be the all clear signal. My city will test the sirens the first Wednesday of each month and will conduct an internal test from the fire station every Saturday at 6 p.m. The fire department in my city will be in charge of the sirens . There are three phases to this new system according to the Fire Chief . Phase 1 is the siren system , Phase 2 is the reverse 911 phone system which will alert residents of dangerous situations , Phase 3 will be having a weather radio . I think this is a good plan since the area I live in is in the gulf coast area where we do get severe weather such as hurricanes and tornados . As soon as I get the chance (on a Wednesday of the first month) and I am off from work , I will be ready with my video camera to get a video of one of the new sirens being tested. They have already used them this past week on account of some severe weather we had , but I was working and did not have the chance to see and hear them.

C. Bryant

Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:01 pm

How wonderful to read your post after mine , Reverse 911 .
But you are Progressive Texas Not corrupted local governments.
Los Angeles county , California. Enjoy you New Federal Warning
System + a fiew old ones. :)

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”