OhioSirenHunter
YouTube Username: SRP

Whelen-ish EOWS 612 - Barberton, OH

Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:48 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1a1H2BSIrg

Today, my friend Mike went off to record a 612 in Barberton, OH. I was suprised to see that it sounds like a Whelen WPS-3016. Probably has a Whelen soundcard, but the controls ARE SiraTone, so I'm a bit confused. Does anyone know anything about this? Anyway, 612 starts @ 0:48. Enjoy the video and subscribe to him.

Mysterious T-Bolt 111

Re: Whelen-ish EOWS 612 - Barberton, OH

Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:30 am

That would have to be the Austin Dr. @ 5th St. unit. (At least is looks like it.) I highly doubt there is/would be a Whelen sound card in there. I've heard a few single tone SiraTones in the past on YouTube before so it wouldn't be surprising. (Though it is electronic, I guess anything is possible.)

I do wonder how one can switch from dual tone to single on those SiraTone controls, being that the original manual seems to only list dual tone frequency signals.

jkvernon

Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:36 am

The SiraTone series was available with single and dual tone signals according to their old spec sheets and manuals which would be the case here. You can't just swap sound cards or tone generators between controllers; you'd have to swap the entire controller to change the sound to the Whelen tone set.
Neck Ties...Contracts...High Voltage!

DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:42 am

None of the Whelen controllers will work with that array. As far as I know, Whelen has never made controllers that could run these siren, as it seems that they only support their own sirens.

This video shows the dual tone EOWS controller with the Whelen arrays connected to the low tone, so I wonder if they could be hard wired to run all of the amps on the same tone.
Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

Return to “Videos and Media”