nevnick

Penetrating the Penetrators

Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:50 pm

As you've probably already seen in my first post, I talked about the sirens in Billings. They are all ACA Penetrator-series sirens. I talked with some city people recently and they said all the P20/RM130 sirens in town were mostly installed in the late 1980s to early 1990s. We had Thunderbolts before.

Basically, the Penetrator was the successor to the Allertor, if I remember correctly.

I know a little bit about the Penetrators now because of this chat that I had. I don't think that they are still making them, per the ASC site.

So as a result of all this research I've been doing, I've got a few questions. Sorry to bore you with all of them... :roll:

--When did they quit making 'em and why?

--What siren type succeeded it?

--When did they first come out?

--What other cities have them?
The temperature of a room does not matter for it is always room temperature.

FedTB

Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:35 am

I'm guessing that the T-128 was the successor to this model. Nothing wrong with that! T-128's are great sirens, too. :D

Hacksaw

Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:51 am

If those have battery backups, then they are RM-130's. That was between the P-10/15/20 series & the T-128.

The Allertors were made from WWII to about 1990. They were a seperate line up, and lacked battery backup.

I don't know when the Penetrator series started. I believe they had both single & dual tone models. They also went on to around 1991. Other here will know better.

The actual P series & Allertor can be found all over. There are some P series in the area of the old Rancho Secco Nuclear plant, nearest to me.

Take a look at the Siren Archive:
http://www.jmarcoz.com/sirens/sirenarchive.htm

I don't include the P-50 with these since that became the T-135 later on, lasting until very recently.

Archon

Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:20 am

ASC made the penetrator untill 2000 than the design was sold to werden siren he still makes them to this day. The change over for shrouds started in the 70's I have a 1976 Howler with the newer shoud.

Wausau WI Has a 2000 ASC Penetrator. Manatowoc WI has a 1997 one
I have a ACA 1987 one

AllSafe

Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:36 am

Aren't Werden's sirens all made to order? I'd imagine he doesn't have nearly a big enough factory to make them at the scale that Sentry, ACA or Federal does.
Ich spreche nicht Deutsch...doh!

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”