StonedChipmunk

Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:37 pm

Ah, so that's what the bottom disk is for... always wondered.
Anyways, I'm not taking to the i-Force series immediately... Modulators look better. i-Forces just don't look like sirens to me. Maybe cell phone towers?
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence indicating that you tried.

Klauskinski

Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:09 pm

Hi!

I think Robert is right. Here you can see a picture of the well-known Federal Signal which looks similar to he I-Force:

loudmouth

Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:40 pm

not to be to pickky but just so i have this in my head right. I would guess the sound waves would basicly bounce off the bottom cone and top cone as they exit the siren. hence the resion why mods and i would guess i force have a dumby cone on the bottom.

Still think nothing will beat the saw wave of a elecomecanlical siren.

StonedChipmunk

Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:53 pm

loudmouth wrote:not to be to pickky but just so i have this in my head right. I would guess the sound waves would basicly bounce off the bottom cone and top cone as they exit the siren. hence the resion why mods and i would guess i force have a dumby cone on the bottom.

Still think nothing will beat the saw wave of a elecomecanlical siren.
wait...
loudmouth wrote:[Not] to be to [picky] but just so I have this in my head right[:] I would guess the sound waves would [basically] bounce off the bottom cone and top cone as they exit the siren. [Hence] the [reason] why mods and I would guess i force have a [dummy] cone on the bottom.

Still think nothing will beat the saw wave of [an] [electromechanical] siren.
(It's people like this that make me worry about my generation :wink: )

Anyways, you are correct. However, most electronic sirens actually do use a saw wave (I think) but from a distance, like mechanical sirens, the sound sounds more electronic-police-siren-wail than mechanical.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence indicating that you tried.

Robert Gift

Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:22 pm

Thanks Klaus.
That is just what I envisioned!
(I also envisioned a curved pathway from driver to center (drivers facing clockwise) to allow a much longer more gradual flared tube until it opened down into the disk exponential flare.

I do not understand that sharp offset from the disk opening to the exponential flare pathway (near the center connected piece.)
Looks like a sharp "step".
I would expect it to be perfectly smooth and rounded.

Electronic sirens produce a squarewave to accelerate the diaphragm from one extreme to the other. This produces the loudest sound without wasting energy controlling the diaphragm if it were a sine wave or other kind of waveform.
For voice (P.A.) the effective wattage is less because it must move the diaphragm more accurately and subtlely to produce intelligibility.
Last edited by Robert Gift on Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dillon

Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:43 am

what a good idea!
Let the sirens sound for the remembrence of those who lost thier lives at virginia tech 4/16/07. R.I.P

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”