StonedChipmunk

Hidden Chattanooga, TN T-bolt FOUND!

Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:42 pm

To those of you who have talked with me about sirens in my area, I told you all about a mysterious "black Thunderbolt" that hid along a freeway around Chattanooga, TN.

I found it!!!!

I was driving from Chattanooga to... uh... where was I driving? Pigeon Forge was my final destination, but there was somewhere that we stopped... oh well. Anyways, it is on North I-75 heading away from Chattanooga on the right side of the road.

It's pole mounted and I could not get a very good look at it, but it's pretty visible going north. It's actually more of a gray color (probably the paint slowly wearing away). It should be pretty much pointing across the road (if it isn't, then I'll be...).

If anyone is driving around there, please take the time to pull over and take some pics... I would love to get a bit more info about this siren, since it doesn't seem like it's under Chattanooga-area jurisdiction, because all Chattanooga Thunderbolts are CD yellow.

Google Maps doesn't have a good enough resolution to find it, sorry... but I can say that it is north of Chattanooga and should be relatively easy to find.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence indicating that you tried.

2001srnfan

Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:37 am

Yippie.
Owner of Ontario Severe Weather Forecasting
http://www.scostorms.com

StonedChipmunk

Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:49 am

2001srnfan wrote:Yippie.
Thanks for the enthusiastic support! Actually, I wanted to simply know if anyone was going to be around this area any time soon (and if they could get some info or photos). I know of a few people who visit this area occasionally.

Whelen Rules

Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:22 am

StonedChipmunk wrote:
Thanks for the enthusiastic support! Actually, I wanted to simply know if anyone was going to be around this area any time soon (and if they could get some info or photos). I know of a few people who visit this area occasionally.
I am about 1 1/2 hours away on I-24 up here in Tullahoma in Middle TN and visit the area every now an then. My aunt lived in Chattanooga for years (she attended Univeristy of TN branch there UTC). She now lives with her husband right over the border in GA. I have seen several Thunderbolts in Chattanooga, including one clearly visible from I-24 in Downtown it is mounted in a building. I have never seen the t-bolt you are speaking of but will look for it. My aunt lived in Redbank, a suburb of Chattanooga. I could swear there was a t-bolt their however it was a long time ago probably 1998 when I remember seeing it long before I liked sirens. On a side note, on a trip to Gatlinburg back in 2005, we went back roads to I-40 and while traveling through Knoxville I saw several T-bolts if you are ever up there. Believe it or not I actually saw a T-bolt on a small steel pole at a city power substation. If you are looking for tornado sirens in Tennessee, don't even think of looking in East TN. Middle and West are where the most intense severe weather in TN occurs, by the time it crosses the plateau into Eastern TN they generally weaken immediately. Their are a variety of different sirens throughout the area most of which are federal however, you do have Whelen, Sentry, ASC, and unfortunately ATI's. I will deffinately hunt for that siren next time I am in Chattanooga.
Tyler Lund

Gil
YouTube Username: gilramirez12

Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:58 am

StonedChipmunk wrote:
Thanks for the enthusiastic support!
knowing 2001srnfan, i'm 100% sure that was sarcasm :roll:

StonedChipmunk

Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:26 pm

Gil wrote:
StonedChipmunk wrote:
And so was my post.

Anyways, Whelen, we never stopped in Knoxville on the way to Gatlinburg, and I was asleep most of the way back. However, I am planning to go in 2 weeks or so! I will bring my camera and see what I can do in Knoxville and possibly nab the Mystery Siren.

I pass that building-mounted Tbolt every weekend on the bus run to Wal-Mart/Bi-Lo/The-Mall. I forgot the name of the building. Mary Walkers Tower or something? Never mind.

It saddens me that Chattanooga does not use the sirens anymore. They should seriously take them down, because they are just taking up space (and rusting to death, probably). Even when there was a tornado on our side of Lookout Mountain they didn't budge. (Not even the school's Mod sounded!) :x

Charlie Davidson
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: soccerdude7330Official

Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:45 pm

Sorry for the bump, but if you guys still want a picture of this siren, I may can take care of that. We're currently very close to Chattanooga this weekend and if time and my dad permits, I'll go shoot some pics of the black Thunderbolt for you guys.
Charlie Davidson

Storm Chasing? Storm Chasing.
Proud owner of a fully operational Thunderbolt 1000T warning siren. Test your speakers.

The YouTube Channel is alive again.

Looking for a manual? I probably have it here: SirenManuals.com

r4tbolts

Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:57 pm

StonedChipmunk wrote:
Gil wrote:
StonedChipmunk wrote:
And so was my post.

Anyways, Whelen, we never stopped in Knoxville on the way to Gatlinburg, and I was asleep most of the way back. However, I am planning to go in 2 weeks or so! I will bring my camera and see what I can do in Knoxville and possibly nab the Mystery Siren.

I pass that building-mounted Tbolt every weekend on the bus run to Wal-Mart/Bi-Lo/The-Mall. I forgot the name of the building. Mary Walkers Tower or something? Never mind.

It saddens me that Chattanooga does not use the sirens anymore. They should seriously take them down, because they are just taking up space (and rusting to death, probably). Even when there was a tornado on our side of Lookout Mountain they didn't budge. (Not even the school's Mod sounded!) :x
Just curious but if they have a silent Mod in a tornado situation and don't use it what type of emergency are they waiting for? Then again I have always scratched my head about storm/tornados in the deep south. some communities seem to be getting with the program but it's been my experince (roots from Tennessee) that the attitudes about sirens and tornados in the deep south are kind of passive and most people don't think tornados or sirens are a big deal. I can reacall an incident in Jackosn Tn a few years ago where the old CD sirens didn't sound in a Tornado warning because no one on duty knew how to activate them.

Charlie Davidson
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: soccerdude7330Official

Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:34 am

Here it is! I don't have a clue of the exact model of this Thunderbolt, so it's either a 1000 or 1000T (my guess would be a 1000T). Looks like it has an FC on it, because the RCM1 box is mounted WAY high up and there is no Siratrol mounted anywhere on it. Looks to be a single phase siren, because there were only two hot wires and a ground running to the siren. The blower is also mounted high up, and this siren appears to be still working.

By the way, this siren is located on the LEFT side of the interstate and is ~8 miles north on I-75. It's not really black, it was painted yellow, but the paint is worn. Any ideas from anyone if this siren is tested?

Pictures (click image for larger view):

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hjbJzgCT7g
Charlie Davidson

Storm Chasing? Storm Chasing.
Proud owner of a fully operational Thunderbolt 1000T warning siren. Test your speakers.

The YouTube Channel is alive again.

Looking for a manual? I probably have it here: SirenManuals.com

Thunderboltlover
YouTube Username: thunderboltlover

Siren

Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:48 pm

I will try contacting that city if I can.

I'll let you know what happens.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”