SirenEnthusiast360

Sirens mounted pitchfork style

Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:14 am

I don't know if this can be done or not, but is it possible to have two sirens on one pole, like a giant pitchfork? I think you've seen streetlamps where they have two lamps on the same pole but can they apply that design to sirens, or would that be unstable?
I can't hear you! *air raid siren sounding* Ok I can hear you now.

Klauskinski

Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:49 am

Hi!

Of course it is possible; the construction must be strong enough and you have to take care that the horns don't collide while the sirens run. ;) But it would be easier to use two poles.

Daniel

Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:50 pm

Like this?

Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

Robert Gift

Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:02 pm

Leave it to Daniel to have a photo!

Would be fun to hear all the resultants created by those two sirens so close to each other.

But seems like a waste.
They should spread them out.

Two sirens together are no louder than the loudest one.

Gil
YouTube Username: gilramirez12

Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:24 pm

My guess is that one is for Tornadoes (being in Wisconsin and all) and the other is for Fires/other.

PhRed

Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:30 pm

The one to the right is a Decot dual-toned model which sounds on a major fifth near A major.
Having heard both on separate soundfiles offered during the 2004 Siren Contest (I can e-mail you both if you wish), I can say that the T-Bolt shown sounds on the lower portion of the aforementioned chord, or something like a C-sharp.
Therefore (or at least IMO), the resultant chord shouldn't be any different than if the Decot were to sound alone.

Daniel

Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:42 pm

PhRed wrote:The one to the right is a Decot dual-toned model which sounds on a major fifth near A major.
Having heard both on separate soundfiles offered during the 2004 Siren Contest (I can e-mail you both if you wish), I can say that the T-Bolt shown sounds on the lower portion of the aforementioned chord, or something like a C-sharp.
Therefore (or at least IMO), the resultant chord shouldn't be any different than if the Decot were to sound alone.
Not to be nit-picky, but that particular Decot is actually a 10/16 model and sounds a 6th interval. There is a sound file on Marcoz' site and it is quite melodic.

There was another photo from Indiana, I believe, which showed two Model 2's side-by-side on a pole and painted red, white, and blue.

Robert Gift

Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:50 pm

Since they cannot rise and descend in the same relation to one another, they no doubt create all kinds of interesting resultants.

When I was driving an ambulace with the Unitrol 800 siren in Wail, when I hit the Q siren and it rose with the Wail rise, it created all kinds of effects.
Where the Q was rising as the Wail was descending, or vice-versa, at some points it felt as though our ears were "cracking" -though the volume in the passenger compartment was never loud at all.
Wish I could have recorded the effect.

Daniel

Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:00 pm

I have wondered what would happen if two sirens in a "pitchfork" arrangement were slowly alternated back and forth, perhaps switching back and forth every four seconds or so. If both sirens were of a similar size but different port ratios, such as 10-port and 12-port Model 5's, it could produce a very distinct warning signal. Here is a short simulation taken from my old GCS Model 2 alternating with a pitch-modulated recording of the same. The timing isn't perfect, but it makes an obnoxious warning.

http://media.putfile.com/Alternating-siren-setup
Last edited by Daniel on Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PhRed

Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:21 pm

Daniel wrote:
Not to be nit-picky, but that particular Decot is actually a 10/16 model and sounds a 6th interval. There is a sound file on Marcoz' site and it is quite melodic.
Thanks for the correction. I was never a music buff. ;)

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”