SirenMadness

Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:08 pm

Robert Gift wrote:
SirenMadness wrote:The stator is inside the chopper, possibly so that the displacement of air is more efficient.
What!! Please explain.
What I mean is that if you have a large physical volume of chopper or stator, you will have to have allot of air pumping to get the pressure right. With a smaller physical volume, you need less air to get the pressure right. Since the chopper is not the smallest thing, why not put the stator inside of it, to minimize too much displacement of air?
~ Peter Radanovic

AllSafe

Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:32 am

Klauskinski wrote:Of course they are louder. He used a lower air pressure for testing. Otherwise it would be too loud.
I meant louder than 124dbC@30m.
Ich spreche nicht Deutsch...doh!

Nelso90

Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:14 am

Klauskinski wrote:The stator actually is inside the chopper: the part on the 2nd picture with the black surrounded air holes fits into the copper colored chopper you can see on the first pic. That's enough for producing a sound. The four "holes" around the chopper lead the sound downwards to the horns. That's the "secret". ;)
Yeah, a chopper doesn't have to look like a fan, like A T-1000. The only reason a T-1000's chopper has fan blades in it is because it was a carryover part from the model 2. The HLS simply uses the chopper to modulate the air being pushed outward by the compressor, and nothing more.
Leave it to the Germans to overengineer something like this! I LOVE IT!! :twisted:

Robert Gift

Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:36 am

Klauskinski wrote:The stator actually is inside the chopper: the part on the 2nd picture with the black surrounded air holes fits into the copper colored chopper you can see on the first pic. That's enough for producing a sound. The four "holes" around the chopper lead the sound downwards to the horns. That's the "secret". ;)
Thank you.
So the tight tolerances are between the inner non turning stator and spinning chopper around it.
No need for tight tolerances between the chopper and outside cylinder with the chambers leading to the exponential horns.

Klauskinski

Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:21 am

I meant louder than 124dbC@30m.
Okay, I thought you'd have referred to the test video which is linked on the top. ;)

Shinkansen

Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:03 pm

Wow, nice. I'd like to have one of those. One question, why is it that HLS has only horns, and doesn't have the huge housing the other HLS's do?
Blades will bleed. Shields Will Shatter. But as the light fades, will the Hero rise again? Or will darkness rein?

Klauskinski

Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:43 am

The housing isn't necessary - it's just expensive. :wink:

SirenMadness

Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:15 pm

The HLS with those big housings had a different profile of projectors than the HLS-273, right?
~ Peter Radanovic

Klauskinski

Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:18 pm

Yes, right. And there is one more difference: The HLS you can see in this thread has a cylindric chopper with four air holes on the side. The Pintsch Bamag and the H?rmann F71 (Maybe the Rickmers Werft too - we don't know) have a disk with four holes in it.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”