Dillon

anything here?

Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:01 am

I was wonderin if there are any sirens in Redmond,Oregon? Its where I live
Let the sirens sound for the remembrence of those who lost thier lives at virginia tech 4/16/07. R.I.P

StonedChipmunk

Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:14 am

1.) Check it out yourself, see if you can find any. (We're not here to do your homework. :) )
2.) The Siren Archive says no. Maybe you can find some close to where you live. Here is the *LINK* to the Oregon section.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence indicating that you tried.

Blasty

Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:21 am

Wow, never thought I'd run into someone else from Redmond!

I remember what might be a Darley model 2 possibly on the corner of 8th street and Greenwood (or near there), but I don't know if it's still there. About a year ago it was. I used to live right near it, but it never sounded. No idea what it was for.

That's the only one I'm aware of. The other one (I think Daniel told me it was a model 3) apparently was removed before I even knew about sirens, and was where the Fred Meyer now stands.
Beware those who teach not how to think, but what to think.

Daniel

Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:27 am

StonedChipmunk wrote:1.) Check it out yourself, see if you can find any. (We're not here to do your homework. :) )
2.) The Siren Archive says no. Maybe you can find some close to where you live. Here is the *LINK* to the Oregon section.
Lighten up on the new guy, dude! Redmond had a couple of Model 5's, one of which was in a baseball park next to the new Safeway. Bend had at least one of them downtown on the old fire station (the housing is still there but there's nothing inside). Madras has a Model 5 at the fire station and a Model 2 on the city hall. Terrebonne has an old Darley Model 5, Prineville has an STH-10, and there used to be a Sterling Little Giant in Chemult, but nobody there knows where it went. Then there's the missing Thunderbolt from Klamath Falls, but I'll stop now.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

StonedChipmunk

Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:33 am

Daniel wrote:Lighten up on the new guy, dude!
Nobody calls me dude. And I am just kindly noting that going around town and looking around (or recalling previous locations for us to investigate) would be more helpful than asking for a list of sirens. That's like asking for a list of sirens in San Diego:

... umm... well, there are none, but you get the point.

Thunderbolt 612

anything here?

Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:10 am

Wow, those blue Federals and green Whelens are very cool looking, along with the burnished control box in Seaside, and the 3-horned unknown siren are very unusual looking. :D

StonedChipmunk

Re: anything here?

Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:56 pm

Thunderbolt 612 wrote:Wow, those blue Federals and green Whelens are very cool looking, along with the burnished control box in Seaside, and the 3-horned unknown siren are very unusual looking. :D
Whelen actually sells about 30% green, 30% white, 30% black, and 10% other colors. The white is for the rotating WPS series, the black for the omnidirectional WPS series. The green usually is on the omni-WPS, but I've seen a few green rotating WPS's.

Green is also a popular color for Federal Signal electronic sirens. Mostly in Hawaii, Federal makes the Mod and DSA's sometimes green. (However, that must be an older-model DSA, because usually the horns are always black. It looks better than the newer versions, don't ya think?)

About the blue Federals: that looks kinda creepy-ish. I've never seen a bright-blue siren before, especially that STH/STL. (I've seen Model #'s that have some bizarre paint jobs, though...)

Does anyone have a clue what the hell that mystery siren is? It reminds me of the prototype 10V2T, but with only one tone and 4 (or 3?) horns. I'm taking my guess at a prototype, since it's obviously pretty old and out of shape.

Adam Pollak
YouTube Username: CrazySirenBoy

Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:41 pm

Those look like some pretty solid statistics there on colors.
Whelen actually sells about 30% green, 30% white, 30% black, and 10% other colors. The white is for the rotating WPS series, the black for the omnidirectional WPS series. The green usually is on the omni-WPS, but I've seen a few green rotating WPS's.
I will tell you from experience that I've seen a lot more old yellow 3016s, a lot more black 2800s and 2900s, and a lot more white/gray 4000s and vortexes than green Whelens or any other color for that matter.

StonedChipmunk

Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:01 pm

I'm speaking from limited experience :lol:

Hawaii and many mainland areas order their sirens green. No idea why. The blue ones are the ones that irritate me.

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Re: anything here?

Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:54 pm

StonedChipmunk wrote:
Thunderbolt 612 wrote:Wow, those blue Federals and green Whelens are very cool looking, along with th
Does anyone have a clue what the hell that mystery siren is? It reminds me of the prototype 10V2T, but with only one tone and 4 (or 3?) horns. I'm taking my guess at a prototype, since it's obviously pretty old and out of shape.
That is a 9 port Sterling with "custom" modifications.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”