Gil
YouTube Username: gilramirez12

Model D - Removing rotor from motor shaft.

Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:31 pm

I'm just wondering how to do this. I can't seem to get it off.

Daniel

Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:40 pm

When I was restoring a Model A, I had to heat the rotor hub with a blowtorch before it would come off. It worked quickly, though.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

Gil

Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:43 pm

Daniel wrote:When I was restoring a Model A, I had to heat the rotor hub with a blowtorch before it would come off. It worked quickly, though.
I'll see if my father has a blow torch. Approximately how long did you heat it for?

Is there an alternative way, just in case i don't have access to a blow torch?

Daniel

Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:50 pm

It's such a small item that you shouldn't have to heat it for more than 30-60 seconds. The difficulty is in grabbing it to pull upward. I don't know about a Model D, but the Model A has a cover over the port fins that is riveted on. I did pull on it and the rotor came out easily, but pulling too hard may cause this cover to come off. I used a plumbing blowtorch that I bought for around $10 and a gas cylinder for $2.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

AllSafe

Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:46 am

If it was a bigger siren I'd just tap on the shaft with a hammer.
Ich spreche nicht Deutsch...doh!

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:26 am

Just unscrew the shaft screw, remove the motor out of the housing and take off the horns, and "dangle" the rotor between some books or the like and gently tap the shaft with a hammer. Thats how I got mine out if I remember correctly. I'd be careful about a torch though, it would be easy to melt the rotor.

Nelso90

Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:39 am

Nope, the shaft actually has a single thread running down it. Mine did, I didn't save the motor, but if you want to, just twist the rotor off. I forgot which way it went, but it should go.

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:41 pm

Nelso90 wrote:Nope, the shaft actually has a single thread running down it. Mine did, I didn't save the motor, but if you want to, just twist the rotor off. I forgot which way it went, but it should go.
Are you saying yours screwed on? I've owned two different Model A's and one model L and thats how I got mine off. :?

Gil

Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:58 pm

He's right, it does have a screw.

kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: kx250racer

Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:16 pm

My model L has a setscrew on the rotor. Being into old cars & mechanical stuff, I've had my share of getting pulleys removed from shafts. Get a can of penetrating oil (Liquid Wrench, etc, or WD-40 if you can't find other,) put some on the shaft and it will work its way in between the shaft and rotor. Patience; it might take a day or 2. You don't have to wait that long, you can try sooner to see. About the torch; WATCH OUT. Use that as a last-resort only. If the rotor is aluminum, and it probably is, you can wreck it pretty easily with heat. Just pass the flame around the rotor; not the shaft. You want the rotor to expand in the heat before the shaft does. Keep the flame moving around in a circle; dont' stop in one place. It doesn't take a lot of heat to loosen it, IF that's going to work. And be ready for the paint, or the oil you put on there to catch fire. Outdoors since there will be weird fumes and maybe flaming drips of oil.

And with the tapping method, just be careful not ot hit it too hard. Lots of gentle taps are better than a hard whack, because you could actually deform the shaft and make it expand and tighten inside the rotor, and you could EASILY crack the rotor in half.

Charles
Yes, that's a real 500-lb Federal SD-10 I'm holding (braggart!)

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”