Robert Gift

Tootie on her perch before rescue. Please include yours!

Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:20 am

Federal Signal 2t22 appears on Class 2 pole in the middle of the view.
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&c ... &encType=1

Tootie was at the east end of Lowry Air Base which closed 10-1-1994.
Top of pole is 45 feet AGL.

YOU CAN ZOOM IN AND OUT - VIEW FROM NORTH, EAST, SOUTH, and WEST!

Once accessing this map, you can type in another location, go there, zero in on your siren, click on [Share], scroll to Send in E-mail to reveal URL of the location, and copy a link to this Topic.
Last edited by Robert Gift on Tue May 01, 2007 2:57 am, edited 5 times in total.

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:29 am

You should get a picture of it installed now.

Robert Gift

Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:51 am

Sorry that I do not yet have a photo.
I don't know how to place a photo here.

She is on her metal three-legged pole-stand bolted to the to the top of a mobile home stairway platform.
The platform is braced to the guard rails surrounding the mobile home park's sewage plant digestion tank.
(While attaching her projectors, if one falls into the digester, one will sink through the tiny bubbles to the bottom and not be able to swim to the surface!)

She is temporarily connected to 240 V three-phase power which powers the digestion tank aerator pumps.

I hope to mount her on my fire station roof and paint her firengine red with black inside the projectors. Or would white inside be.tter?

I must bring power 193.5 feet underground from sewage plant meter to fire station meter.
We must have the three-phase disconnect right next to station single-phase 240 V service entrance so both will be turned off in an emergency.

But Xcel Energy says we cannot have single-phase and three-phase at the same building. (The three-phase is only to be exterior up to the siren.)
What's a boy to do?
Last edited by Robert Gift on Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:55 am

Why not just leave the siren where its at and run a small control wire (ie: telephone wire) form the fire station to the siren? Running power that far will result in a bad voltage drop of small wire is used, and you'd probably spend hundreds for the wire and installation. Oh, and if you want a place to hose your picture, try PhotoBucket, its free and I host all my pictures on there.

Trey
YouTube Username: SD10s4ever

Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:57 am

Robert Gift wrote:Sorry that I do not yet have a photo.
I don't know how to place a phot0 here.

She is on her metal pole-stand bolted to the to the top of a mobile home stairway platform.
I braced the platform against the guard rails surrounding the mobile home park's sewage plant digestion tank.

She is temporarily connected to 240 three-phase power which powers the digestion tank aerator pumps.

We hope to mount her on my fire station roof.

I must bring power 193.5 feet underground from sewage plant meter to fire station meter.
Must have three-phase disconnect right next to station single-phase 240 service entrance. But Xcel Energy says we cannot have single-phase and three-phase at the same building.
What's a boy to do?
Them and their big decisions.....

We have Xcel too. They're not terribly strict around here about stuff like that.

Robert Gift

Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:00 am

JasonC wrote:Why not just leave the siren where its at and run a small control wire (ie: telephone wire) form the fire station to the siren? Running power that far will result in a bad voltage drop of small wire is used, and you'd probably spend hundreds for the wire and installation. Oh, and if you want a place to hose your picture, try PhotoBucket, its free and I host all my pictures on there.
She is much too low on the three foot high platform. Plus, we want her proudly on our roof.
She'll be heard throughout the park on the roof.
I have calculated voltage drop for the wire gauge, type and length of run.
#4 awg will be less than $300. #6 awg, less money, should work, too.

Justin

Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:33 am

Robert Gift wrote:I don't know how to place a photo here.
Quite easy. :) Forgive me if I sound like I'm spelling out the obvious, creates less confusion.

1. Take the photo and then send it to a computer, digital is much easier :) You'll need a scanner to get the physical photo into a digital format.

2. Upload the photo to your own web space, failing that; a photo-hosting service. I use Photobucket, and have had no problems with them.

3. Once it's uploaded, you will see the photo along with three boxes below it containing some text. These are the links that will tell a browser where the image is.

4. Click on the text box containing the [IMG] tags in it, once. Photobucket will display a little message saying 'Copied.'.

5. Write a new forum reply, and paste the text (Ctrl + V or Right Click > Paste).

6. Submit the post (or preview first, whichever you prefer) and your image will present itself to the world.

Hope that helps.

Archon

Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:28 am

Is X-Cel also known as Northern States Power??

Thunderbolt 612

Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:11 pm

Actually, X-Cel was the siren company that occured after ACA went under, and before ASC came into being.

Robert Gift

Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:30 pm

Thank you, Justin.
I'll follow your instructions.

Xcel Energy is our gas and electric utility company. Formerly Public Service Company.

Regarding Xcel, I may have found a loophole by placing a 50-amp electric range plug and receptacle in a weatherproof box at the meter site.
That way, this is not a permanent line/installation which must meet code.
Yet, it is still perfectly safe.
During months when no tornado is likely, we could unplug the range plug.
Then plug it in for a monthly test or for an unusual tornado warning.

HOW LONG IS A MONTHLY SIREN TEST? ONE MINUTE?

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”