Reactor Cat
YouTube Username: mrmeowmeowclaw

Re: ACA Hurricane 130 siren

Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:47 pm

nvanw27 wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:03 am
One of Darien's old units is now in the possession of Cruz Newberry and the blower is at Sam Compton's.

When you call and offer money for a unit, you have to keep in mind that this is a BUSINESS, not a hobby shop. It's more than likely that they were keeping any units they had to keep existing ones going or to part out in case anything was useable on any other sirens they served. Their main priority isn't to cater to the need of every enthusiast out there, they're a community warning service and their foremost point of order is to provide adequate warning methods for the areas they service. That's why Darien's final Hurricane got replaced with a T-128, because it was just not cost effective or safe to keep the unit in service anymore. It's why so many older units are constantly getting replaced, is due to safety or liability issues or reliability issues. You wouldn't install a Thunderbolt in an area known to have frequent power outages or on a building with no generator or power backup, much like you wouldn't sell a car with a rusted out frame or spoiled food knowingly.

They likely won't get rid of something like that. It's not because they don't care or don't like you, they're doing what's best for their business and their customers.
It wasn't Darien's unit. It was Baxter MN's unit. It was put in the scrap yard because it ceased operation. Read the first post till this post.
I like snowmobiles and sirens. Who likes snowmobiles. I own a Skidoo Safari 447. Rare engine indeed. Want proof. DM me on discord. Contact ReactorCat#1004 :D :)

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: 301.3 Productions
Discord: nottimwakefield

Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:12 pm

Mrmeowmeowclaw wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:47 pm
It wasn't Darien's unit. It was Baxter MN's unit. It was put in the scrap yard because it ceased operation. Read the first post till this post.
The same still stands for Baxter's. Scrap yards hardly ever sell outside their yards.
-Nik VW
3.6 roentgen - Not Great, not terrible.

OnlineRecords0

Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:34 pm

I still wonder is that supposed solenoid Hurricane still exists. Where ever it is.

Reactor Cat

Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:35 am

Orange wrote:
I still wonder is that supposed solenoid Hurricane still exists. Where ever it is.
ACA said they could have solenoids on one of their posters. But their was no proof or we don't know of any proof of hurricanes with them
I like snowmobiles and sirens. Who likes snowmobiles. I own a Skidoo Safari 447. Rare engine indeed. Want proof. DM me on discord. Contact ReactorCat#1004 :D :)

C0mmanche

YouTube Username: Vyclops

Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:54 am

Orange wrote:
I think it was confirmed from Jim Biersach himself that the "solenoid" hurricane 130 was actually a 3 signal capable one, the 3rd signal being pulse.
wee woo liker
not near any sirens
how did i get here
:shock:
i see everyone talk about how they own 8375839 thunderbolts in here but i don't own any sirens

Crazywarriorman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: crazywarriorman

Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:31 am

ACA built several Hurricanes with slide valves in the copper stator to make HI / LOW and dual tone pulse signals. Most went to chemical and oil refineries to indicate what zone had a emergency. The valves were moved using electric solenoids made by Trombetta Corp. in Menomonee Falls, WI.

ACA only made made one Hurricane siren that used DC current to stop the chopper motor to make it yelp. Because the rotors were only 8 inches in diameter, they didn't have a motor heat problem with the yelp signal and could use aluminum cores in the motor. That Hurricane siren was as a demo unit and I don't think any were sold to any city. I think the siren ended up at their Klaxon dealer in South Africa around 1971.
Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.

OnlineRecords0

Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:09 am

Crazywarriorman wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:31 am
ACA built several Hurricanes with slide valves in the copper stator to make HI / LOW and dual tone pulse signals. Most went to chemical and oil refineries to indicate what zone had a emergency. The valves were moved using electric solenoids made by Trombetta Corp. in Menomonee Falls, WI.

ACA only made made one Hurricane siren that used DC current to stop the chopper motor to make it yelp. Because the rotors were only 8 inches in diameter, they didn't have a motor heat problem with the yelp signal and could use aluminum cores in the motor. That Hurricane siren was as a demo unit and I don't think any were sold to any city. I think the siren ended up at their Klaxon dealer in South Africa around 1971.
Thank you for this information.

But does that Klaxon Dealer still have it?

Crazywarriorman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: crazywarriorman

Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:09 pm

They do not. I called every Klaxon distributer/dealer/salesperson 10 years ago and none of them had any idea what I was talking about. I do think this one is long gone, sadly.
Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.

Reactor Cat

Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:16 pm

Quick update on the most likely Baxter MK1, Um guys, I got an email from the other owner of Crow wing recycling, and he said that It wasn't scrapped. He told me that when people were asking if they could buy it, the company cut the siren up and scrapped the metal parts. He also said that either the siren is under a pile of junk, Recycled into most likely insulation, Or somewhere else in the yard. But I found this image. It looks like a cut-up hurricane 130 with possibly the blower. He didn't say anything about the blower but theirs a possibility that parts of the horn is on top of the blower to make it look like it's 7 feet. I'm most likely wrong but you never know.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-12-10 10.09.28.png
Screenshot 2021-12-10 10.09.28.png (24.2 KiB) Viewed 1578 times

HudsonRiverSirens
YouTube Username: HudsonRiverSirens
Discord: gls5768

Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:43 pm

That picture is blurry and unintelligible. There is no way you can infer any of that based on that blob.
Sirens may not be sexy, but they sure work.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”