DSRX100
YouTube Username: DSRX100

EOWS 612 in Mt. Vernon, IL

Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:40 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8plMbocyeo

Here's a test of the warning sirens in Mt. Vernon, Illinois, not to be confused with Mt. Vernon, Indiana, which isn't too far away. They test them the first Tuesday of the month at 10AM, much like the rest of the state. The city has at least four EOWS 612 sirens, but there's a possibility there could be other sirens in the surrounding area since they considered adding more at some point. Not to mention, there's these mystery DTMF strings I kept hearing that didn't correspond with the 612 I recorded. Maybe they activate other sirens? Who knows.

This 612 is located near Mt. Vernon City Hall, across the fire department who I think activates them. According to their website and an article I read, they sound the sirens for both severe thunderstorm and tornado warnings. During testing, they test all three primary functions. The article said that the first test sounds the sirens in hi-lo, the second, a constant wail tone (probably attack), and the third test checks the function of the live voice message system. Well, as you can tell, it definitely didn't do a hi-lo tone, so I have no idea what happened there. Hi-lo sounds for severe storms while wail sounds for tornado warnings.

It was a nice test and the siren's ear-piercing, screaming high-pitch was surprisingly very loud. There's not a whole lot of electronic FS sirens in my area and I don't always get the opportunity to record a siren in Illinois either with college classes starting soon. But, I'm definitely coming back sometime to record another one for sure. Who knows, maybe there's a dual tone one somewhere.
-Brandon Mendel
Youtube: DSRX100

SiratoneGuy612
YouTube Username: Imposterphone

Re: EOWS 612 in Mt. Vernon, IL

Mon May 16, 2016 7:16 pm

DSRX100 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8plMbocyeo

Here's a test of the warning sirens in Mt. Vernon, Illinois, not to be confused with Mt. Vernon, Indiana, which isn't too far away. They test them the first Tuesday of the month at 10AM, much like the rest of the state. The city has at least four EOWS 612 sirens, but there's a possibility there could be other sirens in the surrounding area since they considered adding more at some point. Not to mention, there's these mystery DTMF strings I kept hearing that didn't correspond with the 612 I recorded. Maybe they activate other sirens? Who knows.

This 612 is located near Mt. Vernon City Hall, across the fire department who I think activates them. According to their website and an article I read, they sound the sirens for both severe thunderstorm and tornado warnings. During testing, they test all three primary functions. The article said that the first test sounds the sirens in hi-lo, the second, a constant wail tone (probably attack), and the third test checks the function of the live voice message system. Well, as you can tell, it definitely didn't do a hi-lo tone, so I have no idea what happened there. Hi-lo sounds for severe storms while wail sounds for tornado warnings.

It was a nice test and the siren's ear-piercing, screaming high-pitch was surprisingly very loud. There's not a whole lot of electronic FS sirens in my area and I don't always get the opportunity to record a siren in Illinois either with college classes starting soon. But, I'm definitely coming back sometime to record another one for sure. Who knows, maybe there's a dual tone one somewhere.
Just glad it isn't sick unlike the other one.
Hi

Jake_7367
Discord: Keigo#2002

Tue May 17, 2016 11:09 am

You just bumped a 7 plus month old thread..
I love Yamaha Music Sirens.
Twitter: Yamaha and Matsush¡ta Enthusiast (@Matsush¡taMan) (replace ¡ with i)

SiratoneGuy612
YouTube Username: Imposterphone

Tue May 17, 2016 6:53 pm

Jake_7367 wrote:You just bumped a 7 plus month old thread..
I didn't mean to do it.
Hi

birds1337

Tue May 17, 2016 7:29 pm

SiratoneGuy612 wrote:
Jake_7367 wrote:You just bumped a 7 plus month old thread..
I didn't mean to do it.
Or maybe just stop sifting through dead threads and focus on what's current.
-The Bird

lkreykes

Wed May 18, 2016 4:41 am

How do you not mean to intentionally bump a thread? Just don't do it; problem solved.
im scared

TboltTX1
YouTube Username: TboltTX1, Sentry40V2T

Wed May 18, 2016 6:11 pm

It looks like the point has already been made here. Please do not bump a dead topic unless you have new, relevant information to add. Locked.

Return to “Videos and Media”