Travis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: DL1011

Greenville, TX Revisit/Pics

Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:27 pm

Logan and Bryan came to visit a week or so ago and we went out to Greenville because I had found another Penetrator and Fedelcode on maps and was curious to see if they had anything else. We didn't find any more sirens than I had already known about, but Logan did get some updated pictures for us. From what I can see, some of these look like they originally had telephone line activation, but some now have antennas.

First off is the one everyone knows about right off of IH-30. The blower is not connected to the siren, but people say that this thing points in different directions on occasion.

Next is the lesser-known airport double installation. This Hurricane is definitely not hooked up anymore, but it it appears as if the Penetrator is still at least getting power. I tried to record this siren a couple years ago and it didn't go off with the ATI's a couple blocks away.

Here is another Penetrator on the West side of town near an industrial area. Note the gigantic control cabinet. This one looked like it still was connected to a landline.

Last is this old Fedelcode at an elementary school a good bit north of town. We couldn't get very close due to construction and fencing around the area.

Nobody knows if these sirens are still activated at all, despite at least some of them being hooked up to power. Perhaps the wind just blows the Hurricane horn around to mess with us... The only one that appears to have rotated is the IH30 Hurricane. A few users have tried to contact the EMA to find out more about them, but even they seem clueless to their original system. I would imagine that there were at least 2 more Hurricanes or Penetrators in the system at one point, but may have been taken down when ATI's (possibly) went up at their locations. I wouldn't be surprised if one was still standing somewhere I haven't discovered as there are a lot of trees in the area, and Greenville doesn't seem to shy about letting plants overgrow these.
-The Princess

siren fan

Re: Greenville, TX Revisit/Pics

Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:48 am

Such a weird situation.....

CDV777-1
YouTube Username: vanamonde2

Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:32 am

Even weirder with Greenville is that they had at lease two of these for a while.

This one was on Pickett street between the railroad tracks on Oct 19 2004.
The street view date is Nov 2007 and the thing is gone. But the image watermark is 2014 for what that's worth.
https://goo.gl/maps/pUpog2aSDj32
Either way it's got to be later than 2004.

This one was on Forester Street I'm about 90% sure of the location matching it up to the street view link below.
The streetview date of this link is 2013 but if you go a litte further north on the street in streetview then it
switches to 2007 and the ATI already was missing in 2007 like the other one.
https://goo.gl/maps/hiagzWbmpoB2
Who knows what happened here. Seems like I remember someone saying that the installer botched the job with
the ATIs. If that was the case then it must have been pretty bad for them to have been pulled within a couple
of years. Those are the only two I remember seeing back then but then again I didn't drive all over town looking for
more ATIs. Maybe there was a lawsuit and the guy had to pull them. Just speculating though... :?:
Proud owner of a garage full of junk.

Travis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:40 pm

Yeah I have no clue. It's like they copied Garland's every move. Oh well at least that means that in a few years they will take everything down and start over again with Whelen overkill ;)
-The Princess

siren fan

Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:54 am

The Hurricane installs look very similar to Garland's when they still had them. Maybe installed at the same time by the same installation company?

CDV777-1
YouTube Username: vanamonde2

Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:38 am

The Hurricane installs look very similar to Garland's when they still had them. Maybe installed at the same time by the same installation company?
I think they must have gone in at the same time. The poles are identical to Garland's. I remember when those Hurricanes went up in Garland. I didn't know what the heck
I was looking at the first time I saw one.
Proud owner of a garage full of junk.

siren fan

Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:40 am

When were they installed?

Travis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:14 am

I would guess very late 1970's or very early 1980's. It seemed like a large number of towns around this area had some kind of massive installation/update frenzy in 1981 or so.
-The Princess

Ninja Squirrel

Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:48 am

Whether or not it is still up, here's another Penetrator on the south side. The Maps imagery is from 2007, but satellite view shows that it's still up.

https://goo.gl/maps/AgC8fsC6nyK2

EDIT: Found another one near the center of the city.

https://goo.gl/maps/NtwfMMSaFJF2
Last edited by Ninja Squirrel on Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
The sniper rifle. For when you want to reach out and touch someone. Like blow their head off.
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/HyperFlameGuy

Travis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:18 pm

Ninja Squirrel wrote:Whether or not it is still up, here's another Penetrator on the south side. The Maps imagery is from 2007, but satellite view shows that it's still up.

https://goo.gl/maps/AgC8fsC6nyK2
I imagine it probably is. I figured there had to be another siren down there somewhere!
-The Princess

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”