BOB
Read Only
YouTube Username: BOB!_da_siren_girl

Man, I've always wanted to record one of those suckers! I probably won't get to though because a) the closest one to me

Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:04 pm

I have always wanted to record one of those suckers! Sadly, the closest one to me is the Darien one, which has been recorded by everyone in the universe, and I don't think my dad will drive me 10 hrs to Milwaukee just to film a screaming, hunking piece of metal
Just a siren lovin' girl in da midwest! I would like to owna Thunderbolt 1003

JMAN
YouTube Username: JMAN.WiS&S
Discord: @JMAN.WiS&S#2001

Re: ACA Hurricane Sirens.

Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:57 pm

SuperBanshee wrote:I'll add these locations to my master list - I've now received word from Aaron N. that La Crescent, MN had a third Hurricane at some point, replaced by a Sentry 10V.

Really!? Why did La Crescent have such saturated coverage? I wonder if this Hurricane had a fixed directional horn. I always wondered what the deal was with that sentry, being an odd purchase for the area, which is mainly FS-ASC, not sentry. Not to mention they have bought :2001: since then, so not sure why they picked a sentry, especially now that a :2001: is probably less than a mile away.
Owner of a Federal Signal 2001-DC & B9

YouTube: https://youtube.com/c/JMANWiSS
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/people/99160587@N07/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jman.wissotas ... als/?hl=en
Discord: JMAN.WiS&S#2001

SuperBanshee

Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:41 am

There are two reasons for having three Hurricanes in such a small city:

1. The Hurricanes never really gave 130 decibels at 100 feet, even when working at 100%. Therefore more sirens would be required to actually cover the city.

2. The city anticipated expansion over the years and wanted enough sirens to cover the city as it grew larger. As the city isn't very large, it appears that growth was negligible.

I don't know what happened to La Crescent's Hurricanes after the last one was replaced. It was my understanding that they were simply trashed as the city made no mention of any auctions.

siren fan

Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:58 am

CDV777-1 wrote:The "Ben Shinn Site" Photo is one of mine.
It's probably the first :hurricane: pic I took with my first digital camera.
Here's a crop of the original.
I have a folder full of Garland :hurricane: pics from the early 2000s.
Do you mind sharing your Garland Hurricane photos? I remember those sirens fondly, would be good to see some old photos of them. :D

Stevan Z
YouTube Username: ChicagoSirens

Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:21 am

http://youtu.be/fcOfxarWU2g Looks like the Milwaukee Hurricane is screwed up again. Not my video.

Sirenfan1000
YouTube Username: amtrak3501

Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:41 am

I noticed the Allertronic in Rolling Meadows still has its old Hurricane blower pipe on the side of the building its mounted on. Also yes I also heard there used to be a few Hurricanes in Berrien county MI for Cook's plant
owner of a Sentry F2 4 Model D's 2 Model L's 4 Model A's A Model J a Sireno Model D, Edwards Model F and a Western Cullen Hayes Mechanical Bell

connerdstines

Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:12 am

The most interesting thing about the Hurricane to me is that all-in-one chopper/motor made by Doerr. Iv'e never really seen an American siren with a custom motor quite like that before(Federal's Model X motors are an exception because they were designed and made by Federal), especially from a third-party. Most sirens use standard motors used in all sorts of other applications.
Down to a Thunderbolt chopper, still a few goofy flashlight-siren combos, and a Model L.

Brendan Ahern

Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:48 am

It's not entirely true that other sirens use standard motors. Most use limited duty motors. Meaning they can only run for about 15 minutes at a time and have to cool off for awhile. I have worked in a heavily industrial field for about 12 years now. The motors we use are always continuous duty. The meaning here is obvious, they can basically run forever, until they need maintenance or repair. I believe the only siren company using continuous duty motors is Sentry.

r4tbolts

Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:59 am

Sirenfan1000 wrote:I noticed the Allertronic in Rolling Meadows still has its old Hurricane blower pipe on the side of the building its mounted on. Also yes I also heard there used to be a few Hurricanes in Berrien county MI for Cook's plant
Yes, Berrien County had them. I seen them many times from I-94 when going to Chicago back in the day.

BOB
Read Only
YouTube Username: BOB!_da_siren_girl

Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:04 pm

How do you tell the T-bolt and Hurricane Square Horn apart?
Just a siren lovin' girl in da midwest! I would like to owna Thunderbolt 1003

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”