BBoi00
YouTube Username: Sirens and Stuff

Thunderbolt 1000T Lansing, Michigan

Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:54 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlB7MnfqvVU
So I originally was going to record a Thunderbolt 1003 but it was replaced by a 2001-130 so I pulled up the siren map and we shot over to this 1000T. Sorry for talking during the vid, I was trying to give my parents a heads up about the siren starting. During our trip through Lansing I also noticed multiple Modulators. Also if I did something wrong please excuse me because this is my first time posting on the board. With that being said I hope you enjoy!
Happy and slightly confused owner of a STL-10, Whelen wps-2905, Federal Signal Thunderbolt 1000, and a Federal Enterprises Model-2

r4tbolts

Re: Thunderbolt 1000T Lansing, Michigan

Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:29 pm

Nice video. Lansing tests seem to be getting shorter and shorter. I grew up in Lansing when the T-bolts (most placed in service in the mid-60's) were tested in Alert and Attack and the testing would last a good 3 to five minutes. BTW, where did you see the mods? I know of one on the parking ramp at Grand and Shiawassee, where were the others? FYI another Mod is at the MSU Golf Course in East Lansing, MSU replaced the T-bolts on campus with 2001's a few years ago.

Toledo 2t22
YouTube Username: Calvin Mayer

Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:14 pm

There are Modulator IIs all over the MSU campus now. One of them replaced one of the 2001s that was atop the Manly Miles Building (Street View). The other two may have also been replaced but I hardly travel up there anymore since my girlfriend graduated last May. Just off the top of my head there's another at Farm and Service, one on the Intramural East Field along Shaw, one at the SE corner of the Stadium, and one between the Breslin and the Red Cedar.

Here are some photos Jennifer sent me of the IM east field Modulator II. I tried filming this once last year after it was powered up but all I heard was 2001 ambiance.

GO GREEN
Whole pole.jpg
Whole pole.jpg (119.21 KiB) Viewed 5354 times
close up.jpg
close up.jpg (63.52 KiB) Viewed 5354 times
antenna.jpg
antenna.jpg (49.17 KiB) Viewed 5354 times
-Calvin Mayer

Tyler, how many sirens do I own now?

Calvin Mayer on YouTube

r4tbolts

Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:52 pm

Thanks for the update, I had no idea MSU replaced the 2001's they were not all that old.

BBoi00
YouTube Username: Sirens and Stuff

Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:54 pm

Yea, I was a little disappointed when they only did a 30 second blast considering I had seen the older lengthy test videos with 30 second blast, full alert, then full attack but it was still cool because this was my first 1000T I have seen. The first mod II that I saw was at the intersection of Harrison road and Kalamazoo street, I can't recall where the second one I saw was, and the last Mod II that I saw was behind some farm buildings if a recall correctly, and all the Mod II's that I saw where on campus.
Happy and slightly confused owner of a STL-10, Whelen wps-2905, Federal Signal Thunderbolt 1000, and a Federal Enterprises Model-2

Sirenfan1000
YouTube Username: amtrak3501

Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:01 pm

when I was in Lansing Twp a few years back, I shot it ( I didnt have a full HD camera back then) and it acted screwy like it didnt even want to do attack. So its no wonder it fell. Also Lansings 1000T's have had them FS aluminum boxes since I can remember (first saw them in 2009
owner of a Sentry F2 4 Model D's 2 Model L's 4 Model A's A Model J a Sireno Model D, Edwards Model F and a Western Cullen Hayes Mechanical Bell

Sirenfan1000

Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:03 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FT4bk5gRI4 here it is and before it starts up you can hear the other Thunderbolts fire up which sounded quite ominous in the distance
owner of a Sentry F2 4 Model D's 2 Model L's 4 Model A's A Model J a Sireno Model D, Edwards Model F and a Western Cullen Hayes Mechanical Bell

r4tbolts

Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:45 pm

Lansing Twp. Thunderbolts are/were as old as the ones in the City of Lansing. As I recall Lansing Twp. had two T-bolts one on the W. Michigan Fire Station and the other was at the Township Fire Station on the NE side of Lansing. Lansing Twp. is a kind of a strange set up with Islands of Township divided or surrounded by the City of Lansing,

Around 2009 give or take was when Lansing retooled the Thunderbolts. I think there are 18 or so in the City. I can tell you where most of them are located if you go an another hunt there.

A side note Board of Water and Light have two electronic sirens (I believe Whelens) along the river by the dam they use for a flood emergency if the dam breaks.

Sirenfan1000

Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:38 pm

Yep they are Whelens, and yes around June or so is when i noticed the Thunderbolts and their new radios. Also the Thunderbolt at Sparrow Hospital is gone

murrfarms
YouTube Username: murrfarms

Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:41 am

Sirenfan1000 wrote:Also the Thunderbolt at Sparrow Hospital is gone
The one that was at Sparrow Hospital got relocated near the Transportation Museum that's somewhat near downtown to basically cover the areas where both it and the one on the Lansing Journal building used to be. I'm not sure what they did with the one they took off of the Journal building though, it may be in storage for parts now. I don't know if they did any mechanical work to the former hospital siren or not but it at least got a fresh paint job before it went back up. They also relocated another Thunderbolt that they had in storage a while back, from its original location somewhere else downtown to near where the Army National Guard post is up by the airport on the north side. I personally find it really awesome that the city has been somewhat refurbishing the old Thunderbolts and moving them around to improve coverage, rather than just tossing them out when they get taken down.

Here's the old Sparrow Hospital Thunderbolt in its new location: https://goo.gl/maps/Pr2igEFPGRM2
And here's the other Thunderbolt from downtown that's now near the airport: https://goo.gl/maps/iWYcTDWmJXr
-Ian M.

Return to “Videos and Media”