Spencerlovestrains
YouTube Username: Spencer Harman

Kendallville, IN 2001-130 Accident.

Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:25 pm

Last week, a car hit the 2001-130 and a lift station in Kendallville, IN. I was told by a friend that this was going to get fixed soon, but I think otherwise due to the substantial damage to the siren head.

Here is the whole setup.

The lift station next to the siren.

Even though the conduit from underground was snapped, the disconnect was shut off, probably because this siren also has battery backup.

Here you can see how bad the lean is.

Part of the backbox damaged.
In my opinion, I think there way too many 2001's in Indiana!

Check out my siren recordings! https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing

Proud owner of a Fedelcode Model 2.

Valra Bellkeys
YouTube Username: Valra Bellkeys
Discord: Valra Bellkeys#0164

Re: Kendallville, IN 2001-130 Accident.

Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:48 pm

Wow, that sucks. Try to acquire it if they end up replacing it.
I own: One complete SiraTone, another SiraTone control module, a 1600W MC, 2 old ATI controllers, 2 round ATI horns with drivers, a ATI-DSA 4 thing, a Federal Signal FC, AR timer and Siratrol, and a small CD&F.

coastalsyrolover

Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:22 am

Poor 2001... But why? And I'm sorry but my tired brain must ask... What is a lift station?
Own and love a Thunderbolt 1000 and a Model 5.

I have many hobbies and interests. And I love them all.

Christian, Lima, Oscah, November, Golf.

Fireman61341

Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:39 am

coastalsyrolover wrote: And I'm sorry but my tired brain must ask... What is a lift station?

A chamber with one or more pumps in it that lifts sewage up to a higher level so it can continue on it's way to the treatment plant by gravity. We have about 30 of them in the town I work for.

gman 1
YouTube Username: Gargar 14

Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:47 am

Looks to me like he head separated from the rotator. The rotator looks level, the chopper/stator looks to have the lean.
Whatever you do, don't push that big red button🔴!!!

Jake_7367
Discord: Keigo#2002

Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:16 am

Hopefully it gets fixed before something snaps and the whole thing falls.
I love Yamaha Music Sirens.
Twitter: Yamaha and Matsush¡ta Enthusiast (@Matsush¡taMan) (replace ¡ with i)

r4tbolts

Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:03 pm

Ouch, whiplash.

Tyler
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: Thunderbolt10031

Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:51 am

That doesn't really surprise me that the head fell forward like that. Hell, most 2001-130s (or at least the ones around here) the projector and housing it attaches to, tend to lean forward. It's not a lot, but let's say that the rotator is level, then the projector leans forward about 2 or more degrees. Look at an SRN*B or older and that's not an issue at all. This is one of the strangest things these sirens do, and it has to be one of the biggest things I hate about the 130s.
My knowledge excels on the Federal Thunderbolt siren and SiraTone EOWS sirens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Proud owner of
2014 Federal UltraVoice UVICU
1981 SiraTone C/B prototype
1984 SiraTone C/B

DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:53 pm

It might have something to do with the way the head is supported internally. The older ones had a support bracket that used to span across the chopper's mouth and connect to the "chopper tube" from the Thunderbolt. The tube itself would sit right in front of the intake. This in combination of the shorter back probably introduced some turbulence issues and inhibited airflow which is probably what bottle-necked the third generation SRN and SRNB to 128 dB. When they made the back longer they shortened the bracket and placed the chopper higher up so the tube wouldn't be in the way - might be the reason 130s and Equinoxes have a hard time holding their pitch in high winds. The longer back probably puts a little more weight onto the head causing them to have a slight lean. Other than that they are pretty much the same. I haven't noticed much of any lean on the older ones around here, but I never payed that much detail to the heads. The one above probably had it's support bracket bracket break from the shock of the impact.

Inside of the SRN. All of them from the "Roundback" to the SRNB were built this way. Credit to Jeb M.

The inside of the 130. I suspect the Equinox looks identical to this, just with an Eclipse rotor in place of the Model 3's rotor. Credit to Christopher J.
Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

Snowcube
YouTube Username: Snowcube
Discord: lumex

Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:17 pm

DJ2226 wrote:It might have something to do with the way the head is supported internally. The older ones had a support bracket that used to span across the chopper's mouth and connect to the "chopper tube" from the Thunderbolt. The tube itself would sit right in front of the intake. This in combination of the shorter back probably introduced some turbulence issues and inhibited airflow which is probably what bottle-necked the third generation SRN and SRNB to 128 dB. When they made the back longer they shortened the bracket and placed the chopper higher up so the tube wouldn't be in the way - might be the reason 130s and Equinoxes have a hard time holding their pitch in high winds. The longer back probably puts a little more weight onto the head causing them to have a slight lean. Other than that they are pretty much the same. I haven't noticed much of any lean on the older ones around here, but I never payed that much detail to the heads. The one above probably had it's support bracket bracket break from the shock of the impact.

Inside of the SRN. All of them from the "Roundback" to the SRNB were built this way. Credit to Jeb M.

The inside of the 130. I suspect the Equinox looks identical to this, just with an Eclipse rotor in place of the Model 3's rotor. Credit to Christopher J.
The Equinox probably has a 8 port model 3 rotor. The model 3 was available in an 8 port version so that is probably what is used. The difference between a 3 rotor and an Eclipse rotor is that an Eclipse rotor has fan blades on it and a model 3 rotor does not.
I have an unhealthy obsession with mini sirens.
Thingiverse page

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”