SoundOff
YouTube Username: yuandrew

Rainbow, San Diego County, California SD-10

Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:29 am

Along the Interstate 15 just south of Temecula at the border of Riverside and San Diego County is the small community of Rainbow (not to be confused with another Rainbow in Placer County, CA).

I've passed by Rainbow many times traveling on the I-15 when I used to work in San Diego two years ago but decided to visit the area again last weekend. My current interest is Low Pressure Sodium (LPS) street lighting which was once extensively utilized in the area due to the close proximity of Palomar Observatory in San Diego County (the monochromatic yellow color is easily filtered out by astronomers ) so I was really on a hunt for LPS streetlights but then came across North County Fire Protection District Station #6; also known as Rainbow Volunteer Fire Department. A SD-10 is located next to the station at the corner of 5th Street and Rainbow Valley Blvd

https://goo.gl/maps/DfcwfV2tH1L2

http://www.ncfireprotectiondistrict.org/stations.html

From what I could find out, the department uses pagers to call volunteer firemen. The siren, on the other hand, is utilized to alert the surrounding community in case of wildfire. Rainbow, along with nearby Fallbrook were affected by the Rice Fire of 2007 which destroyed about 248 structures in the area.
"Calling Out To All"

Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Re: Rainbow, San Diego County, California SD-10

Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:02 am

That's a very interesting mount
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

Hacksaw

Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:04 am

That kind of mounting for sirens is typical in my area. Steel poles, maintenance basket.

insertusernamehere94

Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:53 am

Pretty sure this is an ex Fresno siren.

Adam Pollak
YouTube Username: CrazySirenBoy

Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:43 am

Only reason I'd question the siren coming from Fresno- of the dozen or so SD-10 sirens I've seen in Fresno, all were the older style with screen over the stator. I never saw any with the solid sheet metal band...not to say there weren't any though.
http://youtube.com/CrazySirenBoy
Proud owner of: Thunderbolt 1003, Thunderbolt 1000, STH-10A, Model 5BT, Model 5B, Model 3B, Model 2T (noon daily @ 1/2 voltage), Model 2, Decot, Sterling Little Giant

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”