NKTBOLT
YouTube Username: Sirens & Warning

Phase Convertor

Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:58 am

Hey ARS, so Im most likeyl getting an ACA banshee over the weekend, in AMAZING condition, but the only problem, its 3 phase. So, does anyone know or have a phase converter that i could buy for cheap, or someone selling one for cheap. Thanks, Nick
Very proud owner of a Thunderbolt 1000B Full unit, a fully restored Model 5B, A Full Model 2 Unit, a Model A, a crank siren, and several mini sirens! :TBolt:

connerdstines

Re: Phase Convertor

Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:04 am

NKTBOLT wrote:Hey ARS, so Im most likeyl getting an ACA banshee over the weekend, in AMAZING condition, but the only problem, its 3 phase. So, does anyone know or have a phase converter that i could buy for cheap, or someone selling one for cheap. Thanks, Nick
Horsepower on the motor? I would be careful and make sure you're not overdrawing your house's supply, those motor are hungry beasts, especially the 15 hp ones.
Down to a Thunderbolt chopper, still a few goofy flashlight-siren combos, and a Model L.

GabrielFairchild

Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:04 pm

I use the Temco static phase converters they work well on my model 5at.
Proud owner of a fully restored Federal Signal Model 5AT, Federal Signal Model D, and a bunch of small alarms and sirens.

GreenblottF
YouTube Username: TheGameShack

Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:46 pm

NKTBOLT wrote:Hey ARS, so Im most likeyl getting an ACA banshee over the weekend, in AMAZING condition, but the only problem, its 3 phase. So, does anyone know or have a phase converter that i could buy for cheap, or someone selling one for cheap. Thanks, Nick
Your best bet will be with a static phase converter. Most banshees are 15Hp, so make sure to get a 15hp phase converter. Also, make sure it can handle the amp draw, otherwise it will fry the phase converter AND your fuse box.

Good luck! :)

GreenblottF
Now a proud owner of a Federal Electric Model 66! :)

Check out my YouTube Channel! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCcVrvMjO7o-ByaEq9IkBpuw

GabrielFairchild

Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:46 pm

Static phase converters are also alot cheaper.
Proud owner of a fully restored Federal Signal Model 5AT, Federal Signal Model D, and a bunch of small alarms and sirens.

Wdr

Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:11 am

Just a note, be careful with static converters. They don't actually convert anything. They essentially are just a start circuit. They will start and run a three phase motor fine but only at about 2/3 it's rated HP. So keep runs short and make shure your motor does not overheat. Also, I would not expect the start capacitors in the unit to last as long as usual due to the lengthy wind up inherent in sirens.

CDV777-1
YouTube Username: vanamonde2

Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:26 am

Just a note, be careful with static converters. They don't actually convert anything. They essentially are just a start circuit. They will start and run a three phase motor fine but only at about 2/3 it's rated HP
I always wondered if it's even 2/3 of rated HP since, like you said, it only starts the motor. Once running, the motor only runs on 2 of it's 3 sets of windings.
Proud owner of a garage full of junk.

QuantumCurse
YouTube Username: Owen Yokley

Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:39 pm

I'm pretty sure static phase converters aren't the way to go. As mentioned above they intend up running on 2 of the 3 legs of power. A rotorary phase converter will probably be a safer bet but it will cost a lot more. Correct me if I'm wrong but it also requires the extra 2/3 of the original HP to power one. American Rotorary has a nice chart on their site that helps. Hope this helps.
Proudly own a Edwards Model E, a Federal Enterprises Model 2, and a semi butched Thunderbolt 1003A converted to "B". Possibly a 3T22 soon.
From the state that was first in flight and last to fight

Wdr

Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:42 pm

It's actually not that difficult to build a rotary converter from scratch. Second to that I would say the cheapest option that would work ok and require minimal effort would be to buy a rotary panel and find a used three phase motor for the idler. It would not produce ideal three phase, but much better than a static and cheaper than a comercial rotary.

Trey
YouTube Username: SD10s4ever

Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:36 am

You're pretty much gonna have to have a dedicated service from the utility for an ACA siren. They pull so much current that you'd pop all breakers in your house (assuming this is where you're intending to to this). Those capacitor start motors are current hungry and one cannot simply use standard household current to start one as with the older Federal sirens. As for the static converter, I've always heard static is not the way to go for something that draws a heavy current. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”