SirokatM1
YouTube Username: Sirokat

Netherlands Modulator 2008s Are Knockoffs

Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:16 am

So just tonight I was talking to my friends on a discord server when this image showed up.
IMG_1541.JPG
IMG_1541.JPG (370.43 KiB) Viewed 3915 times
This is way too huge to be a real Modulator. There is a clear Siemens logo on one of the cells. The mounting bracket is round instead of square like Federals mounting brackets. This is clearly another Lion King copycat situation.In every video of the Netherlands modulators i found, they had round mounting brackets. Due to the size I do believe that it must at least have 200 watt drivers at the very least. Other than that, I found this to be a very intriguing little thing.(If you want to call it that lol)
17 year old enthusiast from Columbus, Ohio
Proud owner of:
- Federal Enterprises Model 2
- Federal Electric Model 2 (damaged)
- Federal Electric Type A
- H.O.R. Si-Rex S1
- Federal Electric Model A-5

FSThunderboltfan1000
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: FSThunderboltfan1000

Re: Netherlands Modulator 2008s Are Knockoffs

Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:13 am

No, that is not a knock off Modulators are really that large. The older style modulator 2008 like that one is 63". It does not help that she is also standing behind the unit. The new B series Modulators are quite a bit smaller. The 2008B is only 43", 20" shorter.
Proud owner of rcm1, model 2,2T,Model A, Thunderbolt 1003, AF timer, FS SS1000, 500SHST
Wisconsin siren services
https://www.swssirens.com

Synther
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: UtahSirens

Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:22 am

Yeah i'm pretty sure that's just a genuine Modulator with a Siemens sticker slapped on it. Here's a pic of a Modulator in the states, and it's the same size.

State of Utah siren map - My channel
STH-10, SD-10, 2 Model 2s

archizackture
YouTube Username: Shako_Lamb

Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:05 am

Regarding the Siemens sticker, I'm guessing it's a similar situation to Sentry's VR speakers coming from an outside manufacturer, or to go back further, Darley using Federal Signal and Sterling parts.

I highly doubt an obvious knockoff would come from the Netherlands. The reason why knockoff companies such as Lion King come from China is because China lacks in patent (and copyright) enforcement, so there's no legal recourse for slashing the design and engineering costs from the budget and "cheating on the test" so to speak. Patent violations would not stand in the Netherlands, and the fact that Siemens is a major international brand makes that even more unlikely.
Architecture preservationist. I enjoy obscure history and mapping things, and grew up around sirens. Not planning to own one.
West Virginia State-wide & Western Maryland Siren Map

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: 301.3 Productions
Discord: nottimwakefield

Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:08 pm

archizackture wrote:
Regarding the Siemens sticker, I'm guessing it's a similar situation to Sentry's VR speakers coming from an outside manufacturer, or to go back further, Darley using Federal Signal and Sterling parts.
That's what I was thinking too. We were having a conversation on it in Discord last night and I stated that a few times. Seems like the most likely case to me.
-Nik VW
3.6 roentgen - Not Great, not terrible.

Raggin
New User

Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:27 pm

Which Discord channel are you talking about, Nvanw27?

SirokatM1
YouTube Username: Sirokat

Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:19 pm

nvanw27 wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:08 pm
archizackture wrote:
That's what I was thinking too. We were having a conversation on it in Discord last night and I stated that a few times. Seems like the most likely case to me.
Well here's the big thing that I noticed recently. It's huge. I've seen videos of people walking around West Shore Services in Michigan and a 2008 is nowhere near the size that it is in that picture. That's why I assumed that it had to have something more than just 100 watt drivers in them. Other than that it's a pretty confusing topic really.
17 year old enthusiast from Columbus, Ohio
Proud owner of:
- Federal Enterprises Model 2
- Federal Electric Model 2 (damaged)
- Federal Electric Type A
- H.O.R. Si-Rex S1
- Federal Electric Model A-5

Synther
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:35 pm

Look at the photo I uploaded, it's the same size.

Tyler
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: Thunderbolt10031

Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:45 am

Those units in the Netherlands are not Federal products at all. The base of the unit is a dead give away. Federal doesn't make the bases like that on the Modulator, because it doesn't work with the brackets they use for mounting the sirens to poles.

As for the size. It's the same size as the Modulator 1. The Mod 1 is 3.7' in diameter. They are massive.
My knowledge excels on the Federal Thunderbolt siren and SiraTone EOWS sirens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Proud owner of
2014 Federal UltraVoice UVICU
1981 SiraTone C/B prototype
1984 SiraTone C/B

Synther
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:58 am

Tyler wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:45 am
Those units in the Netherlands are not Federal products at all. The base of the unit is a dead give away. Federal doesn't make the bases like that on the Modulator, because it doesn't work with the brackets they use for mounting the sirens to poles.

As for the size. It's the same size as the Modulator 1. The Mod 1 is 3.7' in diameter. They are massive.
You shouldn't make assumptions like that, especially because Federal hasn't even commented on the matter.

Here is a photo I found from a dutch article discussing the siren test. You can see Federal stickers.

I will admit that there is a possibility that they aren't Federal, because the cabinets on them do not look Federal at all. However, there is a possibility that Federal made them specifically for the Netherlands. It would make sense considering that the tones they use are way different from any of the stock Federal tones.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”