HazzaCyclone710
YouTube Username: HazzaCyclone518

Re: UK Siren Map

Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:12 pm

Eclipse DDS wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:53 pm
BIG NEWS!

The Carlise, Cumbria Klaxon is ACTIVE!
I was talking to a friend who works near the siren, and he said that he used to hear it sound once every six months.
However, since the Ukraine War began it has started sounding once every two months!
I will try to gather more information on this, but this is what I know so far. This is very exciting!
I hope this siren inspires the government to install outdoor warning sirens. The phone alert system was kind of a bust. In fact, Estonia is installing sirens right now!
-Seen a Carter 1N WW2 siren, a Whelen WPS-2903, and has heard Modulators and DSA's playing Evening Colours.
-Currently looking for undiscovered sirens in the UK.
-Also making a fantasy siren map for the UK aswell.

al66class59

YouTube Username: al66class59

Sun May 07, 2023 9:12 pm

Just remembered I have this account, so I've got some things to add...

At least two electronic sirens at BOC Gases in Immingham - think they are Klaxon ES but can't be sure, I don't know enough about these electronic things...
53.606310, -0.158250 - six-horned bi-directional. Not visible on Street View
53.605731, -0.157643 - two-horned bi-directional. Is visible on Street View

Am having a look through my other photos from that day to see what else I can spot (there was a railtour round some lesser-used rail lines in the Immingham area, which I was on) but I suspect the others in the area are now mapped.
UK-based siren enthusiast, and the proud owner of a Cold War-era Carter, Secomak GP1, CS2 and GP6, Gent Model 1500, and a Klaxon SS6!

No, the Klaxon SS6 is not a Sentry 95...

al66class59

Wed May 10, 2023 9:59 pm

Brendan W wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:30 pm
Update on a London siren. The whatever it is on the roof of Vanguard Self Storage is still there as of May 2022. The Hawker Hunter jet fighter that was on the roof was moved inside after being taken down, and I wanted to see if the siren was still up. To my surprise, it is! See the upper right section of this image:

Can confirm this is a Secomak GP8; I went to this location a number of years ago (along with Lewisham and Queensway for their Carters) and it's got Secomak lettered end plates on.
GP8 Perivale.jpg
GP8 Perivale.jpg (385.02 KiB) Viewed 203298 times
Looks to be an earlier one, with the junction box being of that angled-seal design often seen on Cold War-era Carters, but still having the classic Secomak base. Missing its junction box cover, however, so not clear if it would now work!
UK-based siren enthusiast, and the proud owner of a Cold War-era Carter, Secomak GP1, CS2 and GP6, Gent Model 1500, and a Klaxon SS6!

Digisirran

Sat May 13, 2023 7:35 pm

al66class59 wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 9:12 pm
Just remembered I have this account, so I've got some things to add...

At least two electronic sirens at BOC Gases in Immingham - think they are Klaxon ES but can't be sure, I don't know enough about these electronic things...
53.606310, -0.158250 - six-horned bi-directional. Not visible on Street View
53.605731, -0.157643 - two-horned bi-directional. Is visible on Street View

Am having a look through my other photos from that day to see what else I can spot (there was a railtour round some lesser-used rail lines in the Immingham area, which I was on) but I suspect the others in the area are now mapped.
I think it's visible from Streetview after fooling around on the roads. Clearest shot manageable:
six_horn_BOC.PNG

al66class59

Sun May 21, 2023 9:41 pm

Digisirran wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 7:35 pm
I think it's visible from Streetview after fooling around on the roads. Clearest shot manageable:
six_horn_BOC.PNG
Well spotted - not sure how I missed that. I suspect it's just those two on site, looking at my photos from the day. Will stick a photo of each in a reply...

Csabi11
YouTube Username: Pöcegödör Szarfaszú

Mon May 22, 2023 6:01 pm

53.348842,-2.977422
Removed (blue?) Klaxon CS8.
You can find my siren maps, pictures at this website: https://szarfaszu-pocegodor.webnode.hu/
Owner of: EK I 6 Port 220V Air Raid Siren, 4 Port Small Car Alarm Siren 24V, Police Siren with different Tones 12V

al66class59

Tue May 23, 2023 9:29 pm

54.985158, -3.169691
Looks like a Castle Castings. Next to a mini air raid shelter at the Devil's Porridge Museum.
Eastriggs Castle Castings.jpg
Eastriggs Castle Castings.jpg (568.68 KiB) Viewed 203199 times
Went for the fireless steam locomotive at one end of the building, stayed for the siren at the other!

Edited to add:
A couple of oversights...
51.466155, 0.269190 - it transpires there's a second GP8 on site at Navigator in Essex. This one is round the back of the site.
al66class59 wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 9:41 pm
I suspect it's just those two on site, looking at my photos from the day.
53.606391, -0.158066 - it also transpires I am completely and utterly blind, and there is quite clearly a GP8 next to the larger electronic siren.
Larger BOC Electronic.jpg
Larger BOC Electronic.jpg (257.46 KiB) Viewed 203199 times
BOC dual tone.jpg
BOC dual tone.jpg (40.53 KiB) Viewed 203199 times
And the smaller electronic:
Smaller BOC electronic.jpg
Smaller BOC electronic.jpg (147.17 KiB) Viewed 203198 times
I am now sure that well and truly is the lot for BOC Stallingborough!

Eclipse DDS
YouTube Username: Civil Defence Fox

Thu May 25, 2023 6:28 am

al66class59 wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 9:29 pm
54.985158, -3.169691
Looks like a Castle Castings. Next to a mini air raid shelter at the Devil's Porridge Museum.
Eastriggs Castle Castings.jpg
Went for the fireless steam locomotive at one end of the building, stayed for the siren at the other!
Wow, that is pretty cool! We’ve driven past that museum a couple of times, saying ‘we should visit that place some day’. Definitely going at some point to see this siren!
Although it does have some similar features to a Castle Castings siren, due to the overall look of the siren I’d say that it is a Secomak of some kind (I can’t remember the exact model). I say this because the base of the siren is not curved like a Castle Castings, but rather more angular, like a Secomak. The wire junction boxes also seem to be situated at an angle to each other, similarly to a Secomak. The only thing that may be confusing is the lack of the word ‘Secomak’ on the heater, however if it is a Secomak I’d probably go with the theory that they had to replace the heater and didn’t bother adding the wording onto the new component.

I’m not too educated on Secomak sirens so I may be slightly incorrect, but hopefully this helps.
A British siren enthusiast. Previously lived at the furthest point from any sirens before co-discovering one very close to where he is located. Also features a great discomfort referring to themselves in third-person.

al66class59

Fri May 26, 2023 11:32 pm

Eclipse DDS wrote:
Although it does have some similar features to a Castle Castings siren, due to the overall look of the siren I’d say that it is a Secomak of some kind (I can’t remember the exact model).
I'm 99% sure it's not a Secomak as it doesn't have chamfered (angled) stator holes, which Secomaks almost universally do. This narrows it down to CC or Carter, as it quite clearly isn't a Gent :lol:
Eclipse DDS wrote:
I say this because the base of the siren is not curved like a Castle Castings, but rather more angular, like a Secomak. The wire junction boxes also seem to be situated at an angle to each other, similarly to a Secomak.
Earlier Castles also had squared bases. Could be a Carter, but pretty sure they always had centralised motor junction boxes, which this one doesn't. That said, there aren't many Carters left to use as a reference, so don't quote me on that.

The thing that makes me doubt myself is that it doesn't have the stereotypical "giant" rotor bolts that CCs often do, instead having the flatter bolts as you'd see on Carters. Heater junction boxes are only angled/pointing upwards because the museum/whoever restored the siren refitted them at a funky angle!
Eclipse DDS wrote:
The wire junction boxes also seem to be situated at an angle to each other, similarly to a Secomak. The only thing that may be confusing is the lack of the word ‘Secomak’ on the heater, however if it is a Secomak I’d probably go with the theory that they had to replace the heater and didn’t bother adding the wording onto the new component.
FYI, the Secomak-lettered "heaters" you refer to were just end plates - to protect the rotor sides - and didn't have heating capabilities. Heaters typically didn't have letters on, no matter what they were attached to, as they were (to my knowledge) a standardised component that could fit numerous models of siren.

So it's either a Carter with a very late-production motor, or a CC with different rotor bolts. I could go and forensically analyse the rotor vanes for further clues, but a lack of reference photos may hamper that!

Eclipse DDS
YouTube Username: Civil Defence Fox

Sat May 27, 2023 6:48 am

al66class59 wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 11:32 pm
Eclipse DDS wrote:
Although it does have some similar features to a Castle Castings siren, due to the overall look of the siren I’d say that it is a Secomak of some kind (I can’t remember the exact model).
I'm 99% sure it's not a Secomak as it doesn't have chamfered (angled) stator holes, which Secomaks almost universally do. This narrows it down to CC or Carter, as it quite clearly isn't a Gent :lol:
Eclipse DDS wrote:
I say this because the base of the siren is not curved like a Castle Castings, but rather more angular, like a Secomak. The wire junction boxes also seem to be situated at an angle to each other, similarly to a Secomak.
Earlier Castles also had squared bases. Could be a Carter, but pretty sure they always had centralised motor junction boxes, which this one doesn't. That said, there aren't many Carters left to use as a reference, so don't quote me on that.

The thing that makes me doubt myself is that it doesn't have the stereotypical "giant" rotor bolts that CCs often do, instead having the flatter bolts as you'd see on Carters. Heater junction boxes are only angled/pointing upwards because the museum/whoever restored the siren refitted them at a funky angle!
Eclipse DDS wrote:
The wire junction boxes also seem to be situated at an angle to each other, similarly to a Secomak. The only thing that may be confusing is the lack of the word ‘Secomak’ on the heater, however if it is a Secomak I’d probably go with the theory that they had to replace the heater and didn’t bother adding the wording onto the new component.
FYI, the Secomak-lettered "heaters" you refer to were just end plates - to protect the rotor sides - and didn't have heating capabilities. Heaters typically didn't have letters on, no matter what they were attached to, as they were (to my knowledge) a standardised component that could fit numerous models of siren.

So it's either a Carter with a very late-production motor, or a CC with different rotor bolts. I could go and forensically analyse the rotor vanes for further clues, but a lack of reference photos may hamper that!
Ah, thanks for the information. I’m not too familiar with British sirens because as you said, there isn’t too much documentation on them. This actually cleared up a lot of incorrect information in my head, so thanks for that :D
A British siren enthusiast. Previously lived at the furthest point from any sirens before co-discovering one very close to where he is located. Also features a great discomfort referring to themselves in third-person.

Return to “Siren Maps”