The Siren Board

Discussion of Outdoor Warning Systems
It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:36 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: HOR Model 50
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:19 pm 
Offline
Registered User
Registered User
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:46 am
Posts: 253
Real Name: Kurt
YouTube Username: firefreak57
Location: Greene County, Ohio
4J25 wrote: *
I'm still not sure where everyone is getting the "No. 15" nomenclature. I have yet to see it in documentation or on a siren itself.
4J25 wrote: *
I'm still not sure where everyone is getting the "No. 15" nomenclature. I have yet to see it in documentation or on a siren itself.
I’m not sure either, I do know HOR had odd model numbers and names that did not match up with what they were calling them (this one being a “Model 50” but it was called Super Si-Rex in advertisements...

I did some research last night and found that Ohio had about 5 or 6 single headed Sirex’s at one time, Lake County had three according to a CD matching funds document, and the only others I know off the top of my head are this one, and the one in North Canton (which was purchased in 1951). I believe the one in Hamilton went up around 1954 if I remember right. I’m not sure if all the single headed units were dual toned or not but I know this one and the one in North Canton both were based on pictures of the North Canton one which were in local news articles and comparing those photos with this unit.

The towers they were mounted on for roof mounting had to be constructed by whoever was installing them. North Canton’s in particular did not go up for three years after they got that siren because they did not have the necessary equipment to construct the tower and platform required for roof mounting.

_________________
firefreak57, Fire Alarm and Siren Enthusiast. 18, and now living in SW Ohio.
Proud owner of an ACA Allertor 125 Single Phase Control Cabinet.
My YouTube Channel | Summit County Siren Map | Cuyahoga County Siren Map


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: HOR Model 50
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:42 am 
Offline
Registered User
Registered User
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:46 pm
Posts: 475
Real Name: Sam
YouTube Username: Snowcube
Discord: Snowcube
Location: Columbia Heights, MN
fire_freak_57 wrote: *
(removed wall of text)
There was another inactive single head Super Sirex located in North Canton, OH that was removed in 2016. It was on top of a building like the one in Hamilton. It's hard to tell from the picture but this one appeared to be single tone.
https://flic.kr/p/e3Viiq

Also, the one in Adrian MO is actually 10/10 port like the one shown in this thread. The sirens in Madison WI and Toledo OH are 9/9 models.

_________________
Proud owner of a 3D printer (and many sirens made with said printer).


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: HOR Model 50
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:19 pm 
Offline
Registered User
Registered User

Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:55 am
Posts: 609
Real Name: Nik
YouTube Username: NASirenProductions
Discord: Nik
Location: Here & There & Everywhere
These things have shown up having very odd port ratios. It wouldn't surprise me if there's a 7/10 Port Dual-Headed model out there somewhere.

_________________
At first I was uncertain... Now i'm just not sure.
Proud owner of a PA speaker and 18 2-way radios.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: HOR Model 50
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:17 pm 
Offline
Registered User
Registered User
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:50 am
Posts: 1342
Real Name: Dennis Seldon
YouTube Username: DJ2226
Location: Columbus, Georgia
Zarlog wrote: *
fire_freak_57 wrote: *
(removed wall of text)
There was another inactive single head Super Sirex located in North Canton, OH that was removed in 2016. It was on top of a building like the one in Hamilton. It's hard to tell from the picture but this one appeared to be single tone.
https://flic.kr/p/e3Viiq

Also, the one in Adrian MO is actually 10/10 port like the one shown in this thread. The sirens in Madison WI and Toledo OH are 9/9 models.
The ones in Toledo and Holyoke also have rotators, but they've either been shut off or died. From what I can tell the 9 port ones are 50 HP sirens, where as the 10 port ones are 40 HP. If you compare the two the 9 port ones look a little bigger, at least to me anyway. The one in Dane County, WI was confirmed to have an actual 50 HP motor and was installed without the rotator.

_________________
Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: HOR Model 50
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:41 pm 
Offline
 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:31 pm
Posts: 32
Real Name: Bill
Harry O. Ricci, an Italian immigrant who was not well educated but yet considered a genius, had his original shop in new York, made first police and emergency sirens, then entered air raid type during wartime. he later retired to AZ where he was asked to redo sirens on east coast by a civil defense commander so he went back into business. He made the first electric air raid siren and they were the first to be activated by phone. This according to his son Len.

_________________
Owner of:
Federal Signal Type 2,
FS model A,
Small 110v military demo siren,

and a Harry O. Ricci Model 50 Super Si-Rex 10/10 port Dual Horn. :roll:


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: HOR Model 50
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:05 pm 
Offline
Registered User
Registered User
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:46 pm
Posts: 475
Real Name: Sam
YouTube Username: Snowcube
Discord: Snowcube
Location: Columbia Heights, MN
Phone Goat wrote: *
These things have shown up having very odd port ratios. It wouldn't surprise me if there's a 7/10 Port Dual-Headed model out there somewhere.
There were 7/10 port dual head Super Sirex models. There is (was?) a video taken at an auction in Phoenix AZ up on youtube. I don't know where it is but there was a dual head sirex that looked like it was 7/10 port. In addition to that, I have heard that there were also 8/8 port single tone Super Sirex's and maybe 12/12 models too. Here's a picture of one on a dam somewhere in California that almost appears to be 7/12 or 8/12 port.
[ img ]
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM45 ... _Dam_Siren
I have no idea if it's still there since the streetview was last updated in Dec 2007. Someone who lives near it should definitely go check it out though.
DJ2226 wrote: *
Zarlog wrote: *
fire_freak_57 wrote: *
(removed wall of text)
There was another inactive single head Super Sirex located in North Canton, OH that was removed in 2016. It was on top of a building like the one in Hamilton. It's hard to tell from the picture but this one appeared to be single tone.
https://flic.kr/p/e3Viiq

Also, the one in Adrian MO is actually 10/10 port like the one shown in this thread. The sirens in Madison WI and Toledo OH are 9/9 models.
The ones in Toledo and Holyoke also have rotators, but they've either been shut off or died. From what I can tell the 9 port ones are 50 HP sirens, where as the 10 port ones are 40 HP. If you compare the two the 9 port ones look a little bigger, at least to me anyway. The one in Dane County, WI was confirmed to have an actual 50 HP motor and was installed without the rotator.
I just looked at pictures of both and yeah you seem to be right. I had no idea there were that many variations.

_________________
Proud owner of a 3D printer (and many sirens made with said printer).


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: HOR Model 50
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:39 am 
Offline
Registered User
Registered User
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:46 am
Posts: 253
Real Name: Kurt
YouTube Username: firefreak57
Location: Greene County, Ohio
Zarlog wrote: *
fire_freak_57 wrote: *
(removed wall of text)
There was another inactive single head Super Sirex located in North Canton, OH that was removed in 2016. It was on top of a building like the one in Hamilton. It's hard to tell from the picture but this one appeared to be single tone.
https://flic.kr/p/e3Viiq

Also, the one in Adrian MO is actually 10/10 port like the one shown in this thread. The sirens in Madison WI and Toledo OH are 9/9 models.
I mentioned the North Canton one, I used to live near it. And according to the information I found in North Canton's newspaper, it was likely dual toned as it mentioned it was in use for "Civil Defense purposes." I do have newspaper archives saved to my computer about North Canton's Sirex... could have been single toned though, I wouldn't rule it out. It's very possible, considering HOR did make a dual tone double headed Sirex.

_________________
firefreak57, Fire Alarm and Siren Enthusiast. 18, and now living in SW Ohio.
Proud owner of an ACA Allertor 125 Single Phase Control Cabinet.
My YouTube Channel | Summit County Siren Map | Cuyahoga County Siren Map


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: HOR Model 50
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:09 pm 
Offline
Registered User
Registered User
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:46 pm
Posts: 475
Real Name: Sam
YouTube Username: Snowcube
Discord: Snowcube
Location: Columbia Heights, MN
fire_freak_57 wrote: *

I mentioned the North Canton one, I used to live near it. And according to the information I found in North Canton's newspaper, it was likely dual toned as it mentioned it was in use for "Civil Defense purposes." I do have newspaper archives saved to my computer about North Canton's Sirex... could have been single toned though, I wouldn't rule it out. It's very possible, considering HOR did make a dual tone double headed Sirex.
Oops, didn't see that. Anyways, here's a picture of a single tone model that was apparently in Des Moines, IA. It was removed because it wasn't as effective as the Thunderbolt they tested.
[ img ]
(this was found in the discord server).

_________________
Proud owner of a 3D printer (and many sirens made with said printer).


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: HOR Model 50
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:07 pm 
Offline
 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:31 pm
Posts: 32
Real Name: Bill
Alot of great history knowledge being passed here, did not expect such a great response. I have learned alot thanks to you all.

_________________
Owner of:
Federal Signal Type 2,
FS model A,
Small 110v military demo siren,

and a Harry O. Ricci Model 50 Super Si-Rex 10/10 port Dual Horn. :roll:


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: HOR Model 50
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:51 pm 
Offline
 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:31 pm
Posts: 32
Real Name: Bill
First look inside the rotator base. Darn clean in there.
[ attachment ]
IMG_20190818_155000.jpg [ 148.94 KiB | Viewed 40 times ]

_________________
Owner of:
Federal Signal Type 2,
FS model A,
Small 110v military demo siren,

and a Harry O. Ricci Model 50 Super Si-Rex 10/10 port Dual Horn. :roll:


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 21 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: 

cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited