Manitoba

YouTube Username: Jakob Hill

Another Rare Canadian T-bolt

Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:02 am

It feels as though it's been ages since I posted here last, but it seems my perennial interest in things that make loud noises has returned.

Anyways, up until now it seems the only Thunderbolts known to exist in Canada were the 1003s at the Suncor refinery in Sarnia, and the one in Stettler, Alberta (which, unfortunately, appears to have been removed). However, I was doing some research for a mapping project I'm working on, and I stumbled across a working Thunderbolt 1003 in the small town of Wakaw, Saskatchewan.

WakawTbolt2.png
WakawTbolt2.png (487.86 KiB) Viewed 2391 times

The siren is mounted behind the fire hall on 118 Main Street. It appears to have "WFD" written on the side of the projector horn in red.

Unfortunately, it appears that this siren does not sound in hi-lo or pulse. According to a news release from the town's website:

"Emergency personnel will set off and continuously run the Siren in the case of an EMO Situation in order to alert the general public to an impending emergency situation. Examples of EMO events include Severe & Dangerous Weather, Mass Casualty Situations, Public Threat, Evacuation Orders, etc."

I'm assuming they're referring to a steady/Alert signal? It's also used as a backup call signal for the volunteer firefighters:

"...If, for any reason, not enough volunteers respond initially [to pagers] the siren will run one round at a time to call for more volunteers. It will repeat until enough volunteers have responded to the call."

By "one round at a time", I'm thinking they're referring to a growl or short Alert function.

Although I'm obviously happy to see another working Thunderbolt in Canada, I'm a bit confused as to why a town the size of Wakaw would go with a siren as powerful as the T-bolt, considering that most towns of similar size would use a Model 2 or 5, or the Sterling/Darley equivalents. Perhaps they were trying to give coverage to surrounding farms?

CanadianTbolt1003
YouTube Username: Sirens & Thunderbolts 1003

Re: Another Rare Canadian T-bolt

Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:10 am

I did email awhile back asking them if they could get a video for me when they test it but I haven't got a video from the FD yet.

- Sirens & Thunderbolts 1003
Proud owner of:
• Federal Sign & Signal STH-10
• Non-working Federal Enterprises Model 2
• Sterling 2v8
• '86 Federal Signal Canadian Model 2-3Z
• Federal Sign & Signal Model D

Jared H
YouTube Username: The Siren Seekers
Discord: shodowhater#1003

Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:06 pm

Ah yes, Wakaw. Just about flipped my lid when this was discovered last year.

"I'm a bit confused as to why a town the size of Wakaw would go with a siren as powerful as the T-bolt", you say? I believe I can answer that in three words - it was cheap.
See, it isn't original to Wakaw. In fact, it's ex-CFS Dana Radar Base, likely purchased by or donated to the city around 1987, and probably purchased new in 1962, when the base opened... which means it's probably a 5M.
Hope this helps!
Attachments
Screenshot_45.png
Screenshot_45.png (63.73 KiB) Viewed 2329 times
------------------------------
Apparently the chat room is haunted... -VASirens 2015
Friendly Neighborhood Thunderboltologist, if such a thing exists.

Purring Cat
YouTube Username: Purring Cat

Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:06 pm

Initially, I thought the Only Thunderbolts in Canada were in Sarnia at the refinery plant. This is quite Intresting.

Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:51 pm

Stettler appears to still be there as best as any of us can tell. Where did you get the idea it was removed?
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”