Doghouse!
New User

Model five help/questions

Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:08 pm

I'm new to the siren board I have a vintage federal signal model 5 motor Don't know how to get the wood Duff key out so I can take the chopper out and sandblast it. Does anybody have any ideas to get it out?

pyramid head

Re: Model five help/questions

Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:11 am

Hit it with penetrating oil, let it soak in for a day. Is there holes in the top of the rotor to screw in a harmonic balancer puller? If it doesn't come off easily try using heat, but don't go crazy with it. I have pulled keys out using a pry bar and chisels with a hammer...gently.
Pyramid head walks into a bar... there are no survivors.

OHIO Desperado

Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:56 am

You do NOT need to remove the key to remove the chopper. The chopper should slide off the shaft with the key in place. I believe there are threaded holes in the chopper to pull it off. You should take a thick piece of metal and drill three holes in it. One in the middle over the shaft and one over each of the threaded holes. The middle hole will need to be threaded for a bolt.

Using two bolts fasten the plate to the chopper via the threaded holes and then thread a bolt into the center hole and tighten it down until it's reasonably tight. That will put a pull on the chopper since the center bolt is sitting on the end of the motor shaft. Once that center bolt is tight, let it sit for a day. The next day see if you can tighten the center blot any more. If you can retighten it and let it set. This can be a slow process and take several days but SHOULD get the chopper off without damaging it. DO NOT PRY on the chopper around the outside edge. This WILL break the chopper and ruin it.

HDN
YouTube Username: NotSureHowLoudThisCanGet

Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:06 am

My 1950s Model 5 doesn't have set screws securing the chopper to the motor shaft. The shaft key doesn't seem to be removable either, though it's been a bit since I've looked at it closely. I think the chopper on my unit might've been shrunk onto the shaft after being heated.
~1950 Federal Enterprises Model 5 - 12-port
1995 AM General M35A3

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”