SpeakerOnAStick
New User
YouTube Username: SETX Siren Spotter

First Ever Real Life Recordings of Whelen's Non-Analog Continuous Air Horn and Gas Proof Protection Tones?

Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:36 pm

I recorded two Whelens in Corpus Christi, TX a few days ago, and one did Continuous Air Horn, and the other did Gas Proof Protection. From what I've seen, these could be the first ever recordings of these two tones on YouTube. If I'm wrong, please let me know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOy_PJmPfCg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa8hravT3HY
Last edited by SpeakerOnAStick on Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyler
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: Thunderbolt10031

Re: First Ever Real Life Recordings of Whelen's Continuous Air Horn and Gas Proof Protection Tones?

Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:06 am

That first video isn't actually a Whelen controller. That's an audio file being broadcast through what I suspect is a Federal UV controller.
My knowledge excels on the Federal Thunderbolt siren and SiraTone EOWS sirens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Proud owner of
2014 Federal UltraVoice UVICU
1981 SiraTone C/B prototype
1984 SiraTone C/B

HudsonRiverSirens
YouTube Username: HudsonRiverSirens
Discord: gls5768

Re: First Ever Real Life Recordings of Whelen's Continuous Air Horn and Gas Proof Protection Tones?

Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:22 pm

I'm not sure if this is 100% true but I've heard from a few people that Whelen airhorn is pulsed because of the load it produces on the drivers. Since it is essentially a very fast hi-lo tone, it creates a strain on the drivers which will eventually result in them smoking and dying.
Sirens may not be sexy, but they sure work.

Model L
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: Egress
Discord: Egress.

Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:14 pm

Funnily enough Pre-864 controllers have full on continuous air horn, not pulsed. I've heard the rumor about it killing drivers too, not certain how much truth there is to it however, other members might be able to chime in with better info on that.

as for the siren in the video, that does sound like a looped audio file, you can hear a slight stutter every once in a while, almost like the file being played isn't quite looped right.
Resident of Beaverton, Oregon
Proud owner of 2 Model L's and a 1984 WS-3000 serial # 717
19 years old
want to chat? send me a request on discord: Egress.#7444 or DM me

HudsonRiverSirens
YouTube Username: HudsonRiverSirens
Discord: gls5768

Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:43 pm

Model L wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:14 pm
Funnily enough Pre-864 controllers have full on continuous air horn, not pulsed. I've heard the rumor about it killing drivers too, not certain how much truth there is to it however, other members might be able to chime in with better info on that.

as for the siren in the video, that does sound like a looped audio file, you can hear a slight stutter every once in a while, almost like the file being played isn't quite looped right.
I think it was also mentioned that these are on UV controllers, it is likely a looped audio file as you said, similar to Crowley TX and their air horn mods

Edit: This isn't the very first recording of gas proof protection, there was a video around here somewhere of a malfunction Whelen sounding it. Its probably gone, but congrats on being the second to record it!
Sirens may not be sexy, but they sure work.

Return to “Videos and Media”