NotVoyager

Re: Australian Sirens Discussion V2

Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:06 am

Australia’s sirens.

The amount of sirens in Australia is quite limited since the Cold War and WW2. However some survive and some still run and remind us of the bone-chilling sound of war. Here is a list of sirens found in Australia-

Klaxon SS6 - one model has been found atop a fire station. The SS6 is a small, 95 decibel air raid siren which was used for small local areas and buildings. It was originally part of a deal made by ACA and Klaxon to ship SS6s into America, in return of shipping sirens like Cyclones and Screamers into Australia. The SS6 has the bare bones of what a siren can do, and can produce 2 signals, although more can be produced with special modification. This siren is no longer produced anymore and is incredibly rare!

Darley Champions - There are a multitude of Champions across America and Australia. They were used as early air raid sirens and sometimes flood sirens in Australia. Champions are another basic Carter - similar siren, although many other models have been found that differ from it with either modification or special models eg. Darley Champion Model 5. (Excludes the Darley 3V8 Set) and consisted of two motors and stators on parallel sides,
Similar to British or German sirens eg. (Carter - UK / Elektror - Germany) .

A recent post here suggests there are no Federal Signal Sirens in Australia, but that in fact is untrue.

There are a few Fedelcode sirens in Australia, believe it or not. Fedelcode sirens had a number of conical skirts connected to a shroud, which inside contains the motor, stator and the damper (if damper was installed, which not many have) and they are one of the more famous sirens on here.
They were indeed produced by Federal Electric, and there is evidence of a Model 2 in Australia.

We also had a “Mystery Siren” it was discovered on here, but it was a Cold War siren, with a large conical horn that rotated, or an omnidirectional tri-horned model. We did discover it but I do not know the name. Here is a link to it: https://www.airraidsirens.net/forums/vi ... hp?t=27497

Here is all the information I found. I know it’s a long piece but I did find it all.
(Replaced temporarily)

Kasey
YouTube Username: Kasey
Discord: Kasey#9793

Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:44 pm

SirensOfAustralia wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:46 am
Kasey wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:04 pm
Does Australia have any Mods? I could use locations for a map and I'm also curious.

We don't have any single federal signal siren in Australia...
Intresting.
I have a thing for objects that light up or make noise.

gabrielmiauw1

Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:34 am

Kasey wrote:
Does Australia have any Mods? I could use locations for a map and I'm also curious.
Hello, I am an Australian siren enthusiast. Currently, we do not have Modulators in Australia. However, we do have Federal signal models 2 and 5 (only one unit per model in Australia). But mostly, we have a mix of German sirens, Australian sirens, and British sirens. However, we are still finding more sirens that are not German, British, or American sirens.

A HHCD manager and a Australian siren enthusiast.

The avatar from my account as what you see is a Elektror S3A in Grafton, VIC, Australia.

Kasey
YouTube Username: Kasey
Discord: Kasey#9793

Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:03 pm

gabrielmiauw1 wrote:
Kasey wrote:
Hello, I am an Australian siren enthusiast. Currently, we do not have Modulators in Australia. However, we do have Federal signal models 2 and 5 (only one unit per model in Australia). But mostly, we have a mix of German sirens, Australian sirens, and British sirens. However, we are still finding more sirens that are not German, British, or American sirens.
Ah.
I have a thing for objects that light up or make noise.

Lightningfun64

YouTube Username: lightningfun64

Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:57 am

We have one model 2 siren in Dareton, NSW. We had another in Toowoomba but got replaced by a Klaxon SO4.

Lightningfun64

YouTube Username: lightningfun64

Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:06 am

I have no clue where you got darley champions in australia thats just misinformation, However we have a similar to the darley model 2 siren called the "Grifco 888", But the 888 has some differences such as the thicker stator and ect.

gabrielmiauw1

Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:30 am

Kasey wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:03 pm
gabrielmiauw1 wrote:
Kasey wrote:
Ah.
I have photos of German sirens, one of them is SiRcom SiBT 3200 in queensland, Polo flat Elektror S3 siren as a factory siren, Sonnenburg SES 1200 (POSSIBLY) siren in Oakey, QLD and more.
Attachments
Fire siren in Sapphire..png
Fire siren in Sapphire..png (65.41 KiB) Viewed 991 times
Elektror S2 siren in Polo flat. Address 49 polo flat road polo flat NSW Australia..jpg
Elektror S2 siren in Polo flat. Address 49 polo flat road polo flat NSW Australia..jpg (74.28 KiB) Viewed 991 times
Emerald Bushfire alert sirens.jpg
Emerald Bushfire alert sirens.jpg (16.9 KiB) Viewed 991 times
Biloela SiRcom SibT bushfire alert siren..jpg
Biloela SiRcom SibT bushfire alert siren..jpg (11.27 KiB) Viewed 991 times

A HHCD manager and a Australian siren enthusiast.

The avatar from my account as what you see is a Elektror S3A in Grafton, VIC, Australia.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”