carolinasignalco

explain weather radios please?

Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:27 pm

i need somebody to explain how weather rads work, and what they do. are they like a phone where they wake you up at 3 because the eas alert goes off, and when you roll over to smash your phone with the hammer on your nightstand you accidently hit the activate button setting off the carolina fire siren on your deck, than the relay terminals weld and it gets stuck in attack, and you have to go outside and unplug your siren lol.
Proud owner of the Carolina Signal co, a mini siren manufacturing company.
I dont check my email!! please dont email me about mini sirens. i only respond to pms. (sorry) get used to typos

StormanCharlie
YouTube Username: Same as username

Re: explain weather radios please?

Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:47 pm

carolinasignalco wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:27 pm
i need somebody to explain how weather rads work, and what they do. are they like a phone where they wake you up at 3 because the eas alert goes off, and when you roll over to smash your phone with the hammer on your nightstand you accidently hit the activate button setting off the carolina fire siren on your deck, than the relay terminals weld and it gets stuck in attack, and you have to go outside and unplug your siren lol.
As one with 4, weather radios work as follows:

An EAS alert gets issued. Lets say its a tornado warning. 3 header tones. will play and info will be encoded in those tones.
EX: ZCZC-WXR-TOR-045079-KCAE/NWS
ZCZC is the indicator for an issued alert.
WXR is the NWS's NOAA Weather Radio station sending the alert.
TOR is the alert code for tornado warning.
045079 is the SAME code for a certain county. If your weather radio has SAME tech, and this is the code for your county, then your radio will activate.
KCAE is the Weather Forecast Office, the people who sent the alert.
Somewhere in the code is how long the warning is for.

After this, you will hear a 1050htz attention tone for 8 seconds. If your radio doesnt have SAME tech, then your radio will activate for every alert that gets issued for the station coverage area. The alert is then relayed. After the relay, you will hear 3 short bursts that sound identical to the headers. This code will be encoded in the EOM bursts.
NNNN
This indicates the end of the alert.

This video should also help.
https://youtu.be/lBnPgOYvde8
16, and learning more every day

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”