SamtheSirenMan(531)

[NEW INFO 12/11/23] “Weltex” siren identity confirmed - E.D. Bullard Model 3H

Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:45 am

I was recently on a siren-hunting road trip in Eastern Oregon, and I stopped in John Day to get pictures of all their sirens and record the “Weltex” going off for its noon test.
I noticed that the Weltex had a tag, and I managed to get an up close shot:
Ladies and Gentlemen, we now finally have confirmation of the exact brand and model of the “Weltex” siren! It had been suspected for a while that these were E.D. Bullard sirens, however they don’t have the angled chopper that Bullards normally have. The tag reads E.D. Bullard Co, San Francisco, Model 3H27, - , Volts 220, Phase 3, - . All the names on all the maps that I own will be changed to match this new info. It looks like there could be a 3rd character after the 7 in 3H27, but it’s very faint and doesn’t readily match any character other than “+” so I don’t count it, as it’s most likely a scratch.
Last edited by SamtheSirenMan(531) on Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Siren enthusiast of about three to four years, one of the few siren YouTubers of Oregon
Owner of a partially screwed 1969 STH-10 and a few other small sirens
Oregon State Siren Map V. 2
Email(best contact method): [email protected]

Snowpix
YouTube Username: ArxCyberwolf
Discord: snowpix7911

Re: “Weltex” siren identity confirmed - E.D. Bullard Model 3H27

Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:41 pm

Holy, amazing discovery! Now everybody has to correct the titles on their YouTube videos of these lol
Just a wolf, siren enthusiast and railfan.
Owner of the Civil Defense Sirens Wiki, the best site for accurate siren information.
https://civil-defense-sirens.fandom.com ... irens_Wiki
Proud owner of an FS&S Model L and Sterling Type F!

LukeH

Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:46 pm

SamtheSirenMan(531) wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:45 am
I was recently on a siren-hunting road trip in Eastern Oregon, and I stopped in John Day to get pictures of all their sirens and record the “Weltex” going off for its noon test.

Ladies and Gentlemen, we now finally have confirmation of the exact brand and model of the “Weltex” siren! It had been suspected for a while that these were E.D. Bullard sirens, however they don’t have the angled chopper that Bullards normally have. The tag reads E.D. Bullard Co, San Francisco, Model 3H27, - , Volts 220, Phase 3, - . All the names on all the maps that I own will be changed to match this new info. It looks like there could be a 3rd character after the 7 in 3H27, but it’s very faint and doesn’t readily match any character other than “+” so I don’t count it, as it’s most likely a scratch.
Funny. But the kiddies will probably discredit you and continue plastering "Weltex" all over them, as I had argued for some time that there was literally zero confirmation on them being "Weltex". But I was ridiculed because they were "shaped similar".

Kudos on the find however.
Resident Historian
Denver Siren Expert
Michigan

supermaximax
YouTube Username: supermaximax
Discord: supermaximax

Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:09 pm

It's great that we found out the actual name of this type of siren, but I'm wondering as to who originally said these were Weltexs. Perhaps someone saw a on one of these with the name Weltex on it, or something else? My mind is boggled.

LukeH

Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:43 am

SirenTube wrote:
It's great that we found out the actual name of this type of siren, but I'm wondering as to who originally said these were Weltexs. Perhaps someone saw a on one of these with the name Weltex on it, or something else? My mind is boggled.
One of the Facebook "experts".
Resident Historian
Denver Siren Expert
Michigan

sirensandfirealarms
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: SuperSirex127
Discord: SuperSirex127#3917

Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:11 pm

SirenTube wrote:
If i remember correctly, Adam Pollak posted a picture on the Siren Enthusiasts facebook group of a larger, but similar looking siren in Gardena, California. It had a downward-facing chopper, motor on top, and three supporting legs. Everyone looked at that and thought that "surely, this other three-legged, downward-facing siren located in a similar area is related, right?".
Proud owner of 4 Model As(all in a state of disrepair), a USI siren, and a 16-port rotor from a Sterling M-10.

LukeH

Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:08 pm

sirensandfirealarms wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:11 pm
SirenTube wrote:
If i remember correctly, Adam Pollak posted a picture on the Siren Enthusiasts facebook group of a larger, but similar looking siren in Gardena, California. It had a downward-facing chopper, motor on top, and three supporting legs. Everyone looked at that and thought that "surely, this other three-legged, downward-facing siren located in a similar area is related, right?".
This is correct. One of the so called Facebook experts deemed them all Weltex sirens with no evidence, and the rest of the community ran with it. I had long suspected these to be E.D. Bullard sirens, as their vertically mounted sirens used nearly identical vertical mounts and motor covers. The Weltex Siren Adam posted had a much simpler design, housed the entire motor in the siren assembly itself and was larger than any of these sirens that all seem to be the same size and port ratio. However being 100% of all Bullard sirens we knew about used conical chopper assemblies, I had my doubts.
Resident Historian
Denver Siren Expert
Michigan

SamtheSirenMan(531)

Re: “Weltex” siren identity confirmed - E.D. Bullard Model 3H

Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:20 pm

More new info! Recently the Camas Valley FD in Oregon restored their Bullard, and posted about it on their facebook. They mentioned that it had a 10HP motor, although I am still skeptical of the given the size and volume of these, and the way E.D. Bullard did the model numbers of their other sirens, with the number in front of the H representing HP- e.g. 1/4H for a small vehicular siren.
More importantly, they shared a tag shot with me:

Image courtesy of Camas Valley Volunteer Fire Department.

Here, the model number stamped is "3H260", rather than 3H27. I had wondered for a while if the suffix of the model number was actually part of the model designation, as it seems to bear no relation to the actual siren. This confirms that it may just be a serial number attached to the model number. Looking back at my older image of the John Day Bullard, its stamped number was probably "3H274" in full, so serial number 274. I'll be redesignating these on my maps as just "3H" to account for the variations in serials.
Siren enthusiast of about three to four years, one of the few siren YouTubers of Oregon
Owner of a partially screwed 1969 STH-10 and a few other small sirens
Oregon State Siren Map V. 2
Email(best contact method): [email protected]

TheTboltGangsta

YouTube Username: quality_alerts
Discord: 02042024

Re: [NEW INFO 12/11/23] “Weltex” siren identity confirmed - E.D. Bullard Model 3H

Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:38 pm

Nice find!
It was all just a dream :twisted:

Elliottalexa
Probation
Probation
YouTube Username: Sink

Re: [NEW INFO 12/11/23] “Weltex” siren identity confirmed - E.D. Bullard Model 3H

Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 am

I saw one without the top cover thing. And then it looked like a 🥫
Soup can! :lol:

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”