katzjeza

2t22 wiring

Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:21 am

Hey guys, so I'm finally getting around to restoring my 2t22a, and I will not be able to wire it up any time soon due to a lack of power source for the thing, but now that I think about it, the more I realize that I know basically nothing about wiring up these things, and it's very hard to wrap my head around it.

The basic setup the siren has had since I got it was: an AR timer with lots of wires going into a gray box (i assume it's a motor starter, i haven't taken a look under the gray casing), an emergency shutoff switch, and finally the siren. No radios or anything, the town it's from is very poor. I have since un-wired the AR timer since it's all rusty from sitting out in the open.

So, what i am asking for is, I would like to be shown some way to wire this thing up so i can just press a button on the timer and have it go. I can inspect the gray device if necessary.

Also, where can I get a replacement cable for the siren? mine was cut between the two rotors, way too short to do anything with

OHIO Desperado

Re: 2t22 wiring

Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:34 am

Pictures dude,,, they really help.
If you have no idea how to connect this stuff... DON'T.
You're not talking about some toy siren that need s 9 volt battery. And you never even mentioned the power requirements single or 3 phase and the voltage.

Don't be dumb and hurt yourself. Find someone that knows this stuff to help you.... it's not anything you can learn on your own without having issues along the way.

flatlandsparky

Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:00 am

If the internals of your AR are rusty, then do not energize it. If the internals are rust free and appear to be in good condition, then energize at your own risk. Use the forum search bar and type in AR manual, plenty of good information there. Based on the provided information, the siren was probably wired for 240, unless there's a control transformer in the starter box.

katzjeza

Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:43 am

kb8vul wrote:
You're not talking about some toy siren that need s 9 volt battery. And you never even mentioned the power requirements single or 3 phase and the voltage.

Don't be dumb and hurt yourself. Find someone that knows this stuff to help you.... it's not anything you can learn on your own without having issues along the way.
Im not asking because I don't know how to work with electricity, I am asking because I need to find someone who knows their stuff to help me with how a tornado siren is wired specifically. I've also stated it's a 2t22a, which does let you know it is in fact 3 phase. I don't have 3 phase, so I cant shock myself. Not yet at least.
flatlandsparky wrote:
If the internals of your AR are rusty, then do not energize it. If the internals are rust free and appear to be in good condition, then energize at your own risk. Use the forum search bar and type in AR manual, plenty of good information there. Based on the provided information, the siren was probably wired for 240, unless there's a control transformer in the starter box.
I actually energized it just a few days ago, it works just fine. I probably should have done a better job of explaining it, the rusted part is the timer's cabinet, the timer itself is just fine. I'm going to get a few pictures of my stuffs after i vacuum all the bugs out, since as kb8vul stated, it's probably gonna help. Im also gonna take a look at the gray box and take it apart, im fairly sure it's a motor starter at this point, what else could it be?

OHIO Desperado

Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:38 am

katzjeza wrote:
kb8vul wrote:

Im not asking because I don't know how to work with electricity, I am asking because I need to find someone who knows their stuff to help me with how a tornado siren is wired specifically. I've also stated it's a 2t22a, which does let you know it is in fact 3 phase. I don't have 3 phase, so I cant shock myself. Not yet at least.
flatlandsparky wrote:
I actually energized it just a few days ago, it works just fine. I probably should have done a better job of explaining it, the rusted part is the timer's cabinet, the timer itself is just fine. I'm going to get a few pictures of my stuffs after i vacuum all the bugs out, since as kb8vul stated, it's probably gonna help. Im also gonna take a look at the gray box and take it apart, im fairly sure it's a motor starter at this point, what else could it be?
Well, with your post, and the way it reads, it sounds like you are another 13 year old that got his hands on something he has NO IDEA about.
And you even commented that you were having issues wrapping your head around how it needed to be wired.
Now it sounds as if you have it all under control.

So how does it wire up?

Siren is fed power via the main contactor / motor starter. If that has to be replaced then the heaters in the new starter will need to match the HP rating of the motor on the siren.
It's 3 phase as you indicated, so you will of course need to identify the A B and C legs on the motor. But they should be marked so the siren rotates the correct direction.
You will need to mark those on the feed to the motor starter or put them in order, typically left to right A B C.
The AR timer will need to be checked to verify if it's wired 208 /220 or 110. Once you know that you can derive power from one or two of the feed legs on the constant side of the contactor.
That feed will need to be fused as the input feed should be fused at about 60 amps. Meaning if something goes wrong in the AR timer, it will burn down before the fuse blows, so put an inline 5 amp fuse to protect the AR timer and the wiring in it. You will also use that feed to energize the contactor typically to control the siren.

Easy Peazy. You shouldn't have any other issues then right?

katzjeza

Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:05 pm

kb8vul wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:38 am
katzjeza wrote:
kb8vul wrote:

flatlandsparky wrote:
Well, with your post, and the way it reads, it sounds like you are another 13 year old that got his hands on something he has NO IDEA about.
And you even commented that you were having issues wrapping your head around how it needed to be wired.
Now it sounds as if you have it all under control.

So how does it wire up?

Siren is fed power via the main contactor / motor starter. If that has to be replaced then the heaters in the new starter will need to match the HP rating of the motor on the siren.
It's 3 phase as you indicated, so you will of course need to identify the A B and C legs on the motor. But they should be marked so the siren rotates the correct direction.
You will need to mark those on the feed to the motor starter or put them in order, typically left to right A B C.
The AR timer will need to be checked to verify if it's wired 208 /220 or 110. Once you know that you can derive power from one or two of the feed legs on the constant side of the contactor.
That feed will need to be fused as the input feed should be fused at about 60 amps. Meaning if something goes wrong in the AR timer, it will burn down before the fuse blows, so put an inline 5 amp fuse to protect the AR timer and the wiring in it. You will also use that feed to energize the contactor typically to control the siren.

Easy Peazy. You shouldn't have any other issues then right?
Thats all I needed to hear, thank you. I simply don't do well with schematics.
I have a 2t22

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”