BBoi00
YouTube Username: Sirens and Stuff

Whelen ESC-2020 Help

Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:28 am

Hi all, hoping someone can shed some light on the problem I'm having. So recently I replaced some fried components in my esc-2020. Those components being:

- 2020 Logic Board
- Mother Board
- Chargers

After replacing these parts (pulled from a removed from service panel *Cook Nuclear*) I still had the same issue of the amps not turning on during a SI Test. They wouldn't activate for any signals either.

Steps taken:

-Tone detected on board
-4.75 volts detected (tone) at logic board and mother board
-No blown fuses
-batteries have sufficient charge under load (25.5v)

At the amplifier wiring harness:

-Blue and Black w/ White Trace - 4.75 vac
-Black and Grey - 11.73 vdc (should be 6 vdc)
-Black and Brown - starts at .8 to .6 vdc and continually falls (should be 5vdc)
-Black and White - 26.78 vdc (should be 24 vdc)

Amplifier Output Voltage - 0v

Trouble shooting led's are saying there's ac, dc, rotor, active, and fault. I've tried one of the parts panels amps and nothing happened there either. Chargers are working good.

Any ideas would be great as I'm feeling pretty defeated right now.

Also is there any other software download, or do I need to buy the $250 sdpts programming software to so much as troubleshoot this thing?

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Regards,

-Brendan
Happy and slightly confused owner of a STL-10, Whelen wps-2905, Federal Signal Thunderbolt 1000, and a Federal Enterprises Model-2

OHIO Desperado

Re: Whelen ESC-2020 Help

Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:29 am

Check that the cable on the right side going from amps 1-4 is connected there and not to amps 5-10.

Find a tone type wire tracer that is used to locate wire pairs by phone guys and network guys. Use that to verify that you are really getting audio to the amplifiers when you command it to sound.

It actually sounds like it's not getting bias to the amps though.
Do you have the oscillator board connected (rotator control) to the unit?
Do you have a logic board out of a Vortex or some other siren? That 2020 board was used in everything from a Hornet to a WPS2900-10. The amps and the oscillator board / rotation controller were different however and if it's not seeing what it thinks it should, it's not gonna turn on the bias.

You do have at least ONE good speaker driver connected to the amps right?

With the fact that the siren you are working on had a bad logic board, bad mother board and bad chargers, you SURE your amps are good. I would be looking real close at them too.
Or did you just shotgun the parts at it trying to get it running?

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”