Snowpix
YouTube Username: ArxCyberwolf
Discord: snowpix7911

The Civil Defense Sirens Wiki

Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:10 am

Alright, I believe that I've gotten the wiki to the point where it's ready for everyone to see.

So, I've noticed that a lot of siren wikis dotted around are filled to the brim with misinformation, and very poorly written articles filled with grammar and spelling errors, usually made by children. This is bad, obviously, as it's how misinformation gets spread around. Unfortunately, the main ARS siren wiki isn't much help either, as it's missing information on a lot of sirens and can't be edited, and hasn't been touched in a long time. So, I decided to make my own contribution to the community by making the Civil Defense Sirens Wiki.

https://civil-defense-sirens.fandom.com/f

Now, it isn't quite done yet, there are still more articles that need to be made, but I've covered most American sirens. All of the information on the wiki was sourced from places such as the forums here, from other respected and trustable enthusiasts, and I made sure that there is no misinformation. All of the articles are written properly, and are meant to be informative and helpful. Huge thanks to people like Armoturo for helping me with some of these, as my own knowledge of some of these sirens was limited. Anyone here can edit the wiki, but misinformation and such will not be tolerated.

I hope that this is helpful!
Just a wolf, siren enthusiast and railfan.
Owner of the Civil Defense Sirens Wiki, the best site for accurate siren information.
https://civil-defense-sirens.fandom.com ... irens_Wiki
Proud owner of an FS&S Model L and Sterling Type F!

sirensandfirealarms
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: SuperSirex127
Discord: SuperSirex127#3917

Re: The Civil Defense Sirens Wiki

Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:04 pm

This is an excellent idea, i've noticed way too often that new kids are getting their siren information based on outdated or incorrect info from the sea of other poor attempts at creating a wiki. this is the first one that seems to be somewhat competent that isn't the official ARS wiki. that being said, i really wish it was possible to host it on MediaWiki rather than the atrocity that is Fandom.
Proud owner of 4 Model As(all in a state of disrepair), a USI siren, and a 16-port rotor from a Sterling M-10.

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: 301.3 Productions
Discord: nottimwakefield

Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:56 pm

The official ARS wiki desperately needs an upgrade, although I'm not sure where the editing permissions went for everyone else unless it's for a specific usergroup. It would be fantastic to turn the official ARS wiki into a clone of the fandom one, that way it's already linked everywhere but is also more accurate and on dedicated wiki software.
-Nik VW
3.6 roentgen - Not Great, not terrible.

JPPow357
YouTube Username: koisignals

Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:14 pm

Dang this is packed with information! Pretty much every other source for siren information (not including these forums/its wiki or the siren info spreadsheet, of course) only has like, two sentences and barely anything useful, if at all. This though is absolutely filled with information and very well done. Good job on this!
sirensandfirealarms wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:04 pm
.. I really wish it was possible to host it on MediaWiki rather than the atrocity that is Fandom.
You said it. Fandom is just weird and horribly designed. Ads covering every inch of content and so many of them that you can't load it. Adblockers help but gaps are still present in random places. Let alone the side of Fandom that makes like... really.. weird things. Don't know what MediaWiki is but I bet it's better than Fandom, lol.

But still, this wiki is really impressive! Will definitely be useful for, like, half the time I'm even doing siren stuff since I don't know a lot of specifics :lol:
Pretty much nothing can beat listening to Danny Harmon's railfanning videos while hunting for railroad signals in the middle of nowhere Ohio.
- Johnathan “JP” D.

Snowpix

Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:34 pm

Heh, yeah, Fandom is definitely not the best place for it, but it's the easiest thing I could use and I wasn't aware of any alternatives like Mediawiki. I'd be completely willing to port everything over to a better site if it became necessary lol
Owner of the Civil Defense Sirens Wiki, the best site for accurate siren information.

WillamsH28
YouTube Username: JakeH28

Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:26 pm

I love this wiki, but I agree that if I could do it feasibly, I would go with anything BUT Fandom. Really wish I could edit the actual ARS Wiki, but even if it were allowed my account is broken :/

sirensandfirealarms
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: SuperSirex127
Discord: SuperSirex127#3917

Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:47 am

Don't know what MediaWiki is but I bet it's better than Fandom, lol.
Mediawiki is the program that Wikipedia uses for its websites. Fandom technically runs on a version of it but its heavily modified to fit their branding. The ARS wiki also uses it. I'm not sure if its free to use like fandom is though
Proud owner of 4 Model As(all in a state of disrepair), a USI siren, and a 16-port rotor from a Sterling M-10.

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: 301.3 Productions
Discord: nottimwakefield

Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:57 pm

Our Air Raid Sirens wiki (wiki.airraidsirens.net) is presently set up so only verified users can edit it due to an influx of spam bots we had a few years ago. I can get in contact with a Wiki Administrator if you'd like to be able to access the official Wiki and merge yours over to that.
-Nik VW
3.6 roentgen - Not Great, not terrible.

Snowpix

Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:54 am

nvanw27 wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:57 pm
Our Air Raid Sirens wiki (wiki.airraidsirens.net) is presently set up so only verified users can edit it due to an influx of spam bots we had a few years ago. I can get in contact with a Wiki Administrator if you'd like to be able to access the official Wiki and merge yours over to that.
That would be great, it'd be a lot easier for everyone to browse, and would be higher profile than the CDS currently is

HDN
YouTube Username: NotSureHowLoudThisCanGet

Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:48 am

I read several articles and found them well-written and informative. Nice job!

One thing I think can use some improvement is curbing any personal opinion on facts. For example, the FS-500 article mentioned an aspect of the suspected prototype of that model as "obviously stupid". That's just an opinion and not reflective of the purpose of the prototype, nor does it contribute anything to the article. I say that not knowing who originally wrote that as it's my understanding that all this information is gathered from all different sources and vetted for accuracy.
~1950 Federal Enterprises Model 5 - 12-port
1995 AM General M35A3

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”