traintraveler

Chinese Mystery Siren

Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:56 pm

Screenshot 2022-12-30 184904.png
Screenshot 2022-12-30 184904.png (763.05 KiB) Viewed 2005 times
This is from a video taken in China in 1988. It could possibly be some equipment for the yard, but that siren part in me keeps questioning it. It sort of looks like a Thunderbeam. Maybe its an original Federal? It could also be one of those Chinese knockoffs.
Here is the video mentioned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzsWML1_KvA&t
EDIT: This is located in the City of Chengdu.
High Hoods!
Lord knows I can't change
Lord, help me, I can't change
Lord, I can't change
Won't you fly high, free bird, yeah

07VFDInLCD
YouTube Username: Siren Archives

Re: Chinese Mystery Siren

Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:43 am

It's hard to tell from this image, but that looks like it is one solid object. It might possibly be a distribution transformer of some sort, as it's on a pole with power lines running nearby.

It does have the Thunderbeam shape to it, though.

traintraveler

Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:26 am

07VFDInLCD wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:43 am
It's hard to tell from this image, but that looks like it is one solid object. It might possibly be a distribution transformer of some sort, as it's on a pole with power lines running nearby.

It does have the Thunderbeam shape to it, though.
You're probably right. I believe they were electrifying the line at the time, but then again I don't think a transformer would be THAT large. Also, I don't see any others like it in the video. The same one is seen a few more times in said video.
High Hoods!
Lord, I can't change

duckwaddledup

Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:03 am

could even be a sand tower as you can see they have a similar shape to them but i don't know
a proud owner of a FS model A and a selectone

ModifiedCyclone125

YouTube Username: Consolidation1282
Discord: Consolidation1282#1282

Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:32 am

To be honest, Its extremely unlike-y to have a Thunderbeam or even a knockoff one in china. To me the shape and size doesn't match up to a RSH-10 Thunderbeam since I looked at other parts of the video where you can see it.

EDIT: Just a few seconds after posting this, I found out that there is a spout arm running from the supposed Thunderbeam, So like duckwaddledup said this is definitely some sort of a sand tower for the railroad since it seems to be too small for a water tower and that there wouldn't be a reason for a spout arm coming from a Thunderbeam if it was one anyways.
Some guy who is interested in Taiwan's siren system as well for a few others,

Have I heard a siren? Yes, The Darley 3V8 In Columbia, CA Doing a noon blast. Do I own a siren? Sort of, A Vixen Horns Hand Crank Siren.

traintraveler

Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:29 pm

ModifiedCyclone125 wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:32 am
To be honest, Its extremely unlike-y to have a Thunderbeam or even a knockoff one in china. To me the shape and size doesn't match up to a RSH-10 Thunderbeam since I looked at other parts of the video where you can see it.

EDIT: Just a few seconds after posting this, I found out that there is a spout arm running from the supposed Thunderbeam, So like duckwaddledup said this is definitely some sort of a sand tower for the railroad since it seems to be too small for a water tower and that there wouldn't be a reason for a spout arm coming from a Thunderbeam if it was one anyways.
Good eye! I didn't notice that until now. I think we can conclude this is not a siren.
High Hoods!
Lord, I can't change

Return to “Mystery Sirens”